Alpha & Font Makeovers with Styles | Summer School 2021: Week 1 LANGUAGE ARTS CLASS

Discussion in 'Summer School 2021' started by bellbird, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

This is a challenge point for me, as I don't really like to use alphas at all. If you look at my gallery, very few have alphas as my title or as an element. Most of the time, I use a word art from the kit rather than the alpha. However, when I DO use the alpha, I like to drop shadow and pile the letters on top overlapping each other.

This is one of my favorite examples of what I mean:
    [​IMG]

I used the Life is: Feeling Grateful alpha
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/Life-is-Feeling-Grateful-kit.html

Cherylndesigns, wvsandy and bellbird like this.
  2. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

Isn't this too cute!!! The jelly styles are awesome!
    folder-4292578007.jpg

folder-4292578007.jpg

bellbird and Teri like this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh man! I love all the alphas and love to use new ones on every page! :giggle I also love the versatility of styles, so that I can just type out my title and click a button and it's all fancy. Ha ha! There's one that I got in the spring and have used entirely too much, but I LOVE it! I especially love that you can edit the colors to match any kit you're using:

[​IMG]

I didn't even think to use this on alphas, until my scrapping friend did on one of her pages and I loved it! I used it here (I used it on the word Devos to match the currently element that I did not make):

[​IMG]

jenn mccabe and bellbird like this.
  4. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

bellbird likes this.
  5. jam-on-toast

jam-on-toast Well-Known Member

I don't like using Aphas - placing each letter takes too much time, especially if I want to change title/font etc... I use Affinity Designer so many of the styles and actions on sale here at TLP don't work for me, but there are some that came with the software and more that are available if one were to look a little harder - metal, grunge, textures - applying them to fonts is fun and is something I do often.

G.J., bellbird and Angela Toucan like this.
  6. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Sometimes I buy alphas separately, but usually I use an alpha that comes with a kit, in case that I must work with them, but I prefer use word art included with the kit or fonts. I'm using GIMP and I haven't find the way to use styles, so I don't buy styles and the ones included in bundles are without using.

bellbird likes this.
  7. sberkan

sberkan Says "yes" to new adventures...

I love both alphas & styles! Lately I've been combining a lot of alphas with fonts & styles to make my page titles. These two alphas are my go to and are so versatile! I love that PRD's come in multiple colours and the white stamp is so easy to recolour. I use an older coloured metal style by Mommyish a lot and I always shadow with One Little Bird's Shadow Like Me styles.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bellbird likes this.
  8. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I'll be the first to admit - I get a little lazy when it comes to alphas. But my gosh, they add some WOW! power to a layout.

One of my all time favs is the super shadowed collection by Paula Kesselring White Alpha 3D

I used it for my siggy awhile back and my Dream layout.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am also a fan of alphas that are in the ABR form too! Brushes are awesome and can be used is such creative ways.
    Rachel Jefferies Utterly and Completely
    [​IMG]

Fear Not Messy Alpha Stamps
    [​IMG]

Cherylndesigns and bellbird like this.
  9. Annsofie

Annsofie Crime Books & Cozy Nooks

bellbird and cfile like this.
  10. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

This is worse than a font thread. I keep finding great alphas that somehow I don't have yet. :dancebun

sberkan, Nemla, bellbird and 2 others like this.
  11. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

:giggle:rollin

bellbird likes this.
  12. FL-Karen

FL-Karen Well-Known Member

I think alphas are so cool and that it can make or break a layout but can get same focal point movement with fonts. However, even though I have a stash of alphas from TLP and close to two hundred of CU alphas that I either purchased or created as a designer a few years back. Now, I usually start with fonts and add paper with a slight shadow. Maybe I'm too lazy to sort through all those alphas, LOL. Yep - I think I'll stick with that...

Actually I do have a few favorite alphas from here that I picked up lately!!
    Say Cheese 2016 by PRD I think I'm in love with that yellow.... LOL
    And, the Itsy Bitsy Alpha (V2) by AWolf. Really, really love the metal round ones!! Speaking about the round ones... I''m absolutely in love with Paula's typewriter keys v1 and v2 but I don't see them in the store.

Just noticed last night that AWolf as a few versions options I have to go check out! Why do I do that to myself?!?! LOL

bellbird likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

:hehe I totally know what you mean. I know from your challenge page you have quite the alpha stash & I hope this week's challenge gave everyone an opportunity to really look at what they have & put it to some use ( it gave me that chance anyway:innocent)

wvsandy likes this.
  14. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I hardly ever use alphabets--there's something about opening and placing (or worse, cutting out and then placing) all those files that I just don't enjoy at all. As soon as I learned how to apply styles to fonts, I was done with alphas! Here are some of my favorite styles for titles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jenn mccabe and wvsandy like this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'll come back & reply to everything but I think they are in store & currently on sale - are these the ones you mean like in Christa's page?
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/Typewriter-Alpha-1-and-2.html
    [​IMG]

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i know what you mean about yellow! it's just instantly uplifting! And i have that Itsy Bitsy alpha from way back in 2013 when it was part of the BYOC - it is a great value pack with such a cute mix of alphas in it (the little aqua stamped wood blocks are my fave in that pack :))

17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

yep, this has totally become a wishlist filling, enabling thread - not sure i can ever have enough wood veneer or glittery goodness - such a perfect name :giggle

rach3975 and littlekiwi like this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i love how REAL these look too, especially with the wonky placement in the preview!

Annsofie likes this.
  19. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I know…..I’m trying to not be tempted….it’s not working all that well so far.

20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I love them too, they make titles instantly pop! Paula's is awesome and i know Just Jaimee and Allison have ones that have that same cool dimensional look, let me see if i can find them
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    i'm not sure if there's more like this but they're some of my faves along with Paula's too!
    You are one of the Queens of Brushwork! Awesome examples - that crown in your current siggy is totally appropriate, can i what is the font/alpha in your current siggy? did you add the yellow/ bling or is it part of the alpha?