July Photography Challenge

Discussion in 'July 2021 Challenges' started by FarrahJobling, Jun 23, 2021.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

July 2021 Photography Challenge

Are you a logophile? How about a philologos? Or maybe even a logomaniac? If you don’t have a clue what I’m saying, then you probably aren’t any of them. I just happened to be all three. Logophile, philologos and logomaniac all have the same meaning. They all mean “lover of words.”

One of my favorite things to do is to learn new and unusual words, often in other languages, that have very complex meanings. What might take a whole sentence to define something in English, might have a single word in another language. One of my favorite such words is Petrichor, meaning "the earthy smell in the air after it has been raining". I also sometimes feel a bit of schadenfreude when I know someone deserves it. For example, if someone cuts me off in a parking lot to get a closer spot, only to lose it at the last minute. Shadenfreude it the "pleasure derived from someone else’s misfortune".

I also happen to be a photophile - lover of photography...and many other examples of such words. In fact, I especially love combining photos with words and their definitions.

July’s Photography Challenge is based on this concept. I challenge you to take a photo and add an unusual word with it’s definition. Create a Layout around your photo/word combination. Please Note...the word and it’s definition should be placed ON the photo itself....as in the inspiration here. Any word is acceptable.

Click for more info:
    https://iamaileen.com/unusual-trave...-ubbtYi4zTdsi1xYdUy7UqUFcKZFLKU4QjLTE#respond

https://www.pinterest.com/farrah_jobling/word/_tools/more-ideas/?ideas_referrer=2

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=unusual words and meanings&rs=typed&term_meta[]=unusual words and meanings|typed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember our monthly challenge rules:

Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then linked to the July Challenge Layouts thread so it can be tracked, and to this thread.

The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a $50 gift certificate from the Lilypad! The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month; the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).​

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    cinna, Thuria, bcnatty and 1 other person like this.
  2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    This was a fun and unique take on a challenge.

Iowan and FarrahJobling like this.
  3. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Nope, not any of those, LOL!!!:lol

4. FL-Karen

FL-Karen Well-Known Member

Thank you @FarrahJobling for hosting this month's challenge. This was a fun one!! Now, I need to go back and create a folder on Pinterest and start pinning more of those! Here is my layout.

[​IMG]

Thuria and Iowan like this.
  5. jam-on-toast

jam-on-toast Well-Known Member

6. FarrahJobling

Yes please...I would love to encourage a new photo....but I understand if you use an older one.

7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

What a fantastic challenge! I'll enjoy following this and seeing what words are used. I am a "photophile" but not so much the other two :)

FarrahJobling likes this.
  8. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

9. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Great Challenge, thanks Farrah!! Any excuse to take a photo of my library corner is a winner to me :giggle.
    While taking the photo I happened to notice that there is a gap on the top shelf!! Can't have that!! Bookdepository, here I come :giggle

Here is my page :D
    [​IMG]

10. ad77

ad77 Well-Known Member

11. zinzilah

zinzilah One step at a time

12. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

I was stumped at first and didn't think I could do this one, but my art (in this case, my mindless diamond art) takes me away where nothing can intrude. Digital art does the same but I couldn't decide how to photograph that. :circles
    [​IMG]

trekmom and FarrahJobling like this.
  13. FarrahJobling

Thanks...just started following....so funny!

Vrielinkie likes this.
  14. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Sorry Farrah, my photo is old. When I saw this awesome challenge I knew what I wanted to create - but I'm simply not going to get out to a lake, sea or ocean any time soon.

[​IMG]

LoveItScrapIt, trekmom and Thuria like this.
  15. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

Well I definitely wondered where you were headed with that description... this will take some thought!

16. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

I am also a Logophile - the more unusual the better!!
    Here's my page:
    [​IMG]

trekmom likes this.
  17. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

A photo while we were waiting for the train in Antwerp Central ...

[​IMG]

trekmom and Thuria like this.
  18. Roxana

Roxana Bananas for radishes

19. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

What a fun -- and unique -- challenge!

[​IMG]

trekmom likes this.
  20. wvufan04

wvufan04 Well-Known Member

Oh this is such a good challenge - it got me thinking! And I think I'm going to challenge my kids to find unusual words and do something similar while we take a road trip so maybe some of the car time spent on phones will be on something mind stretching lol.

[​IMG]

trekmom and Thuria like this.