I applied for a new job. I have an interview. I am freaking out!!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, Oct 16, 2021.

1. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Hey everyone! A little back story. I have worked at my current company for over 30 years. I am a pharmacist. The past few years have been terrible at work. Things are always getting busier, staffing issues, and more responsibilities while corporate just doesn’t seem to care. It is at the point where I am afraid I am going to make a mistake that may hurt someone.

On a whim, I applied to the hospital. This is not the first time I applied at another company. But this is the first time I actually got a response. I am freaking out! I basically have not interviewed in like 30 years since high school. I know I am going to be asked why I am wanting to leave my job after such a long time. I know why but I don’t want to sound like a whiner complaining about my company.

I honestly shouldn’t be freaking out. But I am. Anxiety sucks…

chastml and cfile like this.
  2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Wow, congrats - all the best for this new opportunity.
    you're going to fly through it!
    We are all cheering you on.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  3. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Sometimes a change is just what you need. Crossing my fingers for you!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  4. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Congrats and good luck! It sounds like it might be a really good change, scary as it is to start over. I can sort of relate--I've been with my current employer first as a volunteer and then as an employee since 2006. When I transitioned to working there, they already knew me so they offered me the job without me ever applying. My last real job applications and interviews were in 2002--I'm already freaking out about needing to do it all again in 2 years (when I finish a certification I'm working on).

weaselwatchr likes this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

That's really exciting, but I'm sure a little scary as well. I know you've been struggling lately, so I hope this is just the change you need!! Wishing you all the best!! I've been at my job for 33 years, but once my son is out of high school next year, I'm going to be looking to move on as well, and it makes me pretty nervous to think about. If they ask, I think I'd just say something like "I felt like it was time for a change and new opportunities".

Memaw2Wm and weaselwatchr like this.
  6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

How exciting, Danica! When is the interview? I hope it all goes smoothly!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  7. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

This is so exciting! Congratulations on getting the interview! I hope it all goes well!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

With the way things are nowadays, I'd think they can guess why you'd leave a job and understand that things have changed. I've gotten hired 3 times since the pandemic began (only accepted twice) and in none of the interviews was I even asked why I'm leaving my previous job.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  9. LynnG

LynnG Designer

Congrats! But I understand the freaking out especially after so long. In situations like that I just take the 'one step at a time' approach :-) You can plan your responses to likely questions, ones that focus on positive reasons for change. Watch a few videos on interview prep. But don't think too much about all the 'what if's' I guess. If they do offer you the job your gut will tell you if it's the right thing to do. If they don't, I guarantee there will be something else good that happens down the line. :-)

G.T. and weaselwatchr like this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@weaselwatchr I know how stressed you've been, so I'm glad that you took action and applied elsewhere. They will be delighted to have you and your experience. The fact that you are worried about hurting a patron rather than being worried about being fired speaks volumes about your professional morals. I know that will come through in the interview. Lynn had some great advice. Prepare but don't panic. I'll be praying for you!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  11. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

Best of luck to you! Stay positive!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  12. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

good Luck and I understand why you might want to leave. i am sure is not easy being a pharmacist in a chain. Too much coporate in the mix. Good muck and you will do great!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  13. weaselwatchr

I am waiting to hear back what day. They had asked for a schedule to set something up. With it being the weekend I probably won’t hear back until Monday.

KimJ likes this.
  14. weaselwatchr

Thank you all for your support, suggestions, and well wishes. I am a classic worrier so of course that is what I am doing, lol. I am going to try to just let things happen. Hubby keeps saying remember to sell myself and talk about why I am so awesome! This of course is coming from a Leo who has no problems doing that. He did make a list of work accomplishments for me so I would remember all the things I accomplished during my long career.

G.T., Karen and KimJ like this.
  15. weaselwatchr

Thank you @gonewiththewind i need some prayers. Even if I don’t get the job the interview will be some good practice for me. Thursday I had technicians put in the wrong immunizations for 4 people. I would get in the room to confirm if it was a Covid one they were getting and come to find out it was flu or something else. What if I didn’t ask them? I know not everyone does. I think that was it for me. I got on LinkedIn and saw that application and filled it out.

G.T. and gonewiththewind like this.
  16. weaselwatchr

Very sound advice. I think I really need to calm down and just let things happen. Hubby was nice enough to make me a list of all my career accomplishments so I will focus on that and just see what happens

LynnG likes this.
  17. weaselwatchr

You know you are probably right and I didn’t even think about that that they probably already know why I might be looking for a change.

LynnG and michelepixels like this.
  18. weaselwatchr

Good luck to you in your future endeavors! And thank you for your support

rach3975 likes this.
  19. weaselwatchr

thank you!
    thanks for all the positivity! It really helps!

20. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. Even if they did ask, there's no need to focus on the negatives of your current job: you're looking for a new opportunity, ready for a new challenge, and so on.

Congrats on the interview! You've got this. You're going to do great!

michelepixels likes this.