July 2022 Book Club - People We Meet On Vacation

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, May 16, 2022.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yahoo! We have another round of voting completed and we have another batch of great books to read together. After voting was complete we were able to narrow the list down to four top books. I always love adding great books to my To Read list! :agree

The book for July is People We Meet On Vacation by Emily Henry. Feel free to read our book club books in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers. We have a new trick for hiding spoilers. Type whatever you want and then highlight the spoiler portion and click the + button above and select Spoiler. If that doesn't work (seems to be funky on Macs) just highlight your text and change the color to white >>>This is a super secret spoiler alert!<<< like I did right there.

Spoilers are nice so you don't ruin a book ending for someone else!

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone is welcome to join in with our book club reading at any time and join in the discussion! The more the merrier! :agree Happy reading!

Vrielinkie likes this.
  2. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

Emily Henry is so good. I enjoyed this one, but maybe not a much as Beach Read.
    Poppy and Alex try to mend their relationship. Back and forth structure of past trips and the present day vacation that is full of tension. I loved their conversations and their globetrotting shenanigans.

Karen likes this.
  3. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I LOVED this one! I read it when it came out last May & rated it 5 stars on my goodreads! I JUST got her new one from the library on audio & can't wait!

plumdumpling likes this.
  4. Karen

I just finished this one too and I really enjoyed it. I normally don't like the back forth between present and past, but it really worked in this instance for me. This was an easy and engaging book for me, which was exactly what I needed at the time.

plumdumpling likes this.
  5. plumdumpling

I'm super excited for Book Lovers! Let us know how it is!

Karen and amien1 like this.
  6. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

I just started this. Very light and fun so far.

Karen likes this.
  7. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Oh, I actually read this one. LOVED it. Also have read her book Beach Read, also very good. Saw that her book Book Lovers will be released in Swedish in 2 weeks, better get in line at the library. Really love her characters, they are realistic & very interesting. One of my favorite authors.

Karen likes this.
  8. plumdumpling

Book Lovers was SOOOO good!

Karen likes this.
  9. Karen

I have this one on hold. I'm glad to hear it's a good one! :D

10. Laura ODonnell

I really enjoyed this.

I have been doing a deep dive recently into Jodi Picoult books which are such a roller coaster ride and deal with tough topics like abortion and racism. This book was the break I didn't know I needed.

I liked how this started in the present then went back to the 2 of them as college freshmen and talked about their choices and family backgrounds to develop the characters.

I was remembering trips I took when I was young and single and wishing I had traveled more.

I liked that Poppy, rather than just floundering and beating herself up for feeling like she was never satisfied and always running away from things, started therapy to sort things out.

I am wondering what happens to this couple. Would there be a sequel? The 2 of them back in Ohio with a bunch of kids and taking fun family vacations. I would read that.

Karen and tanteva like this.
  11. plumdumpling

Laura, I would totally read the sequel you propose!

Karen likes this.
  12. Karen

Me too!!!

13. Laura ODonnell

That would be so crazy if she wrote the sequel. I am waiting on one of her other books right now, Book Lovers. I like her style.

14. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I liked it but not that much... I guess it was way too much drama for me?? I read this one in may, and from my notes,
    I wasn't very much fan of Poppy, and I couldn't believe that she wasn't taking showers with that super hot weather as described by the author....and even said that Alex took many baths a day! I live in a tropical country, it's impossible not to take a shower with extreme weather....I guess this made me kinda hate Poppy! LOL!!!

Karen likes this.
  15. tanteva

Told my librarian (a.k.a. my hubby) the other day, that the library would have to get Book Lovers now that it's translated. As far as I know, it's been ordered, and I'm waiting.

bonnenuit and Karen like this.
  16. tanteva

Look what I just scrapped:

[​IMG]

(It's the Swedish edition)

17. Karen