Photo sizes

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by NewE Designz, Sep 12, 2021.

1. NewE Designz

NewE Designz New Member

Why is it when I use photos from my phone my scrapped page is always too big for the gallery? When I use photos from my camera, they are always fine. What am I missing?

2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Your layout needs to be 600x600 and under 250 kb. I'm not sure what the difference is between your phone photos and your camera photos (maybe your resolution on your phone is much higher than the settings on your camera - although usually it's the other way 'round)?

I'm sharing how to save for web just in case this helps you:

Gallery: Sizes and Crediting

cfile likes this.
  3. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

What program are you using to resize for the gallery? Photoshop CC or Photoshop Elements have a save for web option. Here's a a couple of tutorials that might help.
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/gallery-sizes-and-crediting.51961/

https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/how-to-get-your-layout-right-in-the-gallery-and-forum.46624/

And there are also some free photoshop actions from our designers to help resize your layouts.

[​IMG]
    http://www.fiddle-dee-deedesigns.com/p/save-4-web-freebee.html

Hope that helps! :agree

4. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Is it size or type of file, my phone wants to save everything in a format that is only good for APPLE. It infuriates me! I have to open all the images from my phone into my computer to upload to galleries or my blog.

Iowan likes this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have noticed that the file sizes on my photos from my phone are getting bigger and bigger, but when I do a resize like mentioned above where I switch the image size from 300 dpi (for printing) to 72 dpi (for online galleries) and then make it 600 x 600 pixels, I'm usually under the size limit. But every once in awhile over the last year I've had some of my layouts that are still huge even after my normal resizing, and then I have to do the save for web function in Photoshop to get them small enough. It is so weird and I can't figure out why it happens sometimes, but not always. :stars

6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Maybe the files from your phone have a lot of extra metadata? For my layouts, I always select all, copy merged, and paste into a brand new blank document before resizing, etc. That way the image is just the data of the actual pixels in the final design, eliminating any extra info stored in the original layout file. I haven't used the actions listed above, so I'm not sure if they do that for you.

bellbird and Karen like this.
  7. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Did you know you can go into your phone settings and change the save photos setting back to jpgs? I agree that the Apple save format is a colossal pain, just added steps for Photoshop users.

bellbird and Karen like this.
  8. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

I try to upload my layouts for MOC, but a lot of them stay to big, whatever I try... I used the Save for web from Fiddle-Dee-Dee, made own actions, tried an app, cut all extra's outside the border, pixelized every item...

update: I made screenshots of my layouts! That worked... :crazy3

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Karen likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.