March 2022 - Week 3 - Monthly Muse

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by ArmyGrl, Mar 15, 2022.

1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Welcome to Week 3 of the Monthly Muse!
    In the month of March, we are exploring the topic ‘What is Art Journaling?’ Thus far, we explored style and techniques.

For week three, I ask you to consider the Journaling side of Art Journaling. For many challenges, Journaling refers to words on a page and the challenge typically has a specific word count.

I make the argument that in Art Journaling, journaling can be done with or without words. Art Journaling can be a visual diary of sorts that uses words, yes, in combination (or not) with images and color to convey feeling. Or maybe it’s just a smorgasbord of color and images that has specific meaning to you!

I admire poets and their way of conveying feeling and depth with written words, rhyme, and meter. But that form of communication is not my strength. Sometimes, I am able to covey what I am feeling though visual arts – Art Journaling.

More times than not, my layouts are Nature inspired – because the rhythm, patterns, and textures of nature bring me great joy. I LOVE exploring the outdoors and all the interesting lifeforms outside. For me, this art is healing.

Other times, I have something going on inside I need to address. Being deeply introverted, I do not want nor enjoy talking to people. I do find it healing to address deep seated issues through ART. It’s like having a conversation with myself; asking myself to dig in deep and express what is really bugging me. This process is painful, and often involves tears. But it’s the first steps of bringing myself back to center – to self-healing and self-care.

In my layouts Rejection and Not Enough, I am addressing current thought patterns that are the result of my pending retirement. I feel old and unwanted. I keep thinking back to a younger self (that’s her in the picture) that is full of dreams, self-confidence, and the discipline to make dreams into reality. She is gone these days, that self-confident one. What is left is a middle-aged lady feeling like crusty old leaves, rejected by the tree which gave her life. I am floating around on the wind, wondering, what’s next?

For this week, I ask you to tap into pure, unadulterated emotion – it does not matter what style layout you create – just tap into emotion. And there is no requirement to tap into sad emotions or even something deep. I’d really like for you to explore how Art Journaling CAN express emotion. Examples include Enjoyment, Sadness, Fear, Anger, Disgust and all the grey areas in between those. As a reminder, if you journal with written words, you can always cover up the journaling with paper or ephemera (burry the journaling), or blur or blend the journaling so that the words become illegible. This is useful if the journaling is deeply personal and you do not want to share with the world, wide, web (in other words, strangers).

I tapped into my current emotional state. And that was difficult for me to do because I want to be strong and resilient. But right now, I am far from strong and resilient. I am week because I feel Rejected. I feel like I Am Not Enough.

Rejected.jpg

Recap – we are in Week 3 of March Monthly Muse

Week 1: Exploring Art Journaling Styles
    Week 2: Exploring Art Journal Techniques
    Week 3: Exploring Art Journaling to Express Feelings, Self-Development, or Healing
    Week 4: What is Art Journaling to You?

It does not matter what style of layout you create – simply explore color, images, and if you choose, words, to express feelings and emotions. Allow yourself to create a page that is healing or reflects self-development.

Challenge Requirements:

1. For the Monthly Muse, you may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.), with or without a photo. Create any size page you wish. The Art Muse is for everyone; have FUN!

2. You can use any products in The Lily Pad store or retired products from current Lily Pad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

3. Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE by Midnight, 28 March 2022; and post your layout in this thread by copying the "Share BB Code" to the right of your gallery image.

Each post, regardless of the week posted in the month of March earns you one chance to win a $5 coupon to the TLP store. Thus,

1 Muse = 1 chance to win
    2 Muses = 2 chances to win
    3 Muses = 3 chances to win
    4 Muses = 4 chances to win

Let emotions and feelings guide your creation – this is a journaling aspect of Art Journaling!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    AJK likes this.
  2. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Your description made me cry like a baby. There are so many unexpressed emotions inside of me and one in particular, but I'm afraid to make it public. I want to do it though. I'll have to figure out a way to say it without saying it. It was shown to me when I was talking to our Bishop in Confession that this behavior/thought process is the root of what's going on with me.

I also have to figure out some new designers/elements to use as I typically used Little Butterfly Wings for my art journaling.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    AJK likes this.
  3. ArmyGrl

@Pachimac Hi Susie! Just remember, things can be covered up or hidden. It is okay not to share! You could give yourself permission to create from the heart, and from that place you feel you need to address. Then you can simply overlay a new layout on top of it for the gallery. No one needs to know or would know, unless you decide to tell us you did a cover up. Or something to that affect.

Not sure any of the M3 kits have what you need, but it may be a starting place to look for elements or the vibe you are going with in lieu of LBW only kits.

Pachimac likes this.
  4. Pachimac

Yeah, for some reason LBW seems to do the drawings and quotes that really work for my AJ, but you're right - I can still use her stuff through the M3's, right??? This is where I'm confused so maybe you can help: I buy the main kit of an M3. There are add on packs by different designers, including LBW. Can I use her add on packs too?

5. ArmyGrl

Up to 50% of a layout can be non-TLP. So, 1/2 of your layout could still be LBW solos + M3s etc. In the spirt of supporting TLP, I would try to use as much TLP items as possible :D

AJK likes this.
  6. Pachimac

I never thought of that. I’ve almost always done 100% TLP At this gallery

7. ArmyGrl

We appreciate that!

From the gallery/forum rules link:

"Gallery Rules
    We are enjoying ALL the fabulous work being shared in the gallery.

Please keep in mind that, while we do enjoy seeing products from other designers outside TLP, we attempt to keep the focus on the TLP staff.

That being said, please abide by the following gallery posting rules:
    1. Layouts must include at least 50% TLP products
    2. No off-site linking
    3. List all credits"

8. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

I have a related question because I have a lot of LBW's M3 add-ons. Wouldn't they still count as TLP product if they are still available for purchase in the store?

9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Lisa, you described AJ's core so adeptly, imho. Great challenge!

10. Pachimac

11. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

12. AnnaB

AnnaB Well-Known Member

13. ArmyGrl

I'm going to check with the store admins on this one. I am thinking solo's by LBW should probably not be in the store as she no longer sells here. Collaboration stuff (like the M3 main kits) makes perfect sense to still be in the store.

For now, if you use them, we'll not "ding" you for using items in the store. And I'll get a response from the store admins ASAP!! Thank you for asking.

14. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

15. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Thanks, Lisa!
    Sticking with my Lion of Judah theme this month, this week focusing on boldness..

[​IMG]

Smwhite likes this.
  16. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I just lost a good friend to a reckless driver.
    [​IMG]

17. Pachimac

Oh Dalis, I am so so sorry!!!!!!

Dalis likes this.
  18. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

No words, but I hope it shows a overcrowded ( and fading ) mind...
    Thank you for the challenge..... this little snippet took longer than I spend on most 12 x12 pages. LOL
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  19. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I was trying to convey growing old and feeling my mortality. Masked and grunged up my photo to try to convey this.
    [​IMG]

20. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

Realizing that each day is a new day to be perfect...for that day. Each day is a new beginning which is great, but also scary that it's not enough
    [​IMG]