*WINNER ANNOUNCED* Layer Styled Papers | Summer School 2022: Week 1 LANGUAGE ARTS CLASS | CHALLENGE

Discussion in 'Summer School 2022' started by wombat146, Jul 4, 2022.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

WINNERS
    Winner 1: $10 coupon umyesh (Monica)
    Winner 2: $5 coupon Kendra
    Winner 3: $3 coupon wvufan04 (Cheryl)

Congratulations everyone, please check your PM's for your coupon codes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to the Lilypad's Summer School for 2022. We have a lot of interesting tutorials and challenges lined up for you over the next few weeks so I hope you all jump in to have some fun, perhaps learn something new and be in the running to win a prize as well!

Our lovely Paula Kesselring will be posting a tutorial on how to use Layer Styles later today so keep your eye out for that, especially if you are not sure what a Layer Style is or what it does. Here is the link to Paula's tutorial HERE

Week 1 Challenge:
    So this week's challenge involves applying a layer style on one paper in your layout. However, I am talking about applying a layer style that will visually change the look of your paper, so applying a layer style like a Drop Shadow is not what I am after. :) There are plenty of Styles that can be used to change the look of your paper, whether it be through changing its color, adding a texture to it or applying a pattern to it. Take a look through your stash to find those .asl STYLE files that you have downloaded with various kits and never used! :)

Specific Challenge rules:
    • create a layout about anything you want
    • apply a layer style to at least one (1) paper in your layout that will change the look of your paper
    • paper can be any size
    • please let me know the layer style you used when posting in this thread
    • *Note* for those that can not use Layer Styles in their particular software program, you can use a Filter in your own program or use an overlay clipped to your paper. Please let me know what program you used and what you did to change your paper.

Inspiration examples:
    I have compiled some inspiration examples for you, just showcasing some of the many layer styles that can be used for this challenge.

NBK Design - Nicole has a HUGE selection of layer styles that can be used to change the look of your paper.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just Jaimee also a fabulous collection of styles that you can use as well.
    [​IMG]
    Mommyish Design - and of course, we can't forget Leah with her stunning styles either!
    [​IMG]

These are just some examples of what is available, as I said, check out your stash first to see what you already have! :)

My page: A Taste of Summer
    For my page I used Nicole's Re-Invent Collection and applied her Watercolor Styles to 9 pieces of paper.

[​IMG]

I then arranged the paper squares behind the three photos of my youngest grandkiddies having fun at the beach a few years ago. I also used some bits and pieces out of Nicole's Sandy Beaches collection and cards to add some interest.

Now it is over to you, have some fun with layer styles! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! :)

Lilypad store prizes:
    Winner 1: $10 coupon
    Winner 2: $5 coupon
    Winner 3: $3 coupon
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    General Challenge Rules:
    - please refer above for the specific rules for this challenge
    - upload layout to the Lilypad Gallery
    - post your linked layout in this challenge thread
    - layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products (templates count as 15%)
    - uploads must be less than 250k
    - list all credits; no off-site linking allowed
    Deadline is: Sunday July 10th 11.59pm EDT

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    NBK-Design, Vrielinkie, Iowan and 9 others like this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

This is so fun Ona! I love layer styles and have tons of them, but I never think to use them for papers! Such a great idea!

3. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

this is super!! I need to play eith my styles, thanks for the inspiration, Ona!

4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

So how does someone do the challenge when they don't use a program that uses styles? At least give suggestions for us of other things we can do that will meet the challenge requirements.

5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

What program do you use? I’ll see if I can find an alternative.

norton94 likes this.
  6. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

Ona I love this! What a very cool outside the box way to use styles! So creative!

7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

The problem is that the requirements specifically say to apply a layer style and indicate what layer style is used. That to me makes it a pretty specific requirement that can not be met by users of other programs.

Yeah, I'm sure I could figure out how to possibly make a paper more watercolor in my program but it would not be using styles. IMO these challenge requirements are way too specific.

8. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

Thanks Ona @wombat146 for this amazing challenge!!!!!

9. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

This particular challenge does require the use of styles. During MOC and for our monthly challenges, we work very hard to make all of our challenges user friendly for all programs, but other events may occasionally have requirements that can't be met by every single program.

Karen likes this.
  10. wombat146

Sorry, for not putting in an alternative for those that don't use Photoshop and can't use styles. I will be happy to see you change at least one paper in your layout by adding a texture or pattern to it or by using a filter of some sort found in your program. So please let me know what you program you used and what you did to change the look of your paper. :)

Karen likes this.
  11. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Classic over-achiever LOL

Here's my layout for this challenge:

[​IMG]

The Rawr kit was great for this challenge, cuz of all the paper pieces. Used 3 styles:
    - Paula's freebie texture style on the blue solid background paper. Then I put a patterned paper over it and changed it's blend mode to Overlay and lowered the opacity a bit.
    - Mommyish's gesso style on the flower and leave. Changed the blend mode on the leave to Linear Burn. Also used this on the Alpha.
    - NBK's impasto style on the frame and the strip under it.
    Full credits in the gallery.

12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I used Paula's free pattern style giveaway from her Style tutorial as well as Nicole's Water Color Paper Style from her Re-Invent collection. Thanks for the fun challenge, Ona, and thanks for hosting!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  13. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I :beat LOVE :beat Styles! I use them on every layout I swear! ;)

I used a mommyish Vellum style on the chevron papers. It adds a slight pattern/texture to the paper & makes it slightly sheer!
    [​IMG]

14. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you Ona for the challenge

Mommyish - MPM Routine - Striped Vellum
    Mommyish - MPM routine crinkled on the background paper
    Mommyish_sept18-byoc_wood (on the small flowers on top)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    paula kesselring and norton94 like this.
  15. mywisecrafts

mywisecrafts Pollywog

This is fabulous!!!

norton94 likes this.
  16. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I have PSE 2018 and can't figure out how to load other styles so I used the included styles/image effects/snow on 4 papers.
    [​IMG]

paula kesselring and cfile like this.
  17. wombat146

Fabulous layouts everyone!!! Love seeing all the different styles you used!!

@marijke What styles did you use on your fantastic layout?? :)

paula kesselring likes this.
  18. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I used Paula Kesselring's Fabric Texture Styles #1 on both the background paper and the paper strips. Love the texture it adds!
    [​IMG]

paula kesselring and wombat146 like this.
  19. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

I cannot believe this! I had three styles in my cart yesterday, and was going to check-out, when I had 2nd thoughts. I can't buy THREE styles, I went back to the cart & deleted one. Yup! This vellum style! Now seeing your layout - I so regret it. Looks AMAZING!

amien1 likes this.
  20. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thanks Ona for this challenge ❤️
    I applied on the background paper, on the photo and on the frame in blend mode "linear light" mommyish_stylin249_bluejean

[​IMG]

paula kesselring likes this.