Mouse | Pad Patter 9.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Sep 19, 2021.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Not the furry kind, but the computer kind :giggle
    [​IMG]

I was in Best Buy yesterday and wasn't really shopping for a new mouse, but just browsing. I didn't buy one, but when I got home my mouse decided to start acting all wonky and just gave up on me. It's just a simple Logitech wireless mouse, but I've had it for years! I have a laptop, but I am not a fan of the trackpad. I have gotten better with it since all my kids at school use Chromebooks and I've had to help them often, but I still prefer a mouse. I saw some old threads with recommendations, but thought I'd ask again...
    Do you have a mouse that you love? Wired or wireless? Are there functions that you love/need?

2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I've always used a mouse even with a laptop, just can't get used to the touch pad. I use Logitech Wired Mouse M90 Black USB, the one I have now is the 2nd one I've had of the same model....figured why change if it works for me.

IntenseMagic and Iowan like this.
  3. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I have a wired vertical mouse. It's my second one. The first still physically worked but eventually became incompatible with Windows. It's got an extra button that I just set to also be right-click. The reason I like it is that it's more ergonomic for me. The top of my hand gets very sore very easily using a standard mouse. I switch back and forth between using the mouse with my right hand and using my Intuos tablet with my left hand.

I stick to wired because the few times I've tried using other people's wireless ones they felt heavy to me. Might have just been those particular ones, but since I'm using a desktop, I don't have a need to go wireless anyway. I have a really wide keyboard tray on my desk, so the tablet, keyboard, and mouse all live on it at a nice comfortable height.

IntenseMagic and Iowan like this.
  4. ad77

ad77 Well-Known Member

I had a lot of different types through years - mice at my computer have a high mortality rate (some accidents with a cup of coffee, sometimes I do not treat the mouse gently etc.) I´m not a fan of wireless, quite unreilable - but may be I always had the faulty piece.
    So I´m looking for wired, durable, not so expensive, with a nice shape for my (quite tiny) hand. And the last one I bought is gorgeous! I really felt in love with. The saleswoman, when I explained it to her, recommended me gaming mouse as the best choice - and she was right. Perfect shape and it really has everything I need. It´s this one https://www.speedlink.com/en/VADES-Gaming-Mouse-black-red/SL-680014-BKRD.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm no help because for 10 years I've been using an iMac, but I highly recommend the Apple Magic Trackpad. It's so much more comfortable than a mouse. It feels like more freedom for my hand, as I easily swipe, scroll, and pinch. :D

My husband uses a trackball, which he firmly declares is superior to a mouse. I don't know the brand but I'll try to remember to ask him. (He has it with him as he is away, hosting a D&D game.)

My kids just use the cheap wireless ones. I think Logitech, like you said.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

My son and I both have Logitech M510 wireless mice and like them. I don't really use the extra buttons (even though I thought I would--I just haven't taken the time to learn how to program them), but I like the size and feel of it and that it doesn't need a mousepad. I also like that it uses Logitech's Unifying Receiver. That may not matter for you, but it means that you can attach up to 6 compatible Logitech devices using the same little receiver piece that goes in a USB port. Right now I have my keyboard and mouse connected to the same receiver, and if I get a travel mouse that will be the 3rd device attached to the same receiver. (I want a second mouse to keep in my computer bag for work and school, and I'm torn about whether to get a second M510 or a smaller one meant for travel. Either way, I'll make sure it's compatible with the Unifying Receiver.)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Just a Logitech, too. Nothing fancy - plain black, but it's a warrior. I bought a pretty turquoise one and it didn't last very long. Mine's king of small and old.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have a Logitech M310 at home and I think a M510 at work. The 310 is a little smaller, but it doesn't bother me that it is smaller. It's pretty plain and simple and they usually have differnt patterns and colors in both styles, but I usually just get plain blue or dark grey. I must have the roller middle mouse button that also clicks (use it a TON for work) but otherwise, plain and simple works for me. :agree

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I have 3-4 Logitech M325 (wireless). They cost about $14 and have worked great for me. They are small, which I like.

Edited to add, that I dislike trackpads and have my laptop set to turn it off if I have a mouse plugged in. I also use the M325 for my office and home desktops and my laptop. :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have a Logitech M705. It's like every Logitech mouse I've had over the decades. It does have a feature I've never had before: scroll wheel lock. I can lock it so it clicks like I'm used to, or I can unlock it and it freely scrolls. I've used the feature a few times, but it's not a make or break for me right now. I do like the page flip button the side.

I also have the Logitech wireless keyboard, K350. The keyboard has been so awesome! It has a row of programmable buttons, so I can 1 button open Photoshop, 1 button Lightroom, and 1 button my scrap supplies photo! Because I have the keyboard, I have a mouse with the unifying receiver. Like Rachel said, I have one received in my computer, and it works for both.

11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@bestcee and I have the same keyboard/mouse combo. This is my second set and I love it!

bestcee and IntenseMagic like this.
  12. IntenseMagic

I get it...I think the last several I've had are pretty similar models. It's hard for me to get used to something different :)

The vertical ones intrigue me! I'm not sure I'd ever get used to it lol. I like to go in the store and feel them up before I buy one, so I may have to see if I can try one of those.
    I'm using a wired one now. I don't travel much with my laptop because I have it connected to a second monitor and it looks so tiny when I try to use it on its own.

I really like that one! I'm going to take a closer look! Thanks for sharing!!

I am working on getting more comfortable with trackpads since that's all the kids use at school. I'm still really slow with it, but getting better. I think I would like using one if I could get used to it. I have never tried the trackball. My husband had one at one time as well.

The mouse I have now has the unifying receiver. My keyboard is also Logitech and they have both worked really well. My mouse is the M325 and it has lasted me a few years...until this weekend lol That's a great point that I hadn't thought of! This one doesn't have the extra buttons, but the last one I had did. I never took the time to program them either.

rach3975 and KimJ like this.
  13. IntenseMagic

Mine had been as well (it's red) until this weekend! I've been super impressed with it considering how cheap it was.

Mine is the M325 and it really has done well. I like plain and simple, too!!

That's the one I have and it's been awesome!! I haven't had a second of trouble with it in the probably 5 years or so that I've had it...at least not til now...but it's been well worth the cost.

I have the Logitech K780 keyboard and I LOVE it!! I also use it with the unifying receiver/mouse. My favorite thing about my keyboard is that I can program it to work with three different devices. Right now it's set up for the computer and my phone via Bluetooth. I use it when I'm posting on Instagram and need to type lengthy captions, or if I'm at my computer, I can reply to text messages without picking up my phone :)

bestcee and Cherylndesigns like this.
  14. bestcee

I tried one, and didn't like it. But my husband (lefty) loves it! He took it and uses it a lot.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. bestcee

You inspired me! I went in and programmed my side buttons today. One is not alt+click (common photoshop shortcut for me) and the other copy. We'll see if I remember to use them!

rach3975 likes this.
  16. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

The trackball my husband uses now is a brand called Perixx. He has been using it for about a year. He said it's good, but he wishes Logitech still made the one he used to use.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I prefer cordless but have trouble with them these days. For some reason using the USB dongle, they lose connection and frustrate me to no end. On the desktop the dongle is 24 to 30 inches away. Now when Logitech had receivers that connected to a USB port but had a cord so it sat on the desk, I never had an issue. I do use a Logitech M215 cordless with my laptop. No issues there because the USB port is within inches of the mouse. Have never liked using a touch pad.

So I had to switch to corded. Using the default Dell laptop and mouse that came with the computer. Never been one for all the extras on the keyboards even if I did have them.

18. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

I have a MacBook and absolutely hate using the trackpad, hubby has just given me his old Microsoft wireless mouse its nothing fancy but so much easier to use.

IntenseMagic likes this.