Pad Patter 4.12.2021 | Special super power?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Apr 12, 2021.

1. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Seriously ?? I didn't know you were into fibers, except for your felting. GOTTA SEE THEM!! I migrated to fiber/textiles about 3 years ago. :) UPDATE: thanks for the pics!!
    My "power" ?? I am ambidextrous, and I have a keen sense of time- I can guess the hour within 10 minutes. Drives hubster crazy, ha! And I can see the beauty or potential - visionary. And I can smell things waaaaay before others. Sometimes that's great, as in baking.:nod But other times...not so much!:cornfused:groan

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My superpower is I'm a master at googling. It can be scary - like when I need an address or phone number and google away to find it. Or useful like finding sources for a paper, or random bits of information. Or finding scrapbook kits (@gonewiththewind ) and tutorials.

I also know random trivia. I love rabbit holes, and will discover the craziest things, and remember them.

QuiltyMom, jk703, AJK and 1 other person like this.
  3. Cinzia

Cinzia Well-Known Member

Finding out stuff by accident. Cheating boyfriends, lying colleagues, somehow I think that it is less that 6 degrees of separation and not sure if it is a blessing or a curse ... what the eyes don't see the heart doesn't grieve over.

QuiltyMom, jk703, Nemla and 1 other person like this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

So grateful for that ability!

bestcee likes this.
  5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

"Man Eyes" :rollin:rofl:rofl

jk703 likes this.
  6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

SWOON... gorgeous projects jan!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  7. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

unlike @bestcee My superpower is that I let Tony do all the googling ( is that a word ) :giggle (know when you are beat, is a special power too )
    But I guess my real superpower is the ability to be still , to regroup , to see things "from the top down " as my Grandma used to say. OH and to spot a con... (man or deal ) used to come in handy when we had the shop. :yup
    Side remark ; @QuiltyMom Jan that is just fantastic !

8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

You are so talented! That neckerchief is stunning! I'm curious about the needle felting. That hedgehog is cute!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Aw, I thought we were going to talk about powers we WISH we had. As I'm getting very close to needing glasses, I'm wishing for perfect vision AND the ability to snap a photograph just by thinking about it. :D

The first actual power I can think of is that when my kids can't find something I usually can. :D

QuiltyMom, bestcee and AJK like this.
  10. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@QuiltyMom

OH MY. I finally went back and read your post. WOW- the wardrobe-:heartlub:heartlub always wanted to do that! We used to live in Spartanburg, SC, where they have "Charles Dickens Weekend" every December. Townspeople dress in 18th century clothing and have vignettes outside or inside stores, with carolers, spinners, cobblers, and hot chocolate with biscuits. You'd love it. I bought a pattern for our costumes, then we moved, LOL!
    The nest :heartslub:heartsluband the embroidered neckerchief --- such patience and advanced skill you have!!!:yourock Superpower for sure!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm so boring. My super power is keeping my kids alive. :giggle I suppose I'd fall under the finding things and hearing thing too though. My husband is always amazed at what I can hear, but that's mostly because he worked at a hunt club when he was a teen and was too close to too many shotguns going off without hearing protection. Ooops!

Is collecting hobbies a superpower? I love to do that! :agree

JenEm, bellbird and QuiltyMom like this.
  12. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Awww, thank you! But I can’t do math to save my life! (I leave that part up to my husband... lol!)

Too bad you weren’t able to attend in costume! That would’ve been amazing. I get to Colonial Williamsburg a lot, and Mount Vernon is just 7 miles away, so I’ve places to wear it when I’m done. I’m also wanting to attend some Jane Austen Society events when they all start opening up again. I’ve been doing a lot online and Iran been so fun! We gotta do what we can to keep ourselves entertained these days!

13. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

My daughter calls me the baby whisperer. I’ve always been able to entertain and/or calm down crying babies.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  14. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

100% agree! especially things in the Fridge.

JenEm likes this.
  15. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Hmmm.....super power......I’m actually stumped.

Maybe my super power is the ability to whip out job applications on the regular.....let’s be honest, it’s not like I don’t get any practice!

My other superpower would be the ability to do academic referencing in my sleep pretty much (APA style). I was once told that my referencing was a “work of art”.

Another super power is the ability to pull together many different ideas and sources for research. That’s mainly cause I tend to choose more abstract topics to research for assignments based on my varied interests plus there is very little current research/data from New Zealand on disability and inclusion so I tend to have to look elsewhere (Australia, UK, Ireland, Canada and USA) to find literature of academic quality.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  16. QuiltyMom

I've loved reading all of these!! And "man eyes' ... that one made me laugh out loud!!

Thank you all for your kind comments on my things. It really does make me happy to work on them. It's my greatest stress relief, unless it's the knitted pineapple bag that I'm currently working on. It has not made me happy, but to quote Jason Nesmith on Galaxy Quest, "Never give up. Never Surrender."

Needle felting is a blast! In a nutshell: wool fiber had directional barbs on it, so when they interlock they catch and hold. Just think of that wool sweater you put in the washer & dryer. You can do dry felting (with needles) or wet felting (heat/moisture/pressure/soap). With needle felting you can sculpt the fibers into any shape you want, and even reinforce the sculptures with armatures, if needed.

To me, the best needle felting guru out there is Sara Renzilli of Sarafina Fiber Art. She has curated the most amazing collection of product and has crafted a library of felt-along's and tutorials that are all on her YouTube page. You need to watch some of her tutorials, even if you never felt anything in your life. She has the art down to a science and is an incredibly gifted teacher. She always says - What's the worst that could happen? It doesn't turn out? Well, it's just wool so make another one!

This is the mermaid I made last year, the largest thing I've made to date - she's about 36" long. It's a combination of wet and dry felting (the tail is wet felted), with a wire armature. It took about a month to do, but without her instruction I never would've been able to do it! She now hangs in my bathroom.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  17. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Wow! She is so beautiful!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i don't know if it's considered a super power but i can't remember the last time i was bored, like maybe in the 80's?! i have too many things to scrap, read, watch, go & do (ugh, chores) so my power is not getting bored (and then it's a source of major annoyance to me to hear others (let's just call them 'kids' and 'husband') saying they're bored when they've just walked past their bathroom with toothpaste in the sink, scrunchies and brushes all over the bench; the ironing pile or seed on the floor that needs sweeping up from the birds - even a blind person could see how there is a neverending to-do list

QuiltyMom likes this.
  19. QuiltyMom

I get you on that one!!!