your dream desk | Pad Patter 10 Sept

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Sep 11, 2021.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

[​IMG]

DH has spent the last month planning and is now in the process of assembling his dream desk for the home office (Not that this image is in any way indicative of it (toilet chair anyone?! lol i do like the inbuilt cupholder to protect the keyboard and that combination mobile phone/cell phone mouse)). It is several timber panels long and spans one wall and goes around the corner in an L shape and would continue the length of that wall as well, if i had given up my little corner desk (as i predominantly scrap from one end of the kitchen table which generally works for me).

What would be your dream desk set-up or are you living the dream already?

norton94 and amien1 like this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I don't really have a dream desk but I am looking at doubling up with a coffee table when I move as I've seen one I think will do double or triple duty whenever I move as there is a good chance I will not have room for a dedicated desk space. I have a desk now and it just ends up being a dumping ground for stuff and never used so at least if I go this route its a piece of furniture I know I'd use

[​IMG]

bestcee and bellbird like this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

looks like a great space saver!

4. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Ohh, love that Jennifer!
    I am pretty happy with my desk set-up. Would maybe add a UPS and a cup holder.

bellbird likes this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I love the setup I have now. I love an L desk but couldn't fine one that would work in my office. So I got a regular desk and use a folding table to add the L. Great thing about that is that I can put that table away when I want.

@littlekiwi my cousin had a table like that. They are nice except if you have back problems. I found that I had to lean forward to use it and that aggravated my lower back. It just didn't come out far enough to be able to sit back in the chair/couch for back support. She actually found that it was good to have when we had family gatherings so people could use it to hold their food instead of on their laps. After she moved, she ended up getting rid of it because we no longer have the big family gatherings that we had 20 years ago.

6. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

I don't have a particular desk in mind. But I would want tonnes of desk space and everything (supplies) at arms length. Which may be hard...bc too much stuff. Forget a desk....I need a room!

7. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We updated our home office when I started working from home part time- so it's just about perfect. I would like to get one of those large ikea cubby shelves for some better storage for my crafty stuff on the opposite wall, but besides that I love my office/desk set up (and my triple monitor setup!!!)
    [​IMG]

katell and bestcee like this.
  8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm living the dream already. Or at least, I'm quite happy with the desk I have. Two and half years ago I even scrapped about it.
    [​IMG]

Here's a more recent photo from early this year from a good angle that shows the location of my desk in the nook between my kitchen and my family room. So even when I'm taking time to myself, I'm not completely separated from my family. I turned the desk 90 degrees from the wall a year ago and it makes it a snug space but I like it! Also, I got a new iMac last September.
    Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 3.48.15 PM.png

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  9. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

An infinity desk that will tidy itself up when not in use would be a wonderful thing....

Karen, Mrsdudds, bestcee and 2 others like this.
  10. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

I would love an L desk or wrap-around-the-room desk. Just never enough room right now! If I could have a separate messy space for paints etc from my tech I'd love that.

11. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I love my current desk! I've had it since 2012, which is probably the longest I've ever used and loved a desk. This is a bad picture, but it's the only one I've taken since adding a monitor this summer. My laptop is on the shelf all the way to the left, the middle one of the visible shelves.

My desk holds a remarkable amount for the size of its footprint. It's one of the huge 5x5 Expedit shelves from IKEA combined with one of their Micke desks. The Expedit and Micke line up perfectly (the desk surface is the same height as the shelves right behind it), but I don't know if that would be the case with the current Kallax line, since its bottom isn't as thick. Before this I'd splurged on an expensive desk, and I didn't like it all that much. This one has so much more storage and has held up a lot better. The one thing I don't love is that the tv is right behind my head so the speakers are way too close to me, but we don't have another space for my desk here on the main level.

[​IMG]

LivyBug likes this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I've been debating.... I'm at dual right now, and a third is tempting me!

amien1 likes this.
  13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Oh man, I loved when I had three (the shelf broke and I lost one monitor - now I have two new monitors and a shelf that will be standing long after our house falls apart LOL)! Now I just use my iPad as my third screen for watching/listening to videos while designing or scrapping.

Here's what I have, and I'm okay with it for my digital scrapping. But anything else and I find myself longing for more space and to have all my craft supplies at hand instead of in three or four different places. It's organized, but not right at hand.

2021-08-04-(4)-2.jpg

Here's my dream . . . it actually folds up and everything is hidden. So much storage!

IMG_7114_1024x1024.jpg

rach3975, amien1 and LivyBug like this.
  14. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Just realized that I have a layout about my old and new desks in the gallery. I did love the old desk and had gotten it in the mid 90's. It just didn't work with dual monitors. And you will see that I used a really old card table to make it an L as well! I couldn't find one with a hutch that I liked well enough when I got the new one. But I do love the one I got. I have a 4' folding table from Wal-Mart that I put to my right (in front of the drawers) to make it an L. It is like that most of the time!

[​IMG]

15. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm pretty happy with my setup right now, 3 screens, 2 keyboards, side by side on the desk. I put a short shelf under one monitor to prop it up the height of the others and gives me room to tuck my wacom and marker/pen holder under it, so I have room to put my notepad at the edge of the desk. I have a drawer under the keyboard to hold my wacom tablet pen and extra pen (I don't like to leave that on the desk in case the pup gets curious and I cannot scrap without my tablet/pen). It's only 1.5" deep, although wide, so I can keep a ruler and paper in it. I have a kneeling chair that slides back and forth, depending on which computer/monitor I'm working on. The only thing I might want to improve that would be something to make it easier to get at the back of the PC's when needed. I hate having to crawl under the desk with a flashlight and try to get at the connectors. I wish I had more USB ports too.

So, no real complaints about my desk.

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I upgraded my desk last summer to a longer IKEA/Alex combo. I LOVE it. My desk is the dumping grounds for all paperwork and sometimes I don't have time to deal with it all right away, so I wanted some space for the pile of junk and still space to work. Lol. I absolutely love the Alex drawer units too. They hold SO much stuff. I have several in my craft room too.

[​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  17. bestcee

I like my desk a lot. It's technically a kitchen table.

I like my dual monitors, but a third is really tempting as I look at others set ups!
    The router is right by my desk, so I am directly plugged in. My husband built the shelf my monitors sit on, so they are the perfect height for me to look at. The drawer on the desk holds pens and other miscellaneous stuff like store reward cards, chapstick, calculator, etc. The desk light is one of those wi-fi lightbulbs - I can change the color and the brightness on it which is fabulous! I always have just enough light without too much. There's a window to my right, so I get some natural light. And Nick's desk is behind me, so we can hang in the same room but not distract each other.
    I need to hang something in that open spot next to the clock. I'm thinking of some scrap page frames.
    I love my cupholder that keeps my drinks off my desk, and that pen holder is new last month. Everyone likes to drop pencils and pens on my desk, and this way they are corralled and no one goes through my desk looking for a writing utensil.

2021-09-12-00.46.09.jpg

18. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

We have the same clock! :D You can see mine in post 8 above.

bestcee likes this.
  19. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I'm pretty happy with my set up. You can sort of see it in the background of this top photo. It's small but I like the cozy little spot it's in and that it's right in the middle of everything.
    [​IMG]

Karen and bestcee like this.
  20. bestcee

LOL! That's funny!

michelepixels likes this.