Third Row Vehicle Recommendations

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by LeeAndra, Apr 4, 2022.

1. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I'm in the market for a new vehicle (after 14 years & 200K miles, my current ride is ready for That Dealership in the Sky) and am looking for seven-passenger/third row seating vehicle recommendations. I'm looking at SUVs vs. minivans (not a hater just BTDT) from the last 3-5 years.

Anything I buy will be much more updated than what I currently have so I'm not looking for any particular bells or whistles besides comfort, safety, and decent(ish) gas mileage.

What do y'all recommend as a good family vehicle?

keepscrappin likes this.
  2. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I love my 2016 Honda Pilot. It can fit 8 but definitely 7 comfortably. I love the push button on the middle row that easily lets kids get into the third row. When I bought it new, I tried out all the other SUVs (Pathfinder, Highlander, etc) with third rows and fell in love with the Pilot because that button worked so well with carpool. I didn't have to get out of the car to let kids in and out of the back row. I had a Honda Odyssey mini van before and loved the auto door too but love having a SUV too. I also love that the middle and 3rd rows are 60/40 splits so I can have partial rows up or down depending on my needs.

3. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

We were looking for a newer vehicle last summer, and we really wanted an SUV with third row, too. However, we couldn't find anything that wasn't way overpriced so we ended up getting a minivan. It was the best decision. We have taken it on vacation twice, and it gives the kids (17, 14, 11) so much extra room. I was totally against getting one, but my hubby suggested we just go for a test drive, and it was worth it. I do believe they are much better on gas, too than an SUV. Not sure if that is much help, LOL, but maybe go for a test drive?!?

4. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

We loved our Hyundai Veracruz until it died last year. They're not being made anymore, though, so there's that. We have some friends who recently purchased a Santa Fe and like it. (The newer models have the 3rd row, where older ones don't). It's on our list to look at when we're ready to get a second car. We've also had an Elantra, and all our experiences with Hyundais have been great.

5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

We have a Tucson, which is the Santa Fe except it has 2 rows not three. We love it! While there are times it would be nice to have a 3rd seat taking people everywhere, with only 1 kid, we couldn't justify it at the time.

sm_amber likes this.
  6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My mom has a 2002 Chevy Tahoe. She's had it since it was new (okay, technically used with 3,000 miles and a wishy washy owner). We love it as an extended family. We've driven across country in it multiple times, and it's quite comfortable. The back row is a little short, so I usually end up in it along with the younger kids (I'm 5'5"), but my husband has sat back there with me, just no third since his legs needed someplace to go (he's 6'1"). We've had three carseats across the middle, and 3 grown kids in the back, and it was not bad. Granted, for hers you have to move & fold the seat manually to get in the back, I'm sure that's been updated in the more recent years. It might not be helpful since you definitely want one newer than 2002, and since I don't know how much they've changed the body/interior since 2002, but I can speak to the longevity of her Tahoe. And it works well for all sizes of kids/passengers.

7. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

My daughter has a Dodge Durango RT (whatever that means). It has a third row seat which is comfy and has room, but it can be a challenge to get in the third row. It is nice and roomy and seats 5 with just 2 rows very nicely. It has been a great vehicle for them.

8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm not really any help at all, but a friend of mine just bought a Chevy Traverse and really likes it.

9. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I second the Tahoe. We loved ours!!

bestcee likes this.
  10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

We've had Saturn Outlook (same car/design as the Acadia, the Saturn just out first) and then the GMC Acadia. My Dad had the Tahoe. All were amazing.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee currently, love that car... but really would love the Jeep Wagoneer that just came out. We don't have a constant need for the 3rd row, but it would be nice.

BUT... at this point, with car prices and everything, we will stay put with what we have. We are seeing hefty Mark up costs around here for new cars! Some are over $10,000! No thanks.