LOD 2022 | February 11 | Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs

Discussion in '2022 LOD' started by Iowan, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

LOVE Our Designers | February 11, 2022 | Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs
    Because the sale was activated late today, it will be active Saturday as well.

[​IMG]

:heartlub Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs is our daily crush today! :beat

[​IMG]

Welcome to the 2022 edition of Love Our Designers. This event isn't a traditional challenge in that there aren't any real rules. It’s a fun event to scrap with products from a fave designer or try a new (to you) designer. It’s all about having fun and celebrating the uniqueness of all of our Lilypad Designers!

A bit about the designer behind Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs:

Cheryl lives in Northwest Florida on the Gulf Coast. Her husband Jay, and two children Olivia and Daniel live with her and are frequent subjects of her scrap pages.

Here is a recent layout of her and her husband:

[​IMG]

Here is a recent layout of her with her children:

[​IMG]

How did you start scrapbooking?

I started paper scrapbooking in 1996 when I was pregnant with Olivia. I ended up switching to digital scrapbooking after I read a tutorial about doing a circular photo collage in PSE. I ordered PSE, followed the tutorial and was hooked. The tutorial ended up leading me to some digital scrapbooking websites that I started exploring. I started making digital layouts in August 2007. I started converting my layouts to templates and opened my first store in February 2010. I've been at The Lilypad since 2015 and I absolutely love it!

Why gonewiththewind and Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs?

All around, from personal scrapping to digital designing, I’m all about Scarlett and Gone With The Wind! Here's a page I made that explains it all. The journaling is in the gallery.

[​IMG]

I've seen you scrap on your YouTube channel and at Watch Cheryl Scrap LIVE! Do all your templates always start as your own layouts?

Most of them do, but not all of them! Sometimes I get requests from customers or friends or CT members and I try to fulfill them.

I love that you have Dressed Up and Dressed Down versions of your templates. Which comes first? Does it vary?

I always make the Dressed Up version first. I cringe as I pull off piece after piece to make the Dressed Down version. Sometimes I'm more brutal than at other times. It really depends on whether I feel pulling too much off will mess up the composition.

Some of your most recent templates have more intricate shadows. How did you get so good at realistic shadows? What tips do you have for shadowing?

Stare at a bunch of paper layouts. Move them to different places, and in different lights. See how they are photographed and the light moves on them. Don’t be afraid to play with shadows.

Do you have formal training in art? If so, in what media? Did digital design exist when you were in college?

I have no formal training in art other than in middle school and high school. I did tag along with my mom when she went to art lessons. Digital design didn't exist when I was at university. My mom never had formal training, and for the most part, taught herself. She ended up teaching me things. One of the most important lessons was to be willing to experiment.

Has your formal training been of use in what you do now?

My university degree is in English Education. I was supposed to be an English teacher, but my path ended up leading me into the legal field where I was a certified legal assistant. Both the degree and the on-the-job training have helped me in every vocation I've entered into. Don't judge me on my English skills now though! That was 30 years ago!

Do you have an idea of how layout artists will use your graphics? Are you often surprised by how they are used?

I have seen all kinds of uses for my templates, but the one that surprises me most is when someone just puts a photo in the photo spot and otherwise leaves the template as is, using it like a quick page.

Do you have a collection of ideas for future designs? If so, can you share any of them?

I can't share trade secrets! LOL Yes, I do have a collection of ideas. I have a TN that I jot things down in. Some of those in the notebook are requests from customers or CT members, and some of them are based on things I've seen that I want to try to incorporate into my template designs.

Do you have a design that you created from something totally unexpected?

I sold jewelry and diamonds for about five years at a local retailer when I was at university. I never thought that would carry over into my template designs, but it did. My "Such A Gem" series was inspired by my extra sparkly niece, Gemma, as well as the shapes of gems.

Find Cheryl Here, There, and Everywhere!

TLP Username: gonewiththewind
    Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/pJbZv
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FiddleDeeDeeDesigns
    Facebook Friends and Fans Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FiddleDeeDeeFans/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/fiddledeedeedzn
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fiddledeedeedesigns/
    Use the hashtag #fiddledeedeedesigns
    Instagram for WatchCherylScrap: https://www.instagram.com/watchcherylscrap/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/FiddleDeeDeeDesigns/videos
    YouTube Watch Cheryl Scrap: https://www.youtube.com/c/WatchCherylScrap
    Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/FiddleDeeDeePin/

Cheryl's gallery is always gorgeous and inspiring! Here are a couple of her layouts where she uses her own templates:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out Cheryl's FREE template for The Lilypad's February Template Challenge:

[​IMG]

Check out Cheryl's Monthly Designer Challenge for a FREE template and a chance to win a $10 coupon for playing along!

[​IMG]

Check out Cheryl's FREE template for the A Love For Layout Templates Facebook/Blog Hop:

[​IMG]

Here are a few of my favorite pages I’ve made featuring Cheryl's products!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheryl has a sale today in honor of her feature. No code required! NOTE: Because the sale was activated late today, it will be active Saturday as well.

[​IMG]

Now it's your turn!

Scrap a page using a Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs template.
    Meet the gallery guidelines of 50% TLP product
    Post in Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs gallery and share your page in this thread.

Be sure to check out our LOVE Our Designers event daily since you never know WHO is going to be featured when! And who knows, the designer(s) may pop in here and there with special surprises and interactions while we are scrapping!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    G.J., RJMJ, michelepixels and 10 others like this.
  2. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

Cheryl is about the nicest most generous designer I know!! Love that she’s kicking off today!!

3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Awww, thank you! :bk

EHStudios likes this.
  4. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

AGREED! I was thinking that as I was reading through. Just a super nice person. I'm so grateful for you @gonewiththewind

Here is a page I made with her new templates out today!
    [​IMG]
    I had to also share a recent favorite page and Christmas is still good in February right? I mean my tree is still up soo.... lol... but this is so fun about her templates... The shapes! She's an expert at it.
    [​IMG]

Iowan, EHStudios and gonewiththewind like this.
  5. gonewiththewind

:heartslub + :goldstars for your amazing layout!

EHStudios and Kat like this.
  6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Besides templates, Cheryl has an awesome set of shadows that I use a lot (you must get it for your stash!):

[​IMG]

Here is my page I made with Cheryl's FDD template for the February template challenge:

[​IMG]

AJK, Cherylndesigns, Iowan and 3 others like this.
  7. gonewiththewind

Yes! Grab them while they are deeply discounted today only!

@cfile Your layout is amazing! I love love love the photos of your parents. What a treasure.

cfile and EHStudios like this.
  8. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

Interesting. I too was supposed to be an English teacher but get a paralegal degree and was a paralegal for years!

Iowan, EHStudios and gonewiththewind like this.
  9. gonewiththewind

That is very interesting! What type of firm? I worked at a firm that specializes in mass tort litigation.

Iowan and EHStudios like this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Different field of education for me (Business) but I am another that never taught. Ended up doing secretarial work then became an accountant. Guess this goes to show that having a background in education can lead anywhere you want!

And, I love watching Cheryl scrap even though I don't use any Adobe programs. I've still learned a lot and have been able to figure out how to do things in PSP. I'm jealous of the shadow styles but not enough to switch programs :hehe

11. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Double dipping today. I made this page for the photography challenge with a Fiddle Dee Dee Template.
    Love the dressed down ones.... Also Christa "made me" buy the shadows styles, I am looking forward to trying them tomorrow.:dance
    [​IMG]

12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thank you so much Cheryl! Hugs!

gonewiththewind and Iowan like this.
  13. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Holy SMOKES! That is one fantastic sale Cheryl! Woo-hoo!

gonewiththewind and Iowan like this.
  15. EllenT

EllenT I live for that hourglass ...

16. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I grabbed your bloghop freebie for this one!

[​IMG]

You always get me to use many more layers than I'm used to!

bellbird, gonewiththewind and Iowan like this.
  17. gonewiththewind

My business courses (including learning shorthand and typing on a typewriter! LOL) were invaluable to me. I quickly developed my own shorthand as attorneys would dictate letters to me (or stood behind me while I typed). I typed over 100 wpm at one point in time. Now, I'm a lowly 65 to 70 wpm. I agree that ANY secondary education/degree will help you in life overall.

I'm glad that you've been able to make things work for your program. One day I'll switch you to the dark side! LOL

18. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I love adding color and texture with paper pieces. This set of templates was perfect! I usually buy the DU templates because I can always remove elements. It's like getting two templates in one. :lol
    [​IMG]

bellbird and Iowan like this.
  19. gonewiththewind

My secret plan is working . . . to have everyone ADD ALL THE LAYERS!

[​IMG]

Memaw2Wm, G.J., cfile and 5 others like this.
  20. gonewiththewind

[​IMG]

G.J., bellbird, Iowan and 1 other person like this.