Kim Jensen Designer Challenge | March 2022 - Fill-a-Shape

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by mmbstaley, Mar 1, 2022.

1. mmbstaley

mmbstaley Well-Known Member

Welcome to Kim Jensen's Designer Challenge for March 2022. This month we are pulling out the elements and using them all! or at least a whole lot of them ;) Your challenge is to create a large shape from a mix of elements for your page - no papers, just elements. The shape is completely up to you, it just needs to fill the page and the element arrangement should convey what it is.

Challenge Instructions:
    Layouts should have:
    1 solid background paper
    Shape must fill the page
    Place one small photo in your shape.

*Mix and match elements and words of all kinds to fill the shape. Only elements such as flowers, clips, wordart, stamps, stringbats, sequins, etc. and alphas (single letters or used to spell words) may be used, no papers. -Mixer packs are an ideal place to start as Kim gives you a variety of coordinating elements to work with in one pack.
    *Multiples of small elements may be used to fill in spaces. Please do not fill your shape with only one kind of element. I want to see a variety.
    *Small empty spaces between elements are A-OK, or they may overlap slightly.
    *One line of text for naming and dating your page outside the shape is allowed if it does not fit in the shape somewhere, but bonus points if you can fit it in the shape itself! play with the text warping options to give it some curve if you don't have a straight area on or in your shape.
    *Remove the shape that you used as a guide for building on from the page when filled - do not leave it on your background. The arrangement of your elements should communicate the larger shape on your page.

BONUS challenge: use 4 or more different element packs to fill your shape.

If you need some inspiration, I've collected some a variety of examples on this Pinterest board.
    https://www.pinterest.com/melinda_staley/scrapbook-los-tutorials/fill-a-shape-challenge/

I made this example with the Eclectic Spring Mixer as the main pack and took some screenshots as I went along to show how I did it. If you would find that helpful, you can check it out HERE.
    [​IMG]

and the page I did last month for SOSN that sparked this month's challenge
    [​IMG]

Challenge Rules:
    *Use at least 75% Kim Jensen Designs product (current or retired from TLP) to create your layout meeting the criteria listed above.
    *Upload your layout to the Kim Jensen gallery. Please include your credits.
    *Post your layout to this thread and link to your gallery post.
    *Layouts must be new for this challenge and cannot be combined with other challenges.
    *All layouts must be posted by 11:59pm Pacific Time, March 31, 2022.

Prizes:
    *One layout will be chosen to receive a $10 coupon for Kim Jensen Designs’ shop!
    *All other participants will receive a 20% off coupon for Kim Jensen Designs’ shop!
    *You may enter multiple layouts to increase your odds of winning the $10 prize, but each scrapper will only receive one coupon.
    *As a BONUS, Kim will be giving away an EXTRA $10 coupon from the entries that create a page using 4 or more element packs from her store. If you page qualifies for this bonus challenge, please point it out in the thread by listing the packs you used in your post and credits.

A few of the team played along with me early so you could see some more examples.
    Meibritt went with a Summer Pool theme and a heart shape
    Mar2022-fillashape-meibritt.jpg

Kimberly also made a Summer themed page, but chose a sun shape
    Mar2022-fillashape-Kimberly-garrynkim-My-Sunshine.jpg

and Monica used all green elements to make a clover shape
    Mar2022-fillashape-Monica-EzraCloverLucky.jpg

Have fun playing and I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2022
    umyesh, garrynkim and KimJ like this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

These are awesome! Great challenge!

mmbstaley likes this.
  3. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

I loved making my Sun.
    [​IMG]

trekmom, mmbstaley and KimJ like this.
  4. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

Bonus
    I made the butterfly by using a wire butterfly as a model (from Carpe Diem). Element packs were Everday Boy, Key to Happiness, Emerson, Rain is gone, Carpi Diem, Capricious. Some elements are not from Kim Jenson (about 5) if that is a disqualification, let me know

[​IMG]

5. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Thanks for the fun Melinda! Here's my page linked to the gallery:
    [​IMG]

6. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

ahhhh!!!!! These are so much fun!

KimJ and Cath_ like this.
  7. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I started with a butterfly shape and then remembered it is Mardi Gras today so turned it into a Mardi Gras masque. So much fun. Used all Kim Jensen elements and for eyes and mask shape used Rebecca McMeen.
    [​IMG]

8. Meibritt

Meibritt CT - Kate Hadfield

Thanks for the challenge Melinda!
    Here is my page. Credits are in te gallery.
    [​IMG]

trekmom and KimJ like this.
  9. Sharon-shutterbug

Sharon-shutterbug Active Member

I had so much fun doing this! Just what I needed to wind down from a busy week.

[​IMG]

Credits:
    Background paper, bird shape, elements from Boho Sunshine. Elements from Wonky, Braver, Treasured, By the Numbers, Newsy Shapes, Recycled News Alpha, all by Kim Jensen. Fonts: Jailbird Jenna and Oh (Photo) Shoot.

10. mmbstaley

So many great pages! and so many GSO call outs too from what I see in the gallery comments - you ladies rocked this! Who else will come play along?

KimJ likes this.
  11. mmbstaley

Perfectly fine and within the rules of the challenge, Sharon. thanks for playing!

KimJ likes this.
  12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

What a fun challenge! I love all these pages!

mmbstaley and KimJ like this.
  13. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you for this challenge!

[​IMG]

trekmom, KimJ and mmbstaley like this.
  14. trekmom

trekmom Well-Known Member

I've tried twice now, when I remove the shape, it just looks like mess. Any helpful hints, please?

15. mmbstaley

without seeing it, my guess would be to add more elements. Make sure you have defined the edges sufficiently. If you want to share a screenshot or current state image I would be able to help with more specifics.

trekmom likes this.
  16. trekmom

17. mmbstaley

@trekmom
    It looks like you are using the butterfly shape as a clipping mask for the elements. Don't do that. Just put the shape on your paper and place the elements on top of it as you work. It is OK for the edges of the elements to 'hang over' the edge of the shape you are building on, you just don't want too much of it to do that. Also make your elements smaller so that you have more options of places to put them.
    Hopefully that helps! if not feel free to ask more questions.

trekmom likes this.
  18. trekmom

take 2 Kim Jensen shape Challenge it's a duck 2022.jpg @mmbstaley Thank you. I tried that before this and it looked so messy to me, I will try again.
    Well....
    uh.
    it's a duck, since the photo is of my kids feeding the ducks. Try not to laugh too hard. Or quack too hard either.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    mmbstaley and KimJ like this.
  19. mmbstaley

It does take some fiddling. Generally I found making the elements smaller so I could fit them around each other better made me like it more as I was working on mine.

trekmom likes this.
  20. mmbstaley

Super creative! I love it :heartslub

trekmom likes this.