Do you color your hair?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, Oct 21, 2021.

1. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I was wondering how many peeps here have their hair colored? I am a brunette, and ages ago the salon I went to get my nails done had an extreme makeover contest. If you volunteered, you would get salon services for half off. I love a good bargain so needless to say I jumped all over that. Not only did I get my hair cut and styled, I went blonde. I actually won the entire challenge for most extreme makeover and also won a gift basket full of stuff. I would go every couple months and get it maintained, but that got pricey. I then started using box dye to do my own roots. Fast forward to today where I just am too busy to even do that. I have been watching a ton of Brad Mondo videos on Youtube because I find them entertaining, and have decided to color my hair today. Going to go back to blonde. Hopefully it won't turn orange.

Do you color your hair?
    Do you do it yourself or at the salon? If you do it on your own, what products work best for you?
    How often do you do it?

MrsPeel and keepscrappin like this.
  2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I colored my hair from high school to 2020. (so almost 30 years). Mix of box, and professional. Mostly reds, blonds, mix of blond/brown and occasionally pink underneath. Timing depended on my color choice and my laziness to re-do it.

I started growing my hair out in 2019 and my cousin stylist did the baylage to blend my dyed color, to my natural color. The pandemic helped it move along, lol! So, now I'm mostly all natural - my cousin will occasionally paint a little color here and there. I would love to do a drastic color underneath... but haven't found a picture example I like yet. Strong vibrant big colors are hard to maintain. My avatar is the start of growing it out... so it's darker now.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I had red hair for years and it was major upkeep because my natural color is medium brown. I finally started having highlights put in and about 4 years ago, my hairdresser talked me into gradually going blonde. I have loved it! Fast forward to when my hairdresser moved back to Ohio. She taught me how to color it myself and I buy my color online. I haven't been to a hairdresser since she moved away until this summer, when I went to a local salon and had it trimmed and lowlights and new highlights put in. I'd been trimming my own hair since then, too. That was a huge bonus for me after covid struck and all the salons closed.

Now, my nails were a much more critical issue. I'd had acrylics, then gels on my nails for years. I had one HECK of a time getting them off when the salons all closed. They were a MESS! It took me well over a year to nurse them back to health and now then finally look pretty good again. I never thought they would. I'll never have anything put on my fingernails again.

AJK and weaselwatchr like this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Not any more.

Used to for years, started in my 30's because I had grey hairs popping up. Did it at home and also had a beautician do it. But it got to the point that the color was fading too fast and I was having to go every 4 to 5 weeks instead of 3 to 4 months. Then the last time I had it done, I actually had a reaction on my neck from the color. That was in June of 2011. I had shorter hair then and it took about 9 months for the colored portion to grow out and be trimmed off.

My avatar photo is what my hair looks like today except no bangs. Long and grey and I love it. My hair is actually healthier now than it ever was when I permed/colored for those 25 years.

Edit to add that I had dark brown hair all my life. Never changed colors.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  5. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Do you color your hair?
    Yes, gotta cover that gray! My natural color is dark brown with a touch of red highlights before I starting going grey.

Do you do it yourself or at the salon? If you do it on your own, what products work best for you?
    I do it at the salon now because I tried a different product because I couldn't find the Perfect 10 that I normally used at Ulta or Target/WalMart. I'm gun-shy now to try something new. It went all kinds of nasty orange! I had to have a pro fix it and quick, because it was a couple of days before hubby's company Christmas party and he's the manager! :giggle

My neighbor has a salon in her basement and she cuts, colors and styles my hair for $45, so I go to her now. Before that I used Clariol Perfect 10 and turned my gray hair into lovely red hightlights - the good red hair like my kids have. It was so easy to do at home with the applicator and I love the conditioner that comes with it. [​IMG]
    I've also wondered about the Madison Reed hair color you can do at home with supposed professional results, but have never dared try it since my neighbor does such a great job for a reasonable price and fits me in pretty quickly too.

How often do you do it?
    Not often enough. I should do every 8 weeks, but I have been known to go 4 months or more. I also don't go red anymore because my gray is getting really hard to cover and red color fades the fastest. I do use a root touch-up spray when I need to look good and didn't think ahead to get in for an appointment. :giggle I bought a bunch of it on a sale at Smiths during the covid lockdowns.
    [​IMG]

weaselwatchr likes this.
  6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I was naturally very blond until my mid 20s and then started gradually turning darker, so I started coloring when it got the the point where it wasn't an obvious definite blond anymore. My natural color now is kind of a mousy dried mud with lots of gray. I really don't feel like "me" with this color.

I've had my hair colored at a salon a few times, but I usually do it at home. One color I tried turned out kind of pale orangey strawberry blond. It wasn't a bad color, but it was terrible on me. I went to a salon to have it fixed and they told me I needed a level 10 ash blond so that's what I've stuck to ever since. My usual boxes (I need 2 per treatment) are Garnier Nutrisse White Chocolate.

I don't color as often I probably should (maybe every 3-4 months, sometimes more), and I end up with pretty long roots before I do it again, but I don't feel like the difference is drastic enough to look terrible. (Or I'm just fooling myself. :giggle) I didn't color at all during the pandemic because I don't like doing it when it's too long (I have a lot of hair), but I got it cut back to shoulder length over the summer and then went back to chin length with bangs again (similar to my avatar) a couple of weeks ago, so I'm getting ready to start coloring again very soon. I'd actually planned to do it this past weekend but didn't end up having time.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  7. weaselwatchr

I am currently sitting with my shower cap on waiting for my hair to fall out, lol. I am sure it won’t but I always go longer than the box says. I am using Garnier Nutresse Champagne.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    KimJ likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I am naturally a really dull dark brown and have been highlighting it for most of my life. I just feel like I look better with more blonde. I've been patiently waiting to go grey so that I can stop, but here I am at 56 with just a few greys here and there. I go to the salon and my goal is to go every couple of months, but it's usually more like 5 or 6 months because life gets in the way lol. I just went yesterday for the first time since April and I feel like a new person. I knew it was time when one of my students drew this picture of me :giggle:
    IMG_6404.jpg

norton94, Memaw2Wm, rach3975 and 4 others like this.
  9. KimJ

:rofl That portrait is awesome!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

She's super talented and just a little too accurate :rofl

AJK, norton94, Lisa B and 2 others like this.
  11. weaselwatchr

Well I am not blond, lol. Not sure where to go from here. Hair was too dark and I waited too long to do it.

12. weaselwatchr

Oh no, lol.....but that is pretty funny.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

OH my gosh Jan! That is so funny! I love the honesty of kids! Ha ha ha! @IntenseMagic

I do color my hair, and mostly I let my friend/stylist do it for me. BUT, she is awesome and send me home with her brand of professional color so I can do my own roots in between if I want to... and I do! I usually do it every 4-6 weeks and then every third time she does it for me and give me a cut too. My curly hair needs serious thinning or I get way too foofy. :giggle I've had a grey stripe in the front since I was 18 and now I have a LOT of grey all over the place. I don't wanna be gray just yet, so I keep coloring.

weaselwatchr and IntenseMagic like this.
  14. tam65

tam65 Break out the lawn mower!

Jet black is my natural colour with pink. Why not be fun with your hair colour I say

weaselwatchr likes this.
  15. KimJ

Well, darn! Do you like the color that you got?

16. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I have about 50-70% gray depending on the area of my scalp. I also have a shock of white hair on my right temple (think Cruella) ... for those reasons I dye my hair. While there is some vanity involved, it's mostly driven by wanting to avoid ageism in the workplace. I can't afford to look older than I am. At the beginning of the pandemic, I stopped dyeing and holy moly it aged me.

With that said, I've mostly been a DIY gal. There was a short stint a few years ago where I had it professionally done and they completely ruined my hair (it literally all broke off) and I was SOOOO sad. Because I have very curly hair it takes FOREVER to gain length.

I use the Wella Colorcharm line and do a root touch up about every 4 weeks. It's about a 45 minute process (so much cheaper than the salon and a lot less of a time commitment).

weaselwatchr likes this.
  17. Lisa B

Lisa B What am I supposed to do with all this chalk?

I'm naturally a light mousy brown. When I was 21 my roommate, who was a stylist, suggested I go a coppery red, and I've never gone back! Off and on I'll let a pro do my color, but normally I do it. I noticed a few years back that my hair started feeling dry, so I switched to a gentler brand and I like it better than anything I used previously. madison-reed.com

18. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I'm naturally blonde but as I've got older it's naturally turned darker. I've only ever added some blonde highlights when I was in my early teens I think. I do naturally have some copper highlights though if the light catches them.

19. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

My hair was always very dark. I did dye it some during my 20s, but it was mostly an auburn/red highlight over my dark hair. I started getting highlights before I got pregnant with Daniel - so 16+ years ago - and I'm still doing the same thing, but have added a low light regimen in with the highlights. I've been going to my hair dresser for 22 or 23 years. :)

Here's me at age 23:

scan.jpg

Here's me at age 51, just a few days before my hair appointment. You can see the gray most on the right side of my head:

2021-09-05-(13).jpg

Here's me at age 51, the day after getting my hair done:

2021-09-10-(14)-2.jpg

norton94, BevG and weaselwatchr like this.
  20. weaselwatchr

It’s not what I thought it would be but it’s not orange either so that’s good

KimJ likes this.