*** WINNERS ANNOUNCED *** CHALLENGE - A bit of School Readiness | Summer School 2021: Week 5 Math

Discussion in 'Summer School 2021' started by Dalis, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

--- and a bit of ELA... LOL!!!!

Let me show you what we will be creating this week, or give you an inspiration.

[​IMG]
    We are making bookmarks! Simple hybrid idea that will have even hybrid newbies happy to play with some paper, scissors and glue. My example here is an oldie but goodie! I used some feather shapes to make some bookmarks. These are retired but there are a bunch of other shapes that you can cut in your cutting machines here in the store.
    In reality bookmarks are usually rectangles and no need for fancy (but super cool cutting machines) even simple scissors or paper cutters will do! I want you to create some cool bookmarks for this challenge. I want you to be inventive, either in the shape, or in the scene or the way you portray or use your bookmark. Make sure you read the challenge rule area below.

I want to show you some examples of members of this fabulous community who have created a bookmark before.

@michele hillam
    The shape of this bookmark and the idea that the little bumblebee peeks up from the book is beyond clever and adorable! Surprise element: bumble bee peeking out
    [​IMG]

@jeanne
    I love that she did a background paper and some splatter, quote and a little heart, but she didn't stopped there, check out the cute little holes around the bookmark, all digital!
    surprise element: the stitching
    [​IMG]

@mrspotts
    The surprise element here is that she printed her bookmark in VELLUM! Such a clever little surprise!
    [​IMG]

@SandyPie
    Ok, check these out, what a sweet little surprise to see a picture tucked in that sleeping bag! EASY PEASY... it's all done in the computer printed out, rounded corner and added some ribbons!
    [​IMG]

@cfile
    I wonder is Christa remembers when she made this adorable and cool bookmark. I love that there is a front and a back for this bookmark! surprise element: double sided bookmark
    TIP: if you want your bookmark to have a front and back it's as simple of making the image double the width than you want. Print and then fold in the middle and tape/glue it down!
    [​IMG]

@alleycat
    Ok, this is so cool, she made a digital card that has a bookmark that coordinates and the can be just pulled off!
    Surprise element that card/bookmark pull off element.
    [​IMG]

Challenge prizes:
    There will be one $10 first place, one $5 second place, and one random $3.

Challenge rules:
    • Create a bookmark.
    • Use a surprise element on your bookmark and tell us what it is. (A rectangle bookmark with a quote won't do it for this challenge, so put your thinking cap on!)
    • Please credit the products you have used in the gallery.
    • The deadline to upload your page to have a chance at winning the prizes is the end of Summer School Week 5, Sunday August 8, 2021 , 11:59pm EDT [New York time zone]

• Normal challenge rules also apply:
      • Your entry must be a new item for this challenge.
      • Your entry must contain at least 75% Lilypad product.
      • Your entry must be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then posted in this thread so I can track entries and comment on your page.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Nemla, Cherylndesigns, Ferdy and 2 others like this.
  2. Dalis

Saving this post for questions!

3. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

This sounds so fun Dalis! I'll see what I can come up with...

4. Dalis

Can't wait to see!!!!

umyesh likes this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I love this idea! Super fun challenge!

6. Dalis

Thanks Karen!

Karen likes this.
  7. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

This sounds like my sort of challenge. These were bookmarks I made earlier this year for a challenge on another site:

Monthly#3_Library-Month_Bookmarks-copy.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  8. Dalis

Those are adorable, I can't wait to see what you create for this challenge. I like those glasses ones. btw. love the little surprise of them going OVER the page, so you can use that same idea to make new ones.

A-M likes this.
  9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@Dalis Yup I remember making that :) I make bookmarks all the time and just as you said, I fold in half and glue stick :) Book marks are so fun to make... corner bookmarks are also fun!! I love your feather! Fun challenge!

Dalis likes this.
  10. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I did not have much to do tonight so I made four bookmarks ( 2 of each). What I do is create the base bookmark as a whole ( rectangle of paper with the image at the top) and then add to my canvas another of the elements ( sheep or worm) to be printed and then all cut out. The separate element is only attached at the top over its matching image, so then it can be slipped over the page.
    [​IMG]

norton94, wvsandy, Ferdy and 5 others like this.
  11. bjthomas

bjthomas We will rock you!

@Dalis Quick question ... do we need to print the bookmarks for this challenge? I don't have easy access to a printer, but if that's necessary for the challenge, I'll see what I can do.

Dalis likes this.
  12. Dalis

yes, since it's HYBRID week, it must be printed.

bjthomas likes this.
  13. bjthomas

bjthomas We will rock you!

Thank you :)

Dalis likes this.
  14. FL-Karen

FL-Karen Well-Known Member

I'm sending mine to Walgreens to print out. :(

Dalis likes this.
  15. Dalis

Karen, that is a great idea! It doesn't have to be a LONG bookmark, it could be a short one. 2x6 bookmark with a 4x6 picture.

16. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Here’s my bookmark! It’s double sided (though I forgot to photograph the other side) AND I printed stickers to fill the white space! Thanks for the fun Dalis!
    [​IMG]

wvsandy, Dalis and A-M like this.
  17. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Last year I made a bookmark for my grandchildren with the kit 'get your read on' from Pink Reptile Designs

[​IMG]

my bookmarks

20-02-boekenlegger1-copy.jpg 20-02-boekenlegger2-copy.jpg

time for new ones ...

Dalis likes this.
  18. FL-Karen

FL-Karen Well-Known Member

I went WAY OVERBOARD.... but I had so much fun creating them! I really need the outlet!! SO, thank you!! I did spend time drawing out different shapes (ie... squares, rectangles, etc); finding the dimensions and re-creating the corner bookmark and the look alike minion in Photoshop. When it was all said and done, I ended up send with 10 photos (4x6) being sent to Walgreens to print. Then, got home last night and started cutting and gluing them together!! FUN, FUN, FUN!!!

I love the feather example. So, I did find a neck tie and the wrench from Dad Life by Just Jaimee and added word art to it. I wasn't really happy with them so I went to Pinterest....

Credits:
    Minion: Shapes drawn and attached solids from Blue Skies Ahead by Rachel Jefferies.

Corner Bookmarks: drew out dimensions found online (making my own template). One I attached a pic off my first grandson and then the other I used the hat, glasses, and mustache from Dad Life by Just Jaimee.

Butterflies (blue and teal): Rectangle shapes, attached papers and picked the butterflies from
    Oh, Yes You Can by Rachel Jefferies and Trust The Journey-Thrive Kit by Rachel Jeffries.

Special grandpa one: Rectanlge shape, attached paper and picked out 2 bubbles and added word art from
    Fathers Day Special by Paula Kesselring. One side says "my hero", the other says "the best grandpa".

[​IMG]

Thank you for hosting this challenge! I always did love Math class, ROFL!!

norton94, wvsandy, Teri and 2 others like this.
  19. Dalis

Those letters looked stamped!!! Can’t wait to see the new ones!

20. Dalis

These are fantastic!!!!

FL-Karen likes this.