watermelon | pad patter 8.3.21

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Aug 3, 2021.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

[​IMG]

It's national watermelon day and I just had to post about it because I love, love, love watermelon. It's my favorite part of summer! I loved it as a kid and still do. I just wish I could master picking the perfect watermelon and then I'd be set. :agree

How about you? Do you love watermelon?
    Can you pick a good watermelon?
    If so, what are your tips and tricks?

gonewiththewind and umyesh like this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I’m not a fan and neither is one of my daughters. I haven’t mastered picking good ones either so I’ll watch this thread for the sake of my watermelon-loving family members.

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Not a fan here either. I love other kinds of melon, but never have cared for watermelon. And I really dislike any watermelon flavored anything :td

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I'll eat it if I'm at a picnic and it is available. I'll also eat it if I buy one of those pre-mixed fruit bowls at the grocery with various melon pieces in them. But I won't buy it myself. I just don't eat that much of it. I always preferred cantaloupe to watermelon and we would have that a lot in the summer when I was growing up. Can't remember ever having a big watermelon in our house since it would have taken the 3 of us forever to finish it off!

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

When I was growing up, my mom would buy the normal 25 to 30 pound watermelons that were chock full of black seeds. The average cost of watermelon in 1960 was 2 1/2 cents per pound! We would all have huge chunks (outdoors) and it would be gone in one meal (5 kids in the family). Today I buy the seedless, 3 pound ones at 45 to 55 cents per pound. I like watermelon but usually serve a watermelon/cantaloupe mixture. I tend to keep watermelon on hand in the summer because it is Grandson, Connor’s ❤️❤️ favorite food.

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I love love love watermelon! In fact, I had watermelon late last night for a snack! Now I'm heading back to the fridge to eat the rest of it!

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

We love watermelon here!! I'm horrible at picking ripe ones, so I typically pay the extra money and get pre-cut watermelons. I know. I know.

On another note - who puts salt on their watermelon?? My Dad did this all the time and I never understood it!!

keepscrappin and BevG like this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I love it but I want the seedless watermelons now.

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'll eat watermelon and have enjoyed it, though it doesn't seem as sweet nowadays as I remember from childhood. No one else in my family likes it so I rarely ever buy any.

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Yes! Best part of the summer,-Apart from swimming -is eating watermelon. In fact Tony just got a box ( 5 ) of ripe Maltese ones yum ! Up to now we have had the smaller imported ones. Nice to,but the Maltese ones are sweeter. We cut a half at the time. It often substitutes a drink.

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

I love watermelon and even had some for breakfast this morning. I usually buy the watermelon already cut up because I'm terrible at choosing a good one.

When I was little I salted my watermelon but now I like it better without the salt.

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Love it! Hit or miss on picking a good one!

Have you heard about people putting mustard on their watermelon? I think it was on tiktok. I tried it last time we were at the lake house & happened to have both watermelon & regular old mustard. It was actually pretty good! Makes the melon taste kinda tangy!

keepscrappin and jk703 like this.
  15. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

So did my dad. I would if I was at a picnic but if I buy the fruit bowls with precut pieces, I don't.

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I like watermelon and I think all of us in my family do too, but I am so lazy about cutting it up, so I don't buy full ones very often. If I do buy it, I get it already cut up and ready to eat. We all have to get some before my oldest son finds it though... he'll eat it all, no matter how much I buy. He LOVES cut up fruit and veggies!

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I LOVE watermelon. It has to be icy cold and I usually like it with salt but can eat it without.

My daughter actually grew watermelon this summer. We got a couple of small watermelons. They were really good.

keepscrappin likes this.
  18. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Watermelon is da bomb! If I could get enough ripe ones, I would eat it all summer. Here when its too hot to eat or cook, that's my go-to! (July- August)

keepscrappin likes this.
  19. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I love it! Every few weeks I'll buy one. Three of us here eat it, so I can't buy it more often than that or the kids get tired of it since we have to eat a LOT of watermelon every time I do! My real favorite is honeydew, but I'm so bad at picking those that I stick to watermelon!

keepscrappin likes this.
  20. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

We both love watermelon. Hubs likes it by itself but I like it in mixed fruit bowls with berries and pineapple.

keepscrappin likes this.