Drive-thru | Pad Patter 7.24

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jul 24, 2022.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Today is National Drive-thru Day!
    No drive-thru for me today, I actually cooked dinner :giggle
    I'd say we hit a drive-thru once or twice a week, depending on what's going on and how lazy I'm feeling. In the thick of Chance's extracurricular activities, we probably go way more than that. At this point, I'm pretty sick of all of them lol.
    I also always mobile order if possible. I hate sitting at a drive-thru while everyone decides what they want. I like being able to earn points as well.

Do you drive-thru often?
    Do you have a favorite?
    Do you use mobile ordering?

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

No.
    No.
    No.

I quit getting drive-thru meals about 15 years ago. Found out how much money I was wasting when I did (and I lost weight). The only time I will eat McD's or Wendy's is when I'm on vacation so haven't had them for a long time either. A new McD's was built in town (replaced the one I had worked at in 1973) in 2014. I still haven't been there. Those were the only 2 places I would go.

I honestly don't even know if mobile ordering is available around here. I mean I am in a really small town. The pizza places still take orders by phone and will deliver so if I do order out, that is what I get. When I retired in 2017 and before my dental issues, my cousin and I would eat out several times a week. A small diner in town and Bob Evans were our places to go. Even now that I can eat, I still don't go out. I'm just not comfortable eating in front of other people yet.

michelepixels and IntenseMagic like this.
  3. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

The fast casual and other places we like to eat don't technically have drive-thrus, but I love curbside pickup! A local Indian restaurant that I like and our favorite build-a-bowl place both have it. We also have a lot of places that do mobile ordering but then you have to go in and grab the food off a shelf. We tend to get restaurant food twice a week (once the whole family, and once just DH & me), and it's almost always ordered online.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

I totally get it. And fast food is sure not cheap anymore. If it was just me, I'd probably never go to any of them ever again lol

5. IntenseMagic

Yes, I love curbside pickup as well! I will always opt for something I can order online! Our favorite Mexican place does curbside, as well as a few of our favorite chain places. There's only a couple of places here that make you go in to get it if you mobile/online order.

rach3975 likes this.
  6. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

My hubby and I love to quote Lethal Weapon whenever we do go to the drive thru. And because of this quote (I won’t repeat it here because of the colorful language), we always must check our order. The only place we do drive thru is at Popeyes when I want a spicy chicken sandwich and the order is never right. Such a pain.

Also every once in a while I have someone ask me if they can get their vaccine through the drive thru. The answer would be no. I know some places do them that way, but at our pharmacy we have a drawer so not sure how that would work.

Iowan and IntenseMagic like this.
  7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

My hubs will eat drive thru more than I will. For me, I'd say maybe twice a month. I like A&W mozza burgers and onion rings. I like to get pizza at least once a month when I order delivery. That's about it for me. I try to eat healthy at home as much as possible.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Since I don’t drive, I don’t do drive through. I used to do quite a bit of pizza delivery ordering pre pandemic but quit that for a number of reasons. About the only thing I get now is Carl’s Junior/Hardee’s about once a month or so because my mum works there and brings dinner home. It’s pretty much the only burger place I can easily adapt to GF with a lettuce wrapped burger for no extra charge and their fries have maize cornflour rather than wheaten so I can have them too.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

Haha That is a great scene!
    *knocks wood* we haven't had a wrong order in a good while, but it used to be consistently, especially at one particular McDonald's.
    Just pass that syringe right through the drawer :giggle I don't see what could go wrong :compcoffee

10. IntenseMagic

I miss our A&W. It closed down several years ago and there's not another one anywhere close.

11. IntenseMagic

I love a lettuce wrapped burger! I'd say Hardee's is the place I go the least. I love their breakfast biscuits and gravy, but I'm not so fond of their burgers.
    I don't know about there, but here the price of pizza delivery has gone through the roof. I'm not paying $20 for a small pizza! The only place we can get a cheap pizza is Little Caesars and we do the mobile order/drive-thru there.

12. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

We seldom drive through, maybe summer time, hubby would get a dipped ice cream cone.
    We would probably go in and order than sit in the drive through.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

With my Mama being sick and me traveling to hospital/rehab/her house, and coming and going at odd hours, I would grab something to eat a couple of times a week or more. Pizza is a weekly thing for us. We have an amazing little dive at the end of the street that creates killer pies, so we order from them and pick up.

At this point, we're all sick of eating out. I've been home for a couple of days, so I've cooked and my family has been supremely happy. LOL

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Occasionally... we go through spurts depending on activities and laze level. lol!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Do you drive-thru often? Yes
    Do you have a favorite? McDonald's ... it's relatively cheap (2 McChicken, double cheese, 3 fries for $13.10), and both my picky DD and grandson will eat it
    Do you use mobile ordering? Nope

Since the older two grandkids have moved out we eat horribly b/c my DD and grandson are such picky eaters. If I cook, they likely won't eat it. So I get McDonald's way too often, we get subs once a week, and I have a huge supply of frozen pizzas and chicken nuggets in the freezer. I do eat a salad for lunch most days to balance my diet a bit.

And yes, I picked up Mickey Dees last night for dinner.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Not very often. It's soooo expensive for a family of 9. $50/60 plus and everyone is still hungry. We maybe go to a fast food place once a month at the most.

If we go to Chick-fil-A I'll do the mobile order to get points.
    And not sure about you guys, but around here fast food is not fast food anymore. There is such an employee issue that I see the lines and it's crazy!

A Cook-Out just opened and I took my kids to get shakes (they had to share - LOL!).

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

When my kids were young we did a lot of drive through.

Not much anymore, and the only drive through food I personally eat anymore is from Panera. Oh, I would also use CAVA's drive through too -- and that is mobile orders only -- but the one time I tried it they got three ingredients in my order wrong, so I prefer to go inside and point to what I want and watch them make it. :D

The drive through I'm in the most nowadays is Starbucks, with my daughter, one of her favorite treats.

@HavaDrPepper I haven't been to a McDonald's in several years either, and since I stopped going one opened about a half mile from my house. But in the same shopping area there is a Sonic, where my kids wanted to go a lot when they stopped liking McDonald's, and a Wendy's, which is their preference today. But we try not to do take out more than once or twice a month because yes, it has gotten ridiculously expensive. I'm willing to pay more for nutritious food like salads at Panera and veggies at CAVA but not hamburgers and fries!

@weaselwatchr I know I might find it by googling, but I'm a bit lazy, so feel free to ignore this, but if you have a minute to spare to indulge me, I'm very curious what the quote says (I've never seen the movie). Or at least the gist of it. I've had to to check take out orders seriously since the mid-2000's with my middle kid's severe food allergies and I'm still in the habit of it even if I'm not ordering for them because of the number of times my orders have been wrong.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I just looked to see what fast food is in my town. It is all located on the road at the interstate exit (about 5 miles on the other size of town). Besides McDonald's and Wendy's, there is Dunkin Donuts, Taco Bell, Subway, Burger King, Dairy Queen, Captain D's and Dunkin Donuts. We do have a Lee's Chicken about a mile from me (local chicken franchise).

Not much choice for my tastes. Don't like chicken or seafood. Don't eat subs. Not fond of Mexican food either (yes, I'm a picky eater). That just leaves donuts and ice cream besides the hamburger places. DQ only has vanilla ice cream... I hate vanilla anything. We do have local ice cream places that have chocolate if I'm inclined to get ice cream. And, the donuts from the small bakery downtown are so much better than Dunkin.

So yeah, not much choice for me! I do love Wendy's baked potatoes (bacon and cheese please) and I always preferred McDonald's fries over BK's. As for the hamburgers, I'm partial to mine done in the air fryer!

My preferred fast food hamburgers are actually at a place called Kewpee's in Lima. No frozen patties for them. Fresh made patties every morning and their frosties are better than Wendy's (little known fact: Wendy's founder Dave Thomas ate at a Kewpee restaurant and modeled Wendy's after them). Used to be Kewpee's in a lot of the midwest states but now there are maybe 5... 3 of them are in Lima (14 miles from me). I need to go to Lima and get me some Kewpee since I haven't had any for 4 years.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  19. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I'm often surprised we are not 100000 pounds.. we eat quite a bit of drive through... Eric likes burgers and fries and chicken sandwiches
    ...and we do a lot of road trips just for good food reasons such as chick filla or five guys..lmao...
    And we can't resist a good taco....
    But we heathly too... so it equals out

IntenseMagic likes this.
  20. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I despise drive-thrus. I only "do them" when I'm with my kids - they'll drive through just to get a coke. UGH.

That being said, we were in a neighboring, larger city last weekend, and went to Chic-Fil-a and I can now see why they've been named number one! There's a PERSON taking your order, a PERSON collecting your money and a PERSON standing beside the pick-up window. We were through there in a flash.

IntenseMagic likes this.