Rachel's August Mixed Media Challenge | Special Edition

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by Rachel Jefferies, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

Hi there!

I hope this note finds you all well! I'm here a little early this month due to a family holiday and I'm excited to host the August 2022 Mixed Media Challenge.

Our July challenge is open for a little longer and the winner of this challenge will be announced shortly after the challenge closes. Watch the July challenge thread for the announcement of the July winner.
    _ _ _ _ _

I've hosted the August challenges for the last couple of years now as this is the month I am lucky enough to be able to celebrate my 'Designer-versary' here at The LilyPad!

Last year we completed a 'Scrap Your Stash' Challenge and this year we are going to do the same but with a twist plus I have some extra rewards for those of you who participate, read on for more details . . .

The twist is a game that i've played a lot in the past around the big digital scrapbook holidays but I haven't hosted the game in a while. I thought it would be fun to associate it with the challenge this month to give it a little twist!

Which Kit are you and why?
    • Dig through your Rachel Jefferies stash and select one or more products to create with that represent YOU somehow in your life right now.
    • Which product/s connect and resonate with how you are feeling or what you are experiencing in your life at the moment?
    • Any part of the product/s can be the deciding factor in your choice, the imagery, the feeling it evokes to you, the colours and how they make you feel, the textures, the journaling prompts, just go with your gut with your choosing.
    • Mixed Media is a great tool to visually represent and articulate our feelings or life experiences. Your challenge is to create a brand new page using the product/s that you have just chosen and to create about whatever is on your mind.
    • You don't have to include a photo and you don't need to include journaling if you don't want to share it. Journaling can also be obscured with paint and elements etc. if you want to jot it down but don't want everyone to be able to read it.
    • It would be nice if you shared the product/s image with us of the Kit that you felt connected to. This helps us to get to know you better and leave meaningful comments on your finished page! You can do this by posting it here in this thread when you post your finished page. If you need help with how to post the product images in this thread see here.
    This month I'm choosing Somewhere Inbetween as the Kit that resonates with me right now and represents me. The Journal Prompts 'Learn', 'Prepare' and 'what has been' and 'what is coming' are very fitting as my daughter Mackenzie just completed her Nursery School placement. Nursery School have been preparing her for the new chapter in her life coming in September when she starts Infant School. I have mixed emotions about her closing a chapter in her life, saying goodbye to the early years and starting school!

[​IMG]

And here is my page that I've created with this collection . . .
    [​IMG]

Some more inspiration from the team . . .

From Christa @cfile :
    For me right now I am experiencing melancholy. I am missing my family that has passed on more than usual, and also for the way things were. It could be with everything going on in the world, I am having a yearning for yesteryear and simpler times. Looking at old photos and scrapping them, is a real comfort for me. I chose the Viridian Collection as the color scheme represents calming earth tones which ground me as family does with it's roots.
    [​IMG]

And a page from Christa

cfile20220801RJaugchall.jpeg

From Geraldine @Dady :

I used
    Silent Battles: Stress
    Stress is what I'm feeling at the moment, everything that's happening in the world has a lot to do with it I think and this summer on the French Riviera it's literally suffocating, I can't stand the heat any more, today at 2pm it's already 36°C in the shade
    [​IMG]

And a page from Geraldine

Dady_Rachel-challenge-Aug.jpeg

From Marilyn @mcurtt :

In addition to the loving the pinks and purples of Give Yourself Permission, I am in tune with the message. I am having a couple of eye surgeries over the next few weeks. Some people are not happy with my decision, but after a lifetime of being almost legally blind, I am looking forward to a world that I can see.
    [​IMG]

And a page from Marilyn

Marilyn_Rachel-Jefferies_2022-07_July_Challenge_TLP_what-resonates-with-you_web.jpeg

Roxana @Roxana connected with my Messy and Imperfect Collection and created a page for you as inspiration.
    [​IMG]

Roxana_All Messy.jpeg

From Ann-Sofie @Annsofie :
    Ann-Sofie connected with All in my Head: Collage Bits and Bobs. I have always had a lack of self esteem and confidence and I know it’s all in my head. It’s something I work with everyday and it’s getting better with age :) I have a big project coming up at work, when I return from vacation, and I thought this page could be a great reminder that I’m good at what I do and that I can do anything that I want and that I am my worst enemy.
    [​IMG]

A page from Ann-Sofie

annsofie-augchall-rj.jpeg

Extra Rewards this month

As a special treat, when the new challenge is posted in September I’ll be gifting a $20 coupon to two winners drawn at random.

A second random draw will also take place from all the eligible pages that were submitted to the challenge to select one Guest Creative Team Member who will work alongside my team and I during September and October 2022.

Bonus Entries for the Guest Spot Drawing

For those of you who are keen to continue scrapping your Rachel stash during this anniversary month, feel free to use this thread to link us up to additional pages you have created.

I'll count these as bonus entries when I do the second random draw for our Guest Spot Winner. These bonus entries still need to meet the Challenge Requirements listed below.

Challenge Requirements for all pages submitted:Your layout must be comprised of 100% Rachel Jefferies products; 90% must be currently available in her store. You may use up to 10% of retired products.

• You may use items from any collaborations that Rachel was a contributor too that are currently for sale in her shop.
    • Upload your layout to the Rachel Jefferies Designs Gallery at TLP and list the products used in your credits.
    • For your challenge entry to be counted, you MUST upload your finished layout to this thread. Please link your thread to your gallery image as it helps us leave love on your layout (and, validate your project).
    • No double-dipping, your layout must be used for this challenge only, no others. You must create a new layout for this challenge.This challenge will remain open through the end of 31st August 2022.
    Happy Scrapping through this month, please tag me if you have any questions!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    G.J. likes this.
  2. Roxana

Roxana Bananas for radishes

Here is my page using "Messy & Imperfect" collection"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  3. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Here's mine

[​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  4. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Question: Can I mix kits/products? I'm a too complex person to fit into one kit. :hehe

(Just read over there <--- under my name)

5. Rachel Jefferies

Yes as long as all of the packs fit into the spirit of the challenge (selecting a Kit or packs that represent you right now and why) - i'll update the opening post to clarify this!

tanteva likes this.
  6. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Mine with a link back to my gallery. :-)

[​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Mine with link back to gallery:
    [​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  8. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Happy Designer-versary Rachel! Looking forward to scrapping this challenge. :)

9. tanteva

Happy designniversary!

Thank you for this challenge - made me think! Started with thinking "Where am I in life?", and that's an easy question to answer, right? LOL But I ended up thinking about how I'm doubting my journey, not feeling any progress, wanting things to go faster, maybe even feeling I've moved a bit in the wrong direction lately. So .... I wanted to make a layout about trusting myself and my progress and not giving up. Browsed through the store and the "HEY GIRL KEEP GOING OK?" wordart was literally screaming at me, and I built my layout around it.

[​IMG]

But I wanted to add the part of TRUSTING myself as well, so I mixed in pieces from these 2 kits as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I confess ... I sorta went bananas on the wordart front. :bwaveFinally, I added the date stamp for Aug 2022 to tell myself this is my goal and intention for the coming month.

Here's the layout:
    [​IMG]

Will be back again with more layouts during the month - a guest spot is really interesting!

Rachel Jefferies and flowersgal like this.
  10. Annsofie

Annsofie Crime Books & Cozy Nooks

Happy Designer-versary Rachel! Here is my page with link to credits.
    [​IMG]

Rachel Jefferies and flowersgal like this.
  11. myka

myka Well-Known Member

I used your Trust the Journey - stay Patient bundle and this layout is probably cheesy, but it's where I'm at. About to make a major life decision, so I'm vacillating between, excitement, dread, fear, anxiety, giddyness, and anxiousness and JOY. It's likely NOT what you are thinking, but it's really big for me!!
    [​IMG]

tysam55 and Rachel Jefferies like this.
  12. tanteva

Bonus Entry:
    Used And So Here I Stand & We Are Shifting for this week's Muse:

[​IMG]

Rachel Jefferies likes this.
  13. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks for the challenge and Happy Design-anniversary, Rachel! Here's my page and
    "I AM" 3 of your kits - about 2 years ago, we made a big move half-way across the country to a brand new terrain - we now live in the foothills of The Ozark Mountains and see lots of hills and water and hiking trails. It was a change we were looking forward to, but a huge change, nonetheless. In trying to process everything, I found these 3 kits so helpful to getting my feelings out. It was fun to use them all on one page.

[​IMG]ab

Look-Deep-Into-Nature.jpg

The-Path-I'm-On.jpg

trust-the-journey.jpg

15. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Great challenge Rachel!

The kit that I feel connected to right now is "Sacred Time for Ourselves." The journaling prompt "you are worth whatever amount of time you need" speaks volumes to me. I need quiet. I need alone time. I don't get as much of that in the summer with everyone home, so I am looking forward to my kids going back to school. I always feel a little guilty saying that, so that's why I like how the journaling prompt says "you are worth (it)." That's a great reminder - I AM worth it. I need to remember that so the guilt doesn't take over.
    [​IMG]

The page I made for the challenge is below. I wanted to use a photo of myself so I blended it into the background. Rachel's confetti papers/cards/everything are my favorite so I loved using a confetti paper for my base.
    [​IMG]

16. tanteva

Bonus entry. Used Trust The Journey: Stay Patient for Scrapping with Liz's MIS challenge:

[​IMG]

17. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I am feeling sad, depressed right now..
    I used the Hear Our Voices : Hurt and Silent Battles: Grief for my layout

[​IMG]

I will be back with more later on

18. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I used
    Every Last Minute: The Complete Mixed Media Collection
    Pocket Art: Signature Kit 6

I tried to show how excited I am about my upcoming wedding! :) I used photos of my wedding party flowers with Rachel's kits... I loved the colors in these kits and the word "love" and the hearts! the fall colors were perfect for my upcoming fall wedding! and these kits are some of my favorites! they just make me happy

[​IMG]

19. tanteva

Another bonus entry from me. I'm (not LOL) sorry for flooding this thread.

[​IMG]

tysam55 and Rachel Jefferies like this.
  20. Rachel Jefferies