Cookbook Recommendations | Pad Patter 07.30

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by ArmyGrl, Jul 30, 2022.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

The retaurants were good too... the Boiler Room they closed last year or maybe it was 2020.. we ate there too... We went to Chef & the Farmer Twice for dinner and I met Warren and my hubby took my photo with him... Also Susan & Maria 2 of the waitresses and Kim the Pastry girl is friends with me on FB... I met Vivian Howard at the Book Signing of her first book.. I like her a lot :) Kinston is a very small rural town.. the restaurant right now is closed.. she is revamping it now, but the food we had and what we have made from the book is fantastic... We loved Scarlet's (her Mom's recipe) Chicken & Rice.. have made it here plus her cheese ball and her spiced pecans called Vivian's addiction... we make those for the holidays!!

2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I just got rid of all my cookbooks in June! I wasn't using them. I have basic cooking skills and for when I want to try something new the internet is an endless resource.

My current favorite source of recipes is Rainbow Plant Life. https://rainbowplantlife.com If you need help learning how to cook and like watching videos, she does this on YouTube too. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDbZvuDA_tZ6XP5wKKFuemQ

Enjoy!

tanteva likes this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Every time my internet goes down I remember why I keep my cookbooks. :banghead It was up and down all week last week, so I cooked out of my books a lot more!

cfile likes this.
  4. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

Karen likes this.
  5. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

6. michelepixels

I would just cook basic meals.

7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

It does seem to have a lot of high recommendations so I'm pretty sure this will be a winner. When I get back from our vacation I am going to order it probably. I am keto so no sugar which means sauces almost always have to be homemade so I can use sweetener or other low carb ingredients.

bestcee likes this.
  8. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I don't use cookbooks... but I pin a lot of recipes...and I have a lot that have been passed down throughout the years.. I love to cook and have come up with a lot of my own staple recipes as well

9. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I need a bookmark for this thread :yup. Many, many great recommendations from blogs to books. Headed to Barnes and Nobles tomorrow....got a list compiled! If all else fails, there is always Amazon.

I love all the blog recommendations. But there is something about fingering through a book or magazine, looking at all the food pictures that makes me like books just a little bit more when comes to food inspiration. But for sure, I'll be visiting the blogs too!

Which reminds me, I go to King Arthur baking ALL the time! https://www.kingarthurbaking.com

Sara likes this.
  10. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I need to add some of these books to my amazon wish lists. I love cookbooks.

Half Baked Harvest books. She has recipes on-line too.
    America's Test Kitchen
    I have some different Taste of Home Recipe books that I like.
    I have some Indian, Chinese, Mexican, etc... books. Can't think of the names off the top of my head.

I also will check out books from the library.
    I love trying out new recipes.

11. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Ooo, I love cookbooks. I guess it depends on what kind of food you enjoy though. I have the America's Test Kitchen cookbook - I think Courtney mentioned that one - it is great for covering a little bit of everything.

My favorite recent purchase is Chinese Soul Food. Everything I've made from it has been outstanding. I want to tackle the soup dumplings but they are pretty complicated so I need to make some time for it!

ChineseSoulFood.jpg

12. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Oh yes, I love Half Baked Harvest recipes. I check the site often and also follow her on instagram.

Scrapping with Liz likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I totally feel this! I tried to use pinterest, but I'm a failure at cooking from it most of the time and default to looking through the cookbooks.

Yep! I'm cooked some of hers too. I found her through her cookbook: Damn delicious: 100 Super Easy, Super Fast Recipes. Then learned she had a blog. :giggle

14. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

michelepixels likes this.
  15. michelepixels

Yes! :love I thought about mentioning Pick Up Limes as well but decided to keep my post simple.

tanteva likes this.
  16. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Southern Living magazine is a great resource. Each year they combine all their recipes into one hardcover book. I have 10 years of those books and every recipe I've tried from them has been a winner. I'd bet they're available at the library.

bestcee likes this.
  17. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

BTW, I would be a lousy library worker if I didn't tell you to go to the library and check what they got. I often borrow cook books from the library to check if I need to buy them or not. Many times, I just copy one or two recipes that I find interesting, and then I've saved money not buying the book myself.

18. emjaytee

emjaytee Active Member

If you like flavour and spice, I recommend Marion Grasby. She has released a few cookbooks, and also has a website: Marion's Kitchen that has a ton of recipes (mainly Asian).

I cook at least one of her dishes every week, often more than one. I've loved everything of hers that I've ever made. Sooooooooo good!

bestcee likes this.