Can we talk about this?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Kat, Jun 6, 2021.

1. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

From what I saw, there is also a "basic" free plan but I couldn't find any info about what is included in it or if there are limitations. It might just be for people to try it as in a trial.

I'm still not sold on any online option, especially BB since it disrupted my internet connection if it was running so having to limit when it backed up. What I'm doing now is working for me so I'll stick with it. But I was curious about iDrive since I had never heard of it.

bestcee likes this.
  2. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I was curious too but I am super skeptical of any of the online options really.

3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I admit I'm curious why you're skeptical. #NosyNellie :)

I'm a big fan of the 3-2-1 Rule. While I don't consider BB my most important or most comprehensive backup, it gives me peace of mind, which I'm willing to pay $60/year for. But perhaps an option for you might be to buy a couple (big) EHDs and back up whatever you want and then keep those EHDs off-site. That way if something happens at home, those off-site backups should be okay. But the issue will be remembering to back them up regularly, which isn't my strong suit--which is why BB works for me. BB (as well as other cloud companies, I'm sure) routinely scans my desktop for file changes. I don't have to worry about setting aside time to back up, which is nice.

I'm not trying to make you sign up for the cloud, I swear lol! This is just my experience and reasons for why it's a part of my plan.

4. Kat

I've become skeptical of a lot over the last several years. In these cases, I don't like the way we are tracked, details are gathered on every little thing and kept. I think, these are all my personal photos, documents, data and they should be private. They really aren't even now but I especially wonder if I upload them to the cloud. Even if the company is trustworthy, hackers are incredibly smart and stealing data for ransom at a more alarming rate than ever. Digital terrorists. A local school was targeted and they demanded a ransom to keep employee information secure. In a digital world we give away all the goods and most of the time we have no idea how much we have handed right over to them.

Tree City and HavaDrPepper like this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

I'm not Kat but my reasoning for being unsure these days relates to the fact that my internet connection was constantly being disrupted. This went on for several years and I had many visits from the ISP (which is local with techs that live right here in the community) and a couple new modems trying to trouble shoot the problems. 6 months in they did find that their line was the issue since some squirrels had chewed through the covering and exposed the wire to the elements which caused water to fry it after a freeze and quick thaw. But even after that was fixed I still had connection issues for a long time. I know you've heard this all before but only when my computer got fried during a power outage and I was without BB (which I then found had not run for several weeks even though I had it on a continuous backup schedule) I was no longer having internet connection issues. When I got the new computer and put BB back on it, the connection issues started happening again. Since I dropped BB I have had no major connection issues for the last 2 years. Pretty strong evidence for me.

So that makes me wary of any online backup, not just BB.

6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I get that. I don't have BB back up certain folders because of that reason. Could there be a way a hacker uses BB to still peek into those folders on my computer even though I tell BB not to back them up? Probably. But it's easier for hackers to simply gain access to my info in other ways lol. I found out our HOA has an excel spreadsheet with every homeowner's name, address, phone number, and email address. It's in the cloud so the Board can grab it and reach out to people when necessary. So who the heck knows where all that info is (besides in the Google cloud and on Board members' computers)?! Sigh. Anyway, before I sound (more) paranoid, I'll stop.

@HavaDrPepper I check BB every once in awhile (like every two weeks) to make sure it's working correctly. As I said, it doesn't back up everything but it better back up what I tell it to! (I don't have private docs on it, like stuff with my home...but those are just records I keep in case I need them quickly. The state has a record of my home purchase lol so it's not like I even "need" these digital copies.) Your BB/internet issues still confound me! It must have been so frustrating. I wonder if you were secretly (or rather, incorrectly) throttled? IDK. I am NOT an internet expert but I do wonder about what was going on.

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Not to add to your paranoia, but hospitals have been targeted too. Including all the patient information. My husbands hospital was the target of a ransom attack. It was so frustrating!

Kat likes this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

I even asked the ISP about that (love that it is local and not a huge conglomerate) and they said that they do not throttle anybody. They were honestly as confounded about it as I was. And, I had used BB for quite a few years before this happened with no issues. At first I thought it might have been the computer that got fried that was the issue but when it happened with the new one, I knew it wasn't.

I also found out when that computer got fried that the WD EHD backup I had also been using hadn't worked for several weeks as well. I found that I did lose a couple of kits purchased from here on NSD weekend that I had not unzipped yet but was able to get them redownloaded (computer got fried during a power outage during a tornado warning we had Memorial Day). And, luckily I had not done any scrapping or purchasing for about a week before the computer died so didn't lose anything there. Pretty much everything was scattered on several EHD's so that's why I did the huge organizing task a year ago and now everything is on my main computer as well as 3 EHD's. And, I check the WD EHD backup every week to make sure it is still working right. Learned my lesson about that!

Tree City likes this.
  9. Kat

This is basically where this thread was born b/c I am doing the same thing right now. Everything is everywhere, and I do have three copies of most of the important stuff but if I needed to find something, it's not easy. I have spent hours upon hours renaming files, deleting, organizing and I am not even 10% of the way done. If I had less of a footprint then I wouldn't spend this much time on it. Hence the whole thread, lol.

Tree City likes this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

Yeah @Kat I know what you are going through. I don't have nearly the GB that you have but it still took me over a month. I am retired so I could devote as much or little time to it that I felt like on a daily basis.

Heck I even set up a spreadsheet that I tracked the names of folders and the size of each of the folders after I "thought" I was done to see how they matched up. Another couple of weeks was spent really digging down to make sure each folder matched. This also is a record of what is on each EHD since one is small and I couldn't put everything on it. I made sure the most used stuff was in at least 3 different places. This spreadsheet also showed me where I needed to make folder name changes so that everything is consistent across all EHD's. I found I had kits and layouts in multiple places so I cleaned that up and that helped free up some space. I had 1 layout that showed up in 5 different folders. My layer files for my layouts average about 50 to 60 MB each so just getting rid of the 4 extra gave me over 200 MB.

It was well worth my time to do it though even though it was a chore and frustrating at times. The sense of relief when I was done was awesome. It also took my mind off of COVID since I did this in May/June of 2020.

Tree City likes this.
  11. Kat

Oh I know, it's disturbing how easy they make it seem. We've been actively working to protect ourselves. We even had a credit card breach. Well, it happens about once a year, around the same time of year. This year it was Uber, they presented a fake card and used our zip code so super disturbing. Uber tried to force payment saying it was us, but we were like ummm Texas... not New York... come on now. Last year someone created a Sams account and ordered several thousand dollars of items.

So if we aren't already actively working to secure our data and protect ourselves, then we should be. We are putting some monitoring to watch for identity theft as well. You don't think it will happen to you but it can. Better to be prepared.

12. HavaDrPepper

I have identity theft protection as well. I get monthly updates as to whether my info has been seen out there and specific emails if needed. I do have to laugh because some are for website forums I might have visited 20 years ago and don't even have a record of my login!

A friend was telling me the other day that his cousin won't get the COVID vaccine since it puts a chip into you. He told his cousin that he was being tracked daily without the vaccine (that doesn't have a chip anyways). The cousin was pushing back and he said "you have a cell phone". BAM!

bestcee and Kat like this.
  13. Kat

oh I agree about the phones. Strangely a friend did confirm her husband has a spot in his arm from the shot and it holds a magnet. Super freaky if you ask me. Chip or not? I don't know but I'd be interested to hear why.

What identity theft protection do you have if you don't mind me asking? I've been researching the options but would love a recommendations. Oh I do have my name out there on forums from ages ago, I found one once and couldn't delete it. I wish now that I'd used a better alias verses basically my name, lol.