Alpha & Font Makeovers with Styles | Summer School 2021: Week 1 LANGUAGE ARTS CLASS

Discussion in 'Summer School 2021' started by bellbird, Jul 3, 2021.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Welcome to our Summer School Series and this week our class focus is Language Arts!
    This week we will talk about Alphas, Fonts, Papers, and Styles - using all of these for titles and journaling - and I hope you'll also join me for a challenge where we use alphas as an element in page design later this week.
    Plus all of these are 30% off this week!

Everybody's scrapping process is different and even for me, each page can be different. Sometimes I can start with a title in mind, sometimes I see wordart that I instantly want as a title and sometimes I'm getting to the end of my page and then realise I haven't even thought about a title.

The range of alphas in the store is pretty amazing, check them out here - from flat and stampy to eye-popping 3D and everything in between. The Alpha category is also helpfully sorted into several sub-categories if you are not quite sure what alpha you are looking for.
    There are really versatile alphas that could work with every subject you scrap and more specific themed ones.
    And of course if like me your titles tend to be unique, weird or just use different spelling to traditional wordart, it's great to be able to have an original, custom title with the spelling I want using the alpha of my choice or if i'm feeling a bit lazier, using one of the basic fonts in my program that can be given a quick makeover with Photoshop/ PhotoShop Elements Styles.

What are Styles?
    • Basically they are preset visual effects that can transform text, shapes, whatever shape or layer they are applied to and they are used in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.
    • There are styles for every colour and finish you can imagine!
    • My favourites are usually metallic or glittery, give layers a textured imperfect stamped effect or a wood finish.
    • They're a little bit hidden in the store, under Photoshop Tools where the asterisk is, but you can go straight to the Styles section by clicking here.
    Screenshot--storeStyles700px.jpg
    Styles are a great investment because they can make stretch your alpha and font stash and give some old ones a fresh new look and new lease on life with just a single click! It doesn't get much easier than that!

Below is a quick how-to guide with screenshots for loading and using Styles. (I'm using Photoshop CS6. Exact steps & my workspace may be a little different to yours or other versions of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements).

This is the before and after of the alpha I want to use for my page today. The original alpha has a light woodgrain finish from a retired kit by Mommyish called Spice Spice Baby that you might have in your stash. I love the chunky style of the letters but I wanted it to be a bit more sparkly and less wooden to fit my page, just a bit different and used Mommyish's Holographic Stickers Style Pack that I was very excited to see released to make that alpha just how I want!

styles-demo800px.jpg
    [​IMG]
    CU - Stylin' 323 - Holographic Sticker Styles

The pink versions use different coordinating styles included in a BYOC pack from May 2020, also by Mommyish and show how styles can really give any alpha, font or layer a real make over!
    [​IMG]
    May 2020 BYOC Layer Styles

So here is how to load & use styles that you may have bought if you are new to them.

Screenshot-2021-07-04-1-right-click-800px-.jpg

Screenshot-2021-07-04-2-styles-palette-800px.jpg

Screenshot-2021-07-04-3-biggerthumbs800px.jpg

Screenshot-2021-07-04-4asl800px.jpg

Screenshot-2021-07-04-5applystyle800px.jpg

Screenshot-2021-07-04-6clickstyle-alt800px.jpg

It's one of those things that looks complicated in many steps, but is quite quick after the first or second times and when you are comfortable with your PS/PSE workspace
    And here's my finished page. I used the same Holographic Stickers Style over the dreamcatcher element from Allison Pennington's Dreamweaver collab after making a white base for it to give it the sparkly sticker treatment like the alpha.
    TIP: Using the same style over pieces from different kits can give them a more cohesive look and the viewer will just think those pieces are meant to go together! Styles are definitely a way to stretch your stash!

[​IMG]
    credits: Scrapping With Liz: https://the-lilypad.com/store/Magical-Word-Digital-Scrapbook-Templates.html
    Allison Pennington & Studio Basic: https://the-lilypad.com/store/Dreamweaver.html
    Mommyish : https://the-lilypad.com/store/Stylin-323-holographic-stickers.html
    with Spice, Spice Baby (elements & alpha - retired)
    Paula Kesselring: https://the-lilypad.com/store/Bliss-Gesso.html
    Designs by Soco & Anita Designs: https://the-lilypad.com/store/One-More-Chapter-Elements.html
    Valorie Wibbens: https://the-lilypad.com/store/Bibliophile.html

• Do you have a favourite versatile 'go-to' alpha or a favourite themed alpha from TLP?
    • Do you have a favourite way to change up the look alphas?
    • Do you use Styles much and have a fave? (or any questions about them?)
    Link us up so we can see and feel free to ask any related questions in this thread! If I'm not sure of the answer, I'll try to find out for you.

See you again soon for this week's challenge!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    G.J., cfile, Karen and 6 others like this.
  2. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Dalis, bellbird and umyesh like this.
  3. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

Do you have a favourite versatile 'go-to' alpha or a favourite themed alpha from TLP? Yes! I love all of CD's alphas but especially Teeny Type Too.
    [​IMG]

Do you have a favourite way to change up the look alphas? I sometimes add color overlays, especially on stamp/brush style alphas.

Do you use Styles much and have a fave? I don't use them a lot, but I'm loving the holographic style by Mommyish that you linked above! Her enamel styles and paper styles are really nice too.

Dalis, A-M, bellbird and 1 other person like this.
  4. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

jessgriffin, Teri, wvsandy and 4 others like this.
  5. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

PSE. To load styles in earlier PSE software simply double click on the file in the kit. Or click once and then open (in the kit)..... it will then be in your styles menu.
    More recent PSE (I think pse 12 and up ) go to Styles in PSE it self. On the top right you have the option dropdown menu. Click it and choose load styles. It will (annoyingly) take you to the last style you loaded. Ignore that and find the kit with the style you want to use, click once on the style,and then choose load. It will now be in your styles menu in PSE.

Karen and bellbird like this.
  6. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Fave go to basic alpha is

[​IMG]

In saying that I’m a huge alpha lover…..umm hoarder particularly of Allison’s and Pink Reptile Designs….they seem to be my go to alpha designers.

I have styles as well but don’t tend to use them outside of shadow styles

7. ad77

ad77 Well-Known Member

I love alphas, but not using them often. Sometimes I´d like to be native english speaker just for that reason:-). Quite often when creating story pages for family album I want to use an alpha which perfectly fits to page - but of course it hasn´t all letters (with diacritics) I need... So what then - change the title to some word(s) without diacritics (sometimes hard to find) or - and this is my usual way - use some bold font and play with it using styles etc.

A-M likes this.
  8. mywisecrafts

mywisecrafts Pollywog

Sometimes I don’t use alphas and just use fonts and emboss them and clip papers to them.

9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

that sounds so much easier! i think the newer Photoshop CC has the ability to 'stack styles' as well and apply a few presets at once which is something that for now, i'm fine with not being able to do but it might come in handy more for designers

Nemla likes this.
  10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i love the multiple variations Allison and some of the other designers include so words with repeat letters in stampy alphas like this don't look identical and that outline-y bit gives this such a cool 'i really stamped it and i pushed too hard because that's totally how my single letter stamping comes out in real life' stamp effect!

littlekiwi likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

that bent and stitched look is so cool and i love how many 'extras' Kim always includes (and half the extra letters i have no idea what they are but i imagine they are quite useful for international scrappers)

umyesh likes this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

wow i didn't realise you weren't a native english speaker, you communicate perfectly to me! can i ask what your native language is? i imagine it would be difficult to find some wordart in other languages - I'm pretty sure NBK Designs has German and French versions regularly in some of her wordart packs and Soco also has the French sometimes

13. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I love choosing/buying alphas for the shape of the letters and then I pile on the styles!

jessgriffin likes this.
  14. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I love alphas and buy quite a few. The problem is that if I store the alpha with the kit it was designed for then I lose it for everyday. I am working to tag alphas so I can find them again as I'm working. What do you do with kit alphas?

15. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I don't buy alphas separately but will use an alpha that comes with a kit at times. I am more of a make my own titles from a font and slap a paper on it.

As for styles, I don't use them because my software does not support them. So I tend to ignore any discussion on styles.

16. ad77

ad77 Well-Known Member

I´m pleased that´s understandable, sometimes I´m not sure and I know it´s not grammatically correct... I'm used to using English only passively (technical terms mainly) so I take this as an exercise also:-). My native language is Czech - our full alphabet has 42 characters (26 in the basic set (as in English) + letters with diacritics).

wvsandy, jessgriffin and Karen like this.
  17. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I can't use the styles either.
    I love using alphas, but also like to crop papers to words created with a font for quick and easy custom titles. A Bevel fx helps give them a 3D look.

wvsandy and Nemla like this.
  18. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

19. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Do you have a favourite versatile 'go-to' alpha or a favourite themed alpha from TLP?

I've used @mirjam 's Dog-Eared Alpha more than once. I love how it looks on a layout! I have to admit that I tend to use premade word art a lot of times for my title, and I need to use my alphas more!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you have a favourite way to change up the look alphas?

Other than recoloring, I don't often change an alpha.

Do you use Styles much and have a fave? (or any questions about them?)

I use my drop shadow styles on every layout!

[​IMG]

G.J., jessgriffin and HeatherB like this.
  20. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I quite often used the burn brush on the edges of the letters to give them a puffy look. But just recently I learned something that I like even better and is much easier to do! I used it on my latest layout posted to the gallery.

Angela Toucan and HeatherB like this.