August Photography Challenge

Discussion in 'August 2021 Challenges' started by lcpereyra, Jul 29, 2021.

1. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

Hello! I'm happy to bring you this month's photography challenge where we will capture a shadow.

I love photographing shadows and look for them everywhere I go. I find they create interesting design elements and I enjoy seeking them out. This month I want you to take photograph where a shadow is the subject and focal point of your image. Be sure to capture a shadow, not a silhouette. While they have visual similarities, they are different:

Shadow - a dark area or shape produced by a body or subject coming between rays of light and a surface.

Silhouette - the dark shape and outline of someone or something visible against a lighter background, especially in dim light.

So a shadow is the dark image that is cast onto a surface, while a silhouette is the subject itself darkened. Once you have your photograph of a shadow - which can be anything living or non-living (think people, animals, flowers, trees, nature, fences, signs, benches, buildings, bicycles, and so on....) - use it on your layout. You can have any number of photos, but at least one photograph must have a shadow featured prominently as the focal point for your photograph and easily identified on your layout.

Here is my layout for this challenge:

augchallengeweb.jpg

Credits: Memory Pockets Monthly: Wild

Please remember the monthly challenge rules: Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then linked to the August Challenge Layouts thread so it can be tracked, and to this thread.

The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a $50 gift certificate from the Lilypad! The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month; the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    CharlotteM likes this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Love shadows in photography - excited for this one!

lcpereyra likes this.
  3. MariSt

MariSt Well-Known Member

I love your page! And am so impressed with such a long hike!

lcpereyra likes this.
  4. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I took a photo with a featured shadow in it during our recent little holiday but I might see if I can photograph something this month to use.

lcpereyra likes this.
  5. Mingo08

Mingo08 Ctrl+Z is my friend

This should be fun!

6. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@lcpereyra Is it okay for me to use a photo with a shadow, but the main object (causing the shadow) also in the photo? Else it is pretty hard to determine what the shadow is from. The shadow is larger than the object. Photo was taken this morning. Thanks for the response. :-)

lcpereyra likes this.
  7. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Does this have to be a new photo? We are shrouded in smoke here & no sunlight is coming thru for awhile :( HATE smoke season...

8. lcpereyra

That should be fine!

9. lcpereyra

It is always preferential to take a new photo for the monthly photography challenges as the goal is to practice using the camera, but if you aren't able to do so with natural or artificial light sources, then use what you have. :)

amien1 likes this.
  10. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the challenge ... love the subject
    I took my photo in the dome ... because the photo is quite abstract I have added the photo of the dome ...

[​IMG]

AJK, Mingo08 and A-M like this.
  11. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I am sharing this page because of the second photo shows the shadow of my husband and I looking out at the scene ( me taking the photo). If you look closer at about the center of the photo you can see the "two little people". I will hopefully return later in the month with a current photo from this month.

[​IMG]
    Here is the photo:
    IMG_8467.JPG

Ferdy and Sharon-shutterbug like this.
  12. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

This will be a fun challenge!

13. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

14. chigirl

chigirl Candy Corn junkie

15. Sharon-shutterbug

Sharon-shutterbug Active Member

16. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Here's the photo I came up with, a different one than I had initially intended to use:

[​IMG]

17. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

18. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

19. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

Same here. We have had warnings to not go outdoors and I can't remember when I saw the sun last...

20. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member