Cookbook Recommendations | Pad Patter 07.30

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by ArmyGrl, Jul 30, 2022.

1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Especially after watching all the food shows from Feed Phil to Street Food (Netflix) I have a hankering for a new cookbook or two.

I picked up some good ones from bargain bins such as Healthy Food of the Day and Soup of the Day. Great, enticing pictures and easy, yet tasty recipes. My husband got me a bread book for Christmas one year. I love it, although it is not a bread book for beginners. Its Bien Cuit, The Art of Bread. Its a swanky book! I picked up a Paleo magazine...its great too! That magazine has me making own Chicken Curry now. Never used coconut oil in cooking before that magazine.

I love flavor. And I'm ready to spend more time in the art of cooking. I grew up with very bland, out of the box foods. I don't do bland anymore! Bring on the flavor and spice...and spice does not have to be hot.

Got any cookbook recommendations?

Sara likes this.
  2. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Not a cookbook, but my best buy when it comes to books I use when cooking: The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit. A nerdy masterpiece about what flavours match. Love it!

3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Well, since I don't cook. - LOL. I used to but my hubby does most of the cooking now. I still have my old Betty Crocker cookbook and I learned to cook from her "Cooking For Two". It was like a cookbook for dummies. Hahaha

Actually, I hate to tell you this, but most of the recipes we/he (now) uses are family recipes. We have a pretty thick cookbook full of family recipes. Many years ago, the church Mom and Grandma attended put together a cookbook of homemade recipes. It's our go-to. They gifted all the families a book, several years ago and I'm the only one who still has it. I get lots of calls about how to make this or that. LOL

Chuck swears by the internet if what he wants to make isn't in one of our cookbooks. I actually have a binder full of online recipes.

4. ArmyGrl

Sounds like my kind of book!

tanteva likes this.
  5. ArmyGrl

Internet is an awesome place. Lots of blogs that explain some of the finer details of prep and cooking.
    I still like books when it comes to inspiration. And I need lots. I’m one of those 80s kids that ate lots of instant, boxed foods. Mac and cheese. Instant rice. Hamburger helper. Etc. throw in water. Add heat. Instant meal. So never really learned how to cook.

6. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I don’t have a tonne of cookbooks but most of my cookbooks are super specific to my dietary needs and food intolerances. I will say though 99% of the time I just modify existing recipes to meet my needs. I tend to use blogs mostly (Skinnytaste, Emily Bites & Kim’s Cravings mostly)

The two I use mostly are

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I usually use family recipes and/or things I grew up learning to cook. I have branched out and tried to recreate restaurant meals that we have enjoyed, and for that I do look to the internet for copycat recipes. I have a couple of church cookbooks and one from my mom's school (before she retired from teaching) and one from my SIL from her school. The one that I have reached for time and again since getting married (my MIL gifted me her copy) is Making Do by the Manna FoodBank. Especially now, with grocery prices continuing to rise, these are great recipes for plain cooking and being able to eat more economically. I found a copy of the cookbook on Etsy: Making Do, but they also have their recipes online for easy searching: Manna FoodBank Recipes.

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I own many cookbooks, and borrow thousands from libraries. Mostly, because I don't have space to own them all!

America's Test Kitchen - this was (is?) my bible for learning things. I watched the show on PBS (now online) and I've learned so much about how to cook and why we do certain things. It was the first place I learned the secret to a juicy pork chop is to sear on the stove, then finish in the oven. There are some recipes that are more step and time consuming than they need to be though, but I found it highly helpful. I have the one that's all seasons from 2001-2019 and their Family Cookbook.
    Along the same lines, but more comfort type food, and usually less technical is their cooks county cookbook. I find a lot of things in it like Cincinnati Chili and other regional delights.

I also have Good Cheap Eats in 30 minutes that I pull out on occasion. Usually when I'm stressed for time. She has a blog at goodcheapeats.com but the not all the recipes in the book are on the blog. I like that she has suggestions for making 1 thing that can become 2 different meals, or 1 ingredient that becomes more than 1 meal. My kid is starting to cook from this one.

Desperation Dinners is another in this category. It's not so much about the art of cooking as it is about teaching you how to use ingredients to toss food together quickly. Like cook some chicken, toss together a sauce in the same pan and add some frozen veggies for a quick mock chicken pot pie. Yummy, fast, but not as technical or involved as the ATK one. But it helped me learn about ginger frozen cubes and that is one of my favorite go to cooking ingredients.

No cookbook (yet, she just announced it) but I like the recipes from Tastes Better from Scratch blog. She's newer to me, but I haven't been disappointed yet. Most recently, I made Caribbean Jerk Chicken Bowls. Everyone loved them from the 12 year old to the 73 year old. Her Mexican rice is also really tasty. I love melskitchencafe for go to recipes. I make her spaghetti pie all the time. It feels like an upgrade from spaghetti, but not too much upgrade on work. Not all her dishes have a lot of spice, but I've only been disappointed by a handful in the decade or so of cooking from her blog.

Also, if your library has it, Make the Bread, Buy the Butter is a fabulous cookbook/teaching book. She talks about the benefits of cooking from scratch (like bread) but also when the work/cost savings/flavor just isn't quite worth it for most people (butter). I learned a lot, and it made me evaluate in my own cooking what is worth my time because I like the flavor better (homemade mayo), or the end result (refried beans!!), versus just buy (tortillas. Our Hispanic store makes them from scratch for me to buy!). I don't know that it's worth buying, but it's definitely worth reading.

9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

These from Vivian Howard from PBS’ Chef and the Farmer are awesome. We have been to her restaurant too and met her in person .. deep run roots and this will make it taste good both have great down home recipes plus stories :)

bestcee likes this.
  10. ArmyGrl

@littlekiwi I am intrigued by the Gut Friendly Book. Might have to buy that one! :yup

11. ArmyGrl

Thanks! I have that page bookmarked now...and the Recipe Book comes as PDF. Fantastic!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  12. ArmyGrl

@bestcee Thank you! For all of the AWESOME recommendations and the thought put into your post. This is going to help me lots!!!

bestcee likes this.
  13. ArmyGrl

Oooo... The Roots especially sounds like a winner! Eye candy + good read.

cfile likes this.
  14. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

ArmyGrl likes this.
  15. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

This is more information on the cookbook https://alittlebityummy.com/low-fodmap-cookbook/ She also has free recipes on her website and a recipe club with a monthly subscription as well. I got the cookbook for a really awesome price on our equivalent of EBay (actually I got both of them the same way) after borrowing them from the library first to see if they’d be of interest to me.

17. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

I pin most recipes I want to try, so my best cookbook lives in a board called Tried and True where I pin again once I’ve made then and know I will again. Some of my favorite repeat recipe blogs are Iowa Girl Eats (she’s all about quick comfort food and is also GF) and Half Baked Harvest (great flavor and ideas).

18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

norton94 likes this.
  19. bestcee

This show was so fun to watch too!

cfile likes this.
  20. bestcee

I'm intrigued by this one, but haven't had a chance to look through it yet. Have you?