Krav Maga - Pad Patter | 6.28.21

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Jun 27, 2021.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I have NEVER EVER EVER heard of Krav Maga....until yesterday......and now I've heard it twice in 2 days. It has come up in 2 completely different contexts....and both times I had to look it up.....WTW?

Krav Maga is a military self-defence and fighting system developed for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) and Israeli security forces derived from a combination of techniques sourced from Boxing, Wrestling, Judo, Aikido, and Karate. Krav Maga is known for its focus on real-world situations and its extreme efficiency. It was derived from the street-fighting experience of Hungarian-Israeli martial artist Imi Lichtenfeld, who made use of his training as a boxer and wrestler, while defending the Jewish quarter against fascist groups in Bratislava, Czechoslovakia, during the mid-to-late 1930s. In the late 1940s, after his aliyah to Mandatory Palestine, he began to provide lessons on combat training to what was to become the IDF.

OK...so hard core self defense....and now I want to take a class....but.....I'm kind of a jazzer maga kind of gal.......

Which brings me to my point.....I do NOT exercise. I'm not coordinated and I'm not athletic and I'm...well....let's face it....fat! SOoooooo....I have been trying to get my groove move on and I got a fitbit for my birthday and I joined a pickleball group for some aerobic type fun.

Pickleball is a paddleball sport (similar to a racket sport) that combines elements of badminton, table tennis, and tennis. Two or four players use solid paddles made of wood or composite materials to hit a perforated polymer ball, much like a wiffle ball, with 26-40 round holes, over a net. The sport shares features of other racket sports: the dimensions and layout of a badminton court, and a net and rules somewhat similar to tennis, with several modifications.

Soooo...to break it down...it's no where near the hard core Krav Maga....but it's sooo fun! I might be the youngest person in the group and I kinda suck...but I love that it's a casual fun way to get in some exercise.

now......to the frustrating part......I've been trying to get Mike to go for over a year, since he's retired and can go anytime...and even though he is within the ideal age range...he has declined my invite to participate. TMI about my life- but he complains about my physical shape and yet, here is something we could do together that is sooo fun and so laid back and yet....exercise. If he really wanted to encourage physical activity, here is his chance, but he no. Sorry to whine and complain....but anyways...Pad Patter is is a fun convo...sooooo.....

What's your favorite physical activity?

umyesh likes this.
  2. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Very short answer Swimming.....

3. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I wish I enjoyed exercise. I'm watching this thread with much interest as maybe it will ring a bell for me to get moving with something I'll like!

4. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I love to ice skate, I need to get back to it, esp. since I finally broke down and replaced my 40+ year old skate boots and blades two years old. I'm also looking at a ballet & stretch class that's being offered through my county's rec center, but I'm waiting until we don't have to mask up anymore ...

5. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I developed serious knee problems at age 12 and I don't like swimming, so I never really got into any sports. A moderately brisk walk is about the most I can handle. I do enjoy going around the trail at the park across the street, but I don't go very often. Pickleball sounds fun though! :-)

I'd heard of Krav Maga before, but funnily enough it came up yesterday for me. I just started binge watching Happy Endings and there's an episode about it! And there's a corresponding Jazzercise-ish tie-in in that episode as well! :-)

FarrahJobling likes this.
  6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Well I bashed the middle toe on my right foot last week, it swelled immediately and was so sore, I took it easy and then later that day decided I had probably broken or fractured it. Swelling and bruising aside it looked just like googled images of broken toes. Nothing to do now but rest it and take it easy - that's got to get me out of walking for a few more weeks...?

7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@FarrahJobling the pickleball sounds like fun. I've heard of that but not seen it. It's not something anyone does around here. I used to jog and especially grew to love jogging with Taz but now with chronic back pain (arthritis, bulging disks, spurring), I can't ever jog again, too much impact on my spine. I want to start swimming and get back into weight lifting but have to be careful how I do it. I walk a lot with the dogs but I don't really count that as exercise unless I'm going uphill. So for now, minimal exercise but hopefully in the fall my back will be stable enough to get a bit of exercise in. It sucks because it means I have to watch what I eat b/c I don't get to burn off the calories like I used to. But, silver lining, my back doesn't hurt as much as the big flare last year so I'm happy for that.

8. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Swimming, biking, walking, hiking, but my favorite right now is kayaking. It's like hiking for your arms. If I could do it more often, my arms might firm up.

9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Oh, I used to exercise. I never LOVED it, but I could do it. I used to play at playing tennis. I never really understood everything, but I enjoyed to batting the ball around. I used to do step aerobics, fast walking, Curves circuit training, etc. They say you don't know what you've got until it's gone, and that's totally true with exercise. I didn't realize what a gift it was until I couldn't do it anymore. Some things I can still technically do, but I end up incapacitated for days and sometimes weeks. Like going to beach, gulf side. Holding your own against the waves and/or getting knocked down and having to get back up . . . I just don't have it in me anymore. It's so sad. I'm hoping in the next few years we'll be able to move to a house that has a pool so I can get in there and swim.

LivyBug likes this.
  10. Memaw2Wm

I used to love being in the ocean, but I can't take the waves for long anymore ... esp. when I get knocked down over and over. My poor grandson just can't understand why I don't enjoy it like he does ...

gonewiththewind likes this.
  11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I totally get it. I'm sorry!

12. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

I like swimming, but we don't have a pool nor I have been to the beach/river since 2019.

Lately I've been getting in some walks with our dog, but usually just up and down our road. I took her for a walk the other day to play some Pokémon Go lol.

I never liked PE in school and usually wasn't very good. I did soccer for a season and gymnastic for a couple years, but was a little late joining both to catch up with the other kids. I liked golf when we did that in PE, or playing basketball (just Horse games usually) when we had a hoop at home.

13. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I used to love bike riding, until a friend of mine said that she would never bike ride the path I used since it was secluded. It kind of freaked me out and I pretty much quit completely at that point. I was about sixteen, so school and a job were getting in the way anyway, but I never went back to it.

In college, I used to go to an aerobic class that was sporadically offered (taught by another student) and I enjoyed that. But I haven't done anything since then.

A year ago, we adopted a pair of puppies, and unevenly (if it's not too warm, too cold, too wet, or we're too tired), my daughter and I will walk them around the neighborhood. She had a challenging year, last year, and we didn't go much the last semester of school. We're talking of picking it up again, but her AP classes for next year have summer assignments, and we haven't made it out yet.

I'd like to do something -- besides walk the dogs down the hill and back up again six times a day -- but I haven't figured out what yet.

14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

i walk every day, weather permitting. I've been walking for about 5 years now and really enjoy being outdoors. I've walked in some fairly inclement weather, because I have a 4 legged friend who depend on me for her exercise, too.

I love core strength training, I've practiced Callanetics for MANY years - it was the precursor to Palates, just to give you an idea of what kind of workout it is. I also studied ballet classes for years - I'm a big believer in muscle control. I've also studied Tai Chi. I'm not into sweating.

15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Walking!!! Last year my DD and I were supposed to take an international trip to Down Under with the expectation we would be walking up to 5 miles a day. So back in 2019 I started walking so I would be used to that and not be exhausted the entire trip. My goal is 10,000 steps a day, which for me is close to 4.5 miles. I lost my original walking 4-legged friend in January, but recently got a new, younger, energy-filled 4-legged friend to keep me company -- okay the truth is, if I don't walk him he poops in the house, so "motivation".

BTW - we have a TLP Fitbit Workweek challenge group. Come join us if you like, we have room for a few more.

16. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Krav Maga - There's a place a couple of miles from me that teaches this. My daughters and I have taken self-defense classes there but never Krav Maga.

Pickleball - I have a friend who has gotten me to play a couple of times. I'm SOOOO bad at it. LOL. I do like physical activity but I'm so bad at sports.

For exercise I enjoy running. I do try to do core and weights a couple of days a week. I use P90X3 videos for those.

17. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I love hiking, swimming, and lifting. I used to be a hard-core weightlifting fanatic, and would sure love to get back to that. Maybe someday. And I loved Tae-Bo back in the day.
    I've have really been wanting to try pickleball!
    I've never heard of Krav Maga, but it sounds awesome!!

18. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

I absolutely love racquetball but we don’t live close to any courts since we moved. Now I walk and listen to podcasts. The podcasts occupy my mind so I don’t realize I’m exercising. I always feel so much better after a nice 30 min walk. Good luck finding something that works for you.

19. Memaw2Wm

Part of aging, lol!!! I can still stand in the shallows and I enjoy that. Chase just wants me to come out chest+ deep with him. Um, no thanks buddy. :)

gonewiththewind likes this.
  20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I recently started watching Happy Endings too! I'd never heard of it before, but it's nice that they are short episodes and funny characters. I haven't gotten to the Krav Maga episode yet though. Lol.

KimJ likes this.