Awesome Socks Club

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by michelepixels, Nov 10, 2021.

1. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I got this month's Awesome Socks! :-) They're so perfect for a member of TLP. That looks like Bart's friend. :love
    IMG_E7248e.jpg
    Two of my favorite people in the world are brothers John and Hank Green. They are authors (you may have heard of John Green's book The Fault In Our Stars when it was made into a movie several years ago) and YouTubers (vlogbrothers, Crash Course, Sci Show . . .) and they have done a lot of projects for good in the world. This Awesome Socks Club, which costs the subscriber $12/month and sends ALL its profits to support the maternal health center they built in Sierra Leone, raised $700,000 this year.

They're currently accepting new subscribers (which they only do once per year) until November 14 at https://awesomesocks.club if you'd like to check them out. I'm sorry it won't be possible to get this month's awesome froggy socks, but you can see most of this year's designs at the website and judge how awesome they are. Each month's socks are designed by a different artist, which is awesome too!

I highly recommend all their YouTube channels too, as well as all their books I've read, and John's podcast The Anthropocene Reviewed, and their joint podcast, Dear Hank & John. I hope this doesn't sound like just an advertisement. These two have created so much good in the world and I want to share the love. And getting this month's socks made it feel like a good time to share here on TLP. :love

Anyone else already a fan of either or both? I discovered them via John's Crash Course History videos around a decade ago. How about you?

Angela Toucan likes this.
  2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I've read a couple of John Green's books, but I didn't know about the socks! I'm NOT a sock wearer, but @LivyBug might like these!

LivyBug, michelepixels and cfile like this.
  3. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Wow - this is mindblowing to me. Never thought about it, but of course ... people live in warmer places and don't NEED socks 24/7/365. LOL

Love the socks! I saw a cool pair of socks I need to get, in a newsletter from H&M. Can't find them on the web site, but they were full of Avocado Elfs. LOL

michelepixels likes this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I wear trouser socks - they are thin - when I wear close-toed shoes. Around the house, I choose slippers rather than socks. I even have slipper flip flops. LOL Most of the time, I'm wearing flip flops. That's Florida for you!

michelepixels and tanteva like this.
  5. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Those are so cute, but I don't wear "fun" socks ... I always grab white crew socks for casual wear, and khaki socks for work.

6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Yeah, I'm with you. When I worked I wore navy or black lightweight knee socks with my Docker style pants. In the winter, I wore a heavier sock since my feet were always cold. Otherwise it is crew socks or no show socks with my tennis shoes.

I have a couple pair of "fun or wild" socks and only ever wore them with the one costume I would use for Halloween dress up at work (when we did it).

7. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I still have a couple of brand new pairs of those CM scrapbooking socks that were popular on S&S/Scrapshare umpteen years ago. I love fun socks, I just don't wear them. Just like I rarely wear graphic tees ... I'm weird, lol!

8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Never had the CM socks, but did have a pair of Longaberger socks.

9. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

My daughter collects socks with different things on them. Maybe this might be a good Christmas gift!

bestcee, Memaw2Wm and michelepixels like this.
  10. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I have a pair of "naughty" socks that I sometimes wear to work that have an orange kitty on them giving a paw jesture that shall not be mentioned here. :D

Those are super cute!!

Memaw2Wm, Karen and michelepixels like this.
  11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I used to have quite a large collection of fun socks. I love the ones you got his month Michele and they definitely look perfect for a Lilypad fan! :D I've read several of John Green's books and I knew about his brother too, but I haven't watched much of their stuff. A friend of mine's daughter got to meet Hank Green a few years ago in Chicago. That's the only reason I even had heard of him. That's awesome that they are using the sock club to raise money!

AJK likes this.
  12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I've had many fun socks- we call them crazy socks here- over the years! The lilypad ones are great!
    My Mom and Dad sent me the Artist series two years ago.
    art_socks.jpeg
    Love them, but they are a bit tight at the top for me. You do need to be aware of what you are wearing when you put them on, or they can be obtrusive, LOL. But artists often stand out so...;)

bestcee, michelepixels and Memaw2Wm like this.