Rachel's Mixed Media Challenge - NOV '21 + OCT Winners Announced ** CLOSED **

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by mcurtt, Nov 1, 2021.

1. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Hi everyone, it is Marilyn here and I'm grateful to be hosting the November challenge for Rachel.

Before we get into this month's challenge, let's congratulate last month's winners. The October challenge winners are @Mrsdudds winning the $10 coupon and @nollipap winning the $6 coupon. Rachel will be in touch via a PM with your coupon codes!

November Challenge:
    Believe it or not, although many of my layouts are quite cluttered, I do love the look of white space. And with this challenge, I hope it will give you the best of both worlds. :-)

1. Start with ONE background paper covering your canvas. Any of Rachel’s lovelies will do.
    2. Create a triangle shape. This will be the base for your pretties. Do NOT have any parts of the triangle off the page, I’d like to see all three points. The triangle can be equilateral or wonky like mine.
    3. Now comes the fun part, decorating your triangle.

* You must add a minimum of eleven (for November being the eleventh month) mixed media elements from
    this grouping:
    Journaling bits (Rachel’s word art)
    Artsy bits (i.e. ephemera, paper pieces, fabric bits, messy threads, frames, tied pieces)
    Paint and/or doodles, brushes
    Floral elements and/or leaves
    Fasteners, including tape, staples, clips, stitching, buttons

* You can mix and match on the mixed media, as long as you have at least eleven MM elements. And duplicates are also allowed. For instance, I used one of Rachel's paint twice (one on either side of my triangle.) :-)

* You may add another background paper or two or three or more ONLY to your triangle shape.

* You may add a photograph to your triangle, but that is optional.

* All add-ons to your triangle MUST touch the triangle shape, whether it be on top of, underneath, or extending from it.

4. Please list out your mixed media additions in this thread along with your gallery image.

Here is my sample page, using Whatever the Weather. Feel free to click on the layout to take you back to the gallery and credits.
    [​IMG]

I actually created two triangles for more dimension and stacked them on top of each other, clipping the same paper to both shapes. I debated over using a photo, but in the end I opted for one. And I added: 3 word strips/journaling bits, 5 paints/doodles, 1 sun stamp, 1 texture stamp, 1 frame, 2 paper pieces, 1 butterfly, 1 messy thread, 2 tied pieces (one with seashells, one with a fish), 4 floral bits/leaves (including one vine), 1 tape, 1 button, 1 staple. I then typed the date & location onto my photo. Obviously I went over the eleven required mixed media elements, but I had so much fun with it, I had a hard time stopping. :-)

Here are some wonderful examples from the team and recent guests:

From @Dady
    I used from "Every Day last Minute"
    2 papers, 3 words strips/journaling, 1 collage stamp, 2 collage paper pieces, 1 collage texture, 4 leaves, 2 messy threads, 1 heart collage and twice the same picture
    Dady_rjefferies_Challenge-copy.jpg

From @DivaMom96
    I used: 1 heart sticker, 2 word art labels, 3 threads, 6 paper pieces, 2 flowers, 1 leaf, 1 leaf branch, 1 painted branch on the far left. I also created a triangle, cut out the inside to create a frame, then clipped papers to the inside part and rotated. I added a duplicate of the inside triangle and layered it underneath the original triangle.
    DivaMom96_RJ_November-Challenge-Layout.jpg

From @ajm
    I used: 3 papers, messy thread 2x, felty, paper piece, scatter, sticker, foliage, floral cluster, floral, flower 2x and a stamp 2x.
    ajm_Schatje-800.jpg

From @Roxana
    I used exactly 11 elements: 1 black splatter, 1 calendar stamp, 1 leaf stamp, 3 journaling prompt, 1 rainbow stamp, 1 string, 1 blue flower, 1 yellow flower, 1 leaf.
    Roxana_Bright & Positive.jpg

From @FL-Karen
    I used more than 11 pieces (splatter (duplicated), stamps x2 (one of them duplicated), leaf, 5 flowers, button, stitch, messy thread, and 4 word arts. I made two triangles, one was duplicated while the other was tripled and flipped them (for a total of five triangles) along with two photos (one of different sizes for effect).
    FL-Karen_rjefferies-cc-whatevertheweather-mmp-06-800.jpg

From @zotova
    And even her quote is touching the triangle. :-)
    To make friends with a butterfly, you first have to transform yourself into a piece of nature. Turn off the human, lurk inside - and imagine yourself as a tree, a grass, or a flower. // Haruki Murakami
    zotova_A-girl-and-a-butterfly-2-off-150.jpg

From @Farwen
    farwen_rjguest27_Rachel-MMC_NOV21.jpg

From @Annsofie
    I used True and Free Collection. Background paper, 5 different paint and splatter, 2 stamps, scribble, thread, stitches, 3 flowers, leaves, 2 word strips, washi, 2 staples, ribbon
    annsofie_rachelj-novchallenge.jpg

Challenge Requirements:

* Your layout must be comprised of 100% Rachel Jefferies products; 90% must be currently available in her store. You may use up to 10% of retired products.
    * You may use items from Mixed Media Monthly collections of which Rachel was a part.
    * Upload your layout to the Rachel Jefferies Designs Gallery at TLP and list the products used in your credits.
    * For your challenge entry to be counted, you MUST upload your finished layout to this thread. Please link your thread to your gallery image as it helps us leave love on your layout (and, validate your project).
    * No double-dipping…your layout must be used for this challenge only, no others.
    You must create a new layout for this challenge.
    * This challenge will remain open until November 30, 2021.

Prizes:
    One lucky artist will be randomly drawn to win a $10 coupon to Rachel Jefferies shop.
    New Release Bonus Entry! If you use one of Rachel’s products released in November 2021 (a new release, M3, BYOC, and even SOSN released in November 2021) you will get a bonus entry for a chance to win a $6 coupon (should you not be the $10 winner). Please let me know if you are eligible for the $6 entry by stating “New Release Bonus Entry” when you post in the forum.

If you have any questions just tag me and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Enjoy the challenge!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  2. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you Marilyn for this challenge ❤️

[​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  3. zotova

zotova Well-Known Member

4. FL-Karen

FL-Karen Well-Known Member

Thank you for this month's challenge. It was fun playing with all the triangles!

[​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  5. ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

mcurtt likes this.
  6. Roxana

Roxana Bananas for radishes

mcurtt likes this.
  7. Farwen

Farwen Well-Known Member

mcurtt likes this.
  8. DivaMom96

DivaMom96 Well-Known Member

Congrats to the October winners!!! And this is a wonderful, challenging challenge!

[​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Congratulations to the winners! What an awesome challenge and I love all of the inspiration!!

10. nollipap

nollipap Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, can't wait to go shopping in Rachel's shop ♥♥♥.

mcurtt likes this.
  11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

This was so much fun, Marilyn. Thanks for a unique challenge.

[​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  12. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

So much fun. My 11 mixed media elements are: 2 stamps (fern and heather), 1 paint strips, 1 washi tape, 1 messy threads, 1 word art, 1 doily, 3 flowers, 1 butterfly.
    [​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  13. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

OOO - this looks fun!!! Off to check my Rachel goodies...

mcurtt likes this.
  14. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Here's mine!!

[​IMG]

This is for Rachel Jefferies Designer Challenge for November. I used:

Background paper: "Every Last Minute"
    text triangle: have to look - I merged images and lost the name of the paper.
    Brown Triangle: have to look - I merged images and lost the name of the paper.have to look - I merged images and lost the name of the paper.

Elements (Must use at least 11 - I have 14)
    Sequins, Scratch Word Art, textured scratch stamp: And So Here I Stand
    Butterflies: Heathland
    (2) Paper Tickets, leaf branch, branch: Look Deeper into Nature
    Ribbon: Hope Shines Bright
    Lace Ribbon, Happy Word Art, stitching: Happy Happy Happy
    Pressed Flower: Every Last Minute

mcurtt likes this.
  15. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

So Here Goes...The Challenge Requirement Is For At Least 11 Items That Touch Your Triangle...I Certainly Have More Than 11... :

*4 Butterflies : 3 WA Strip Journaling Prompts : 4 Bead Scatters : 1 Pair Of Boots : 2 Ship Stamps : 2 Captain Stamps : 1 Textured Stamp : 4 Teal Flowers : 4 Brown Flowers : 1 Frame : 4 Leaf Branches : 3 String Groupings : 1 Journaling Prompt : 3 Different Papers : I Think That's Everything :

*For My Storms Will Pass Layout : I Used :

*Carefully Curated : Whatever The Weather By Rachel Jefferies
    *Trust In This : Mixed Media Paperie : Rachel Jefferies [1]

[​IMG]

@mcurtt Hey Marilyn...I Have Been Having Some Color Problems With My Computer...The Colors Of This Layout Are Not Coming Through Properly On My Computer...Could You Tell Me If You See The Proper Colors?...The Colors Are Supposed To Be Teal Green,Khaki Green & Brown...Is That What You See?...Or Washed Out Turquoise?...If It's The Latter I Will Have To Delete This Post & Try Again...Thanks Marilyn...Rhonda...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    mcurtt likes this.
  16. mcurtt

Hi Rhonda, It is looking fine here. Boots and flowers are coming across as a darker teal. Somewhat lighter teal beads
    Pale green word strips & beads. Brown leaves & branches.

RJMJ likes this.
  17. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

@mcurtt O.K.! Awesome!...That's How It Is Supposed To Look!!!...Thanks!...:agree...:byay...:hi5...

mcurtt likes this.
  18. Claire Grantham

Claire Grantham Pollywog

Congrats to the winners, thank you for a fun challenge @mcurtt
    I used 18 items - heart, star scatter, paint splatter, x2 paper pieces, x2 staples (repeated), x2 floral clusters, x3 flowers, lace, x3 wordarts, stitching, messy mark and messy thread.

[​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  19. mywisecrafts

mywisecrafts Pollywog

Congrats to the winners! Thanks for this fun challenge…here’s my LO!

***new release bonus entry-Let’s Remember Collection****

2-black tree stamps in BG
    2-evergreen tree stamps
    1- music stamp behind top of Christmas tree
    1-per piece resized for tree trunk
    1-messy thread
    1-deer
    1-star
    1-ribbon
    5-red dot stamp
    3-scatters on the tree
    1-wordstrip
    2-green lined journaling paints/stamps on tree

[​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  20. mcurtt

I am in :heartlub with everyone's creativity!