Meeting Scrappers in Public??

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dotcomkari, Jul 25, 2022.

1. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I was just in the Dollar Tree in Rochester, MN with Neelix minding my own business looking for crap wasting time . . When a random woman came running up to me. "Omg omg You are Dotcomkari"... mmm yes.. "you're my scrap idol, can I get a photo with you?" . .. made my whole day guess she realized who I was from a scrapping forum. That ever happened to anyone??? Anyone meet another scrapper?

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've met other scrappers but not like that! I've been to quite a few retreats that were organized by members of a scrapping forum. Some of us even went on a cruise as a large group in 2010. Some of them are very good friends of mine even today. None live in my town but do live about an hour from me.

Several other members here were on that forum as well. I know I met one in person and I think I might have met another one but it was a really large retreat so I'm not sure.

bonnenuit and dotcomkari like this.
  3. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

That is so cool Kari!! Just like a rockstar!

dotcomkari likes this.
  4. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Like Rene, I know a number of scrappers from the same scrapbook board, although I’ve never met Rene IRL. I’ve been to a number of retreats with them, flew to Chicago five-six years ago to met up with three gals. A friend and I have been holding regular retreats for some of these gals since 2005.

My last trip to Disney World was with a gal I met on that board. She flew all the way from Vancouver, Canada to join me. Fun stuff!

dotcomkari likes this.
  5. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I'm mostly friends with them all online. I've met one in person just last year.

I do know a few stay in my state but we've never had a meet up

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Only intentionally.

Twice around 2010 a group of us in another digiscrap forum arranged weekend get togethers in a hotel in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. A 5-hour drive north for me, they were my first times leaving my children for so long but they were wonderful experiences and I am still online friends with one of them mainly via Facebook.

And last summer on my road trip I met TLP friend @FarrahJobling :love

If there are any plans forming in the mid-Atlantic U.S. region for a TLP get together, I'll be there! I'd even go further if schedule and finances permit.

I have talked about my digiscrapping to strangers. At one of the pit stops on my road trip last year, inside a restaurant, I said something about taking a picture so I could put it in my scrapbook and the woman I was talking with confusedly asked, "Your son's apartment?" She had misheard me, and then seemed like she hadn't heard of scrapbooking before when I explained. :lol2

7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I met this gal, I know. Hubby thought I was crazy for meeting someone from inside my computer. LOL!!!!

LoveItScrapIt and dotcomkari like this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I just think that's the coolest story!!
    I met one scrapping friend probably about 12 years ago when I went to San Antonio. It was fun! I'd love to meet all of y'all!!

dotcomkari likes this.
  9. dotcomkari

There are so many scrappers close by me in the Midwest I'm dying to just drive and meet.. someday I'm just gonna hop in my car and do so. .... just go knock on some doors..lol hello ...nnn hi...lol

10. HavaDrPepper

Any chance you were at Lynchburg in 2009? If so then we might have met. There were over 40 people there so it is hard to remember. I was also getting sick that weekend and stayed in my corner of the room and scrapped. Thought it was a sinus infection and found out when I got home that I had pneumonia!

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  11. Memaw2Wm

Yep sure was, but I'm pretty sure I didn't meet you. Back then I tended to stick with my small group and I actually scrapped vs. socializing. :)

Lynchburg retreat folded when Liberty University bought the hotel where the retreat was held to use as student housing. Then Terri started one in Richmond, but she had issues with finding a reasonably priced, decent venue. So now Tricia and I run two "axe-murderers" retreats each year (spring and fall).

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That is so cool that you were recognized from digiscrapping out in the wild. :giggle That would have totally made my day too! Do you know which forum they knew you from?

I've met quite a few of the scrappers from here at TLP. I met Laura with about 8 of us Pollys about 10 years ago when we had a weekend retreat together and then we did another weekend retreat about an hour from my house to meet up with a bunch of scrappers from the Chicago area.

The first time I met that group of my "imaginary friends" (as my hubby calls my online friends) was just North of Chicago. I drove to one of the old Polly's houses and met up with about 10 other girls. They had monthly get togethers and invited me to come to one. My hubby was so freaked out about it and told me to call as soon as I got there, but I was so excited, that I forgot and he really freaked out until I answered the phone. :rofl Whoops!

jk703, norton94 and EHStudios like this.
  13. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

On topic.....I think we should plan a meeting soon.....

jk703, bonnenuit, Karen and 1 other person like this.
  14. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I’ve met a couple “internet friends” before, but for scrapping only met @bestcee 4 years ago!

I’d love to be able to do a retreat or get together as I know there are tons of TLP forum members close-ish. I’d still be an awkward one but I’d be down!

bestcee and Karen like this.
  15. HavaDrPepper

We probably just met in passing but didn't spend any time together. I spent all my time with Nicole, Nancy, Susan (Betty Cropper and I came together) and a few others I knew from when they came to the Ohio retreat. We were at a big long table on one side of the room.

That was actually a very nice venue with that huge room and the hotel rooms.

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  16. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

That is so cool Kari!!
    I’ve met a couple “Brazilian internet friends” before.
    Wish I live closer so I could meet several digi friends!

17. dotcomkari

Eric calls the scrapping community the scrap mafia.. LMAO... *L*

Karen likes this.
  18. Memaw2Wm

The crop room was nice and big, but the hotel rooms weren't the best and they got worst every year. And Lechia had issues with the food service. It's just really hard to balance a nice venue with a reasonable cost. So many hotels require you to have "x" number of rooms rented in order to get the crop room at a semi-reasonable price, use their catering services (so no food in the crop room), etc. It can be a nightmare.

19. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

DD and I are planning to meet @bellbird in Sydney in just over a week!!! So very excited. Unfortunately, although we are visiting NZ, we can not see @LynnG or @littlekiwi. Guess we just have to make another trip back when we are not limited by a tour group.

jk703, Angela Toucan, bestcee and 4 others like this.
  20. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Hubby and I spent the afternoon with Cynthia aka @MrsPeel and her daughter a few years back! We had such a great time and had lunch as well as did some sight seeing!!! Wish we all lived closer.

jk703, Angela Toucan and LynnG like this.