TUTORIAL - DYD A PAST CHRISTMAS | Summer School 2021: Week 4 Holiday Break

Discussion in 'Summer School 2021' started by tkradtke, Jul 27, 2021.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Merry Christmas in July everyone!

One of my favorite things to bring out every December is my collection of Document Your December books...

445A1927 4x6tlp.jpg

I've been pretty good about keeping up and printing a book each year. But what about those past Christmases? Should they not get a book just because you hadn't started scrapping or heard of DYD yet? No! They should be able to join the collection... and honestly, I find them easier for put together for a variety of reasons...

1. The years before I started DYD, I have way fewer photos to work with. This greatly cuts down on selecting and editing photos.

2. This isn't necessarily a great thing, but there's usually not a lot of journaling to add. Depending on how long ago I'm working with, the most I can come up with is a one line description for each set of photos.

This Christmas in July, I decided to work with my 2007 photos and here's what I did:

STEP ONE: LISTED MY PHOTOS TO SCRAP
    I opened my November and December 2007 folders and looked for Christmas related photos. I listed them in a notebook and added the date from the photo's file info.

STEP TWO: PICKED A TEMPLATE SET
    I wanted to make this project a quick one, one I did not overthink. I went into the DYD section of the store and picked a template set to work with. I decided on Designed by Soco's 2020 December Memories...

[​IMG]

STEP THREE: ADDED PHOTOS AND JOURNALING
    Again, trying not to overthink things, I just put photos onto pages first. The great thing about the template set I picked is that I could easily add patterned papers to the spots I didn't have photos for... easy peasy! Once photos were on templates, I went back to change the dates to match my photos and added captions/journaling.

ChristmasinJulyTLP.png

As luck would have it... I ended up with exactly 20 pages which is what I needed to print a book through Shutterfly! (TIP: If you find yourself without enough pages of photos to print a book through somewhere like Shutterfly, you can always add in full page word art for fun!)

STEP FOUR: ADD THE FINISHING TOUCHES
    I thought about doing more here, but getting this book done became top priority for me. I went back to my plan for this book... not overthinking things. I clipped patterned papers to anything left without a photo and swapped out the embellishment with one that matched the subject of the page. I kept things super simple again and picked a kit to work with for the whole book, Holly Days by Sahlin Studio...

ChristmasinJulyTLP_2.png

And that's it! This plan kept things simple and focused for me and I was able to get (most of) it done in no time flat! A quick trip to visit my parents last week messed up my flow a bit, but having a plan is going to make it really easy to catch back up!

Have you ever gone back to DYD a previous Christmas? If so... what tips and tricks helped you get those pages done?

(And if you want to play along... enter the challenge here!)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    G.J., cfile, A-M and 1 other person like this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Thanks for the tutorial! Your collection of books is so pretty! I always love seeing your DYD pages also.

G.J. likes this.
  3. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Love your collection books, and is great when you have enough seasonal photos, unfortunately I'm surrounded by people whom aren't interested in Christmas and not in photography, actually either in social media, although I'm a Christmas junkie, so my photos would be only about all my Christmas decoration and that's all, lol, so there's also not so much to journal about it.

4. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Thank you so much Monica!

You can still make a DYD book with your decorations! One of my books in my photo at the top is basically all photos with nothing more than one line descriptions. You could do a book about your decorations with no journaling, or journaling about where you got the item and why you like it :-)

G.J. and umyesh like this.
  5. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

That's a great idea, I really like it, thank you so much for the tip dear Tracie :) Have a wonderful weekend my dear