Hybrid Artists Wanted! What are your top three hybrid projects?

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by ArmyGrl, Jun 25, 2022.

Select the top three hybrid projects you are interested in:

Poll closed Jul 3, 2022.
  1. Pocket Pages

25.0%
  2. Scrapbook Pages

25.0%
  3. Art Journal/Collage

68.8%
  4. Greet Cards/Holiday Cards

18.8%
  5. Travel Notebooks/Mini-books

87.5%
  6. Planners

25.0%
  7. Loaded Pockets

18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Hi! Calling all hybrid artists and those who desire to learn and make hybrid art! Looking through the Hybrid Gallery, I am amazed at the talent and variety of hybrid projects from art journal pages to planners and cards!

Within the The Lilypad (TLP) Hybrid Forum we have a unique opportunity to learn new tricks of the hybrid trade, and to help newbies (me including) break into hybrid art.

The purpose of this poll is to learn what YOU our TLP community is interested in. Whether you already make hybrid art or would like to, I’d love to hear your thoughts and learn what sparks your creative juices.

In the near future, the Pollywogs would love to develop creative prompts to help us along the hybrid journey, deliver useful tips about techniques and products, and share hybrid secrets. But step one is learn what YOU, the community desires. So please, provide input into the poll and feel free to comment below with content you’d love to see in the Hybrid Forum! All ideas are welcome!

Note: This poll is open Saturday - Saturday, 25 June - 02 July (CST).

Thank you for your time! Happy Creating!

Lisa (@ArmyGrl)

2. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

yay! I'm very new, but very eager!

Karen and ArmyGrl like this.
  3. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

@ArmyGrl I want you to teach me how to make a book out of paper bags. :)

MishSpar, Cherylndesigns and ArmyGrl like this.
  4. ArmyGrl

Me too! I used to do organic art...but life/work lead me to digital. I LOVE digital and will never turn my back to it. But now that my lifestyle allows, I'm introducing organic art back into my routine. I look forward to experimenting, sharing, and learning from the community, designers and fellow Pollywogs!!!

5. ArmyGrl

Yay! I worked a bit more on my paper bag book/journal last night. I'll have to take some new photos. I have not done video. I should learn to. One step at a time, though. ASAP I'll be happy to create a tutorial.

tanteva likes this.
  6. Pachimac

I just cannot get the backgrounds like I see them. They look like a muddy mess to me. I want to blend and I have no idea how to do it. Sort of like this from Laly Mille. I'm not saying the entire design, but see how there are different colors and gesso?

Attached Files:

7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Y'all are making me want to do hybrid again. I've done a lot of trading cards for the exchanges we used to have here to The Pad. I have a lot of them in a binder. I also made an album out of flip flops once. I don't have it - my dd talked me out of it, but I have pictures. I've made an album out of paper bags, too but don't have pics. :(

ArmyGrl likes this.
  8. ArmyGrl

Cheryl, I've been having loads of fun making a mess. Except for the time when I squeezed the alcohol ink bottle too vigorously...it flew out my fingers hit the wall and splattered ink all over. The hardwood floor with its wax coating was easy to clean up. No stain. But the wall has a fine sprinkle of ink now - not much, but goodness.

If the urge strikes, come on back to organic and hybrid! You are very creative!

trekmom and Cherylndesigns like this.
  9. ArmyGrl

This may be an Ona @wombat146 question. She's made some amazing pages that remind me of the Laly Mille style.

10. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My biggest hinderance is time to play. I know it is about setting priorities and making it happen.

trekmom and ArmyGrl like this.
  11. ArmyGrl

I totally get the time factor! There was a period for about 5 years where I did not have the time, or more importantly, energy to touch what I call organic art. Thank goodness for digital!!! It was my creative outlet.

There may be simpler projects we can do - like making tags, artist trading cards, or even little mini collages on index cards. Although I have not done it, I think greeting cards may be a quicker project too.

Do any of the above interest you, Bev? In the hybrid forum and in the backrooms too, I think there are lots of folk that enjoy arts and crafts in general. We hope to get the hybrid forum popping again and a place where folks share their ideas, thoughts, and art projects.

12. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

@Pachimac Susie, it comes down to layers upon layers, just like digital. With physical mixed media, you really need to let everything dry in between your layers and it also comes down to the type of mixed media medium you use. For instance, if you use watercolours then putting something wet over them could well active the colours again so you could well end up with muddy colours.

There is a certain hierarchy to layers that various artists use, Laly included but this depends on what you are using. In most instances one or two colours are applied in various areas as one layer, when dry you can introduce another colour, dry it, add more white areas, dry, and so on. Laly uses a LOT of white but she puts these on in between her colour layers, in her words she uses white to bring light into her art pieces.......

Above all, you need patience Grasshopper!!! lol! For this reason I have learned to have a couple of projects going at the same time...... while one dries I can be working on another one....... sometimes it can take me a 1 -2 days or even weeks to finish a project, there is no rush to get it finished. If I get stuck on a piece and don't know what to do next I just start another one, after a few weeks I come across it again and have a "ahah!" moment on how to proceed or to finish it.

Some other thoughts off the top of my head:
    • Bottom layer: Prepared surface, either with gesso, acrylic paint, matte medium - collaged first or just the paper itself
    • Use acrylic paints or collage, stamping with archival permanent ink, permanent inks, pens etc. all of these can have 'wet' products applied over the top of them without smearing etc.
    • Neocolor II (water activated crayons) can be activated with water or with matte medium - if water is used you need to really let this dry, or if you are using the matte medium then it will be permanent as you are 'sealing' it at the same time.
    • Watercolours and alcohol inks should be used last (if using), but having said that, you can use them at different times but you need to make sure that they have completely dried out before using anything over the top of them (I sometimes have applied matte medium over the top of them, which is what I did in the hybrid page I did with Nicole's stuff). Also, some watercolours are simply better than others in quality so you just need to work out what yours are capable of doing (or not doing).

Experiment: can't stress this one enough
    • make yourself some small cards size pieces to experiment on, use your water colours on some them in different ways ie, on one card use gesso first then watercolour, on another use the watercolour on its own, etc etc.
    • let everything dry, now try sealing a card with matte medium/clear gesso, does it activate your watercolour ie, is it smearing etc etc.
    • take note of what you do on each card and then paste this into a little exercise book to keep for future reference
    • it really is about just playing with the tools that you have and seeing what they do and how they interact with one another.
    If you go to Laly's web site you will see that she has a free 101 course on different mixed media tools where she explains what she uses and how she uses them, very informative and I took notes for yourself as I watched the video and refer back to it often.

Hope that helps a bit Susie, but if you have any other questions then ask away, always happy to help people out. :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    tanteva likes this.
  13. Cherylndesigns

Oh dear, sounds like you could have had quite a mess. Glad you got it off.

I don't know if I posted it at The Pad, but I managed to lose almost ALL of my art supplies in our last move (we actually moved twice). I'm just sick - I had almost every color you could think of in bottles of acrylic paint, gesso and modeling pastes, (I even had black gesso), paint brushes, stencils, inks in the blotting kind of bottles, Tim Holtz "paper people", all kinds of ephemera, gelatos - all kinds of tools - I could cry. I'm getting the urge to do this again, so my "collection" will have to be started over. I'm making my list on Amazon, because there are NO art stores within close to 2 hours from us. I DO still have all of my Copics (thank Gosh).

14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

@ArmyGrl - I do paper crafts but I typically use ephemera that is already printed or that is already included on a page (as a cuttable png file or a pdf). I have lots and lots of kits from here but find it a bit overwhelming to have to drag stuff into PS to create my own png sheet if I want the Cricut to cut it or pdf if I am fussy-cutting it. Perhaps if we had a theme or color challenge, it would help me narrow the choices and make it less overwhelming.

ArmyGrl likes this.
  15. Pachimac

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  16. Cherylndesigns

Yes!! It's heartbreaking!! I did find some Mod Podge, too.

17. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I have on my wishlist this year to make some photo frames with old childrens book pages that are falling apart & mod podge. Maybe saying this “out loud” will encourage me to do them. Something crafty & usable & maybe sell if good enough.

18. Pachimac

Thank you! When I get to a computer I will answer more!

wombat146 likes this.
  19. ArmyGrl

Oh my goodness! I hope you were able to make a claim and get your $$$ back. I have much of what you had...this collection is not cheap!! Let us cry together :madness:hissy:cry:madness

20. ArmyGrl

:yoda Am I ever learning this!!!! I am the queen of making mud! :queen:rollin

I am seriously learning to have a couple of projects going at once. Depending on the material, a hairdryer on low setting can help the drying process (but some papers and material may warp with the heat). Papers and materials can be cost prohibitive, so remember - gather up that "free" ephemera aka garbage and work on small projects during the drying time like making mixed media tags, Artist Trading Cards, or Index Card art/collage.