Covid Vaccine

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dotcomkari, Apr 2, 2021.

1. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

@Tree City I have a scrapping friend that has worked on the COVID mRNA vaccines. There was a post/thread in our FB group about the vaccines and COVID in general and the conspiracy theorists were running rampant. Her one comment about it not being a "new" technology got so many likes that the others just quit talking about it.

Her life has pretty much been on hold for over a year. 12 to 16 hour days, 7 days a week. Needless to say she wasn't going to put up with any of the theories!

2. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

I got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine this week! I had arm soreness and have felt sleepy. Excited to get the second shot later this month (though not excited about potential side effects :P )! So glad to have been eligible and able to get the vaccine much earlier than I expected. Thank you scientists and health care workers! :)

cfile, bestcee, rach3975 and 6 others like this.
  3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I was getting a routine service tune up for my car in Feb - I met a guy there who wanted to talk the Covid Vac. I mostly listened to him. He was very opinionated and actually said some things that made another gentleman in the waiting room get up and leave for awhile. He was all over the place with regards to the Vac. I did finally confide that I worked in a hospital (the other gentleman who came back in heard this and said to me, "I lost a loved one due to Covid"- so the comments this guy was making were hurtful to others in the room). When I told him I got the Vac the first week it was available he said "oh now you're chipped by Bill Gates." But by the time I was done though ... he stopped me and said "I think you've convinced me to get the Vac".

What a whirlwind convo that was!

4. HavaDrPepper

@jenn mccabe The sad thing about the thread in our FB group is that one of the gals posting about getting the vaccine as soon as it was available to her had just lost her husband to COVID. They had been following all restrictions and he had even been working from home but somehow was exposed. He was in the hospital and doing better with the doctors talking about releasing him in 24 to 48 hours. He didn't live that long. They are in the 40's or early 50's. Another girl lost her father because of it in November but these gals were going on and on.

And, my uncle has told me that his lady friend's nephew and his girlfriend are against it because they are convinced she won't be able to have children because of it. They are both in their 20's and work in a local prison that has cases. Got to love the state of Ohio, they put out the stats on the prisons on a daily basis. Right now that prison has 8 staff currently positive, zero inmates positive but 10 waiting on test results. And, they have had 11 deaths (one of the smaller state prisons) in the 10 months since the first case there.

Unfortunately I do have some relatives that are against the vaccine. One even had the opportunity to get it before it opened to her age group because she works in the school system. She has said that she won't get it but then she is the one that had over 100 people to her daughter's graduation party at her house just days after Ohio ended the stay at home order. Needless to say I didn't go.

rach3975 and jenn mccabe like this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I got the text yesterday to come in today. I got my first vaccine. My arm is very sore but that’s about it. I took Tylenol and will get to bed a bit early.

bestcee, rach3975, Karen and 2 others like this.
  6. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Earlier this week, I posted a poll in a working moms group I'm part of to gauge vaccine interest. I got just under 300 responses. 4.4% said they were still deliberating on whether they are going to get the vaccine and 6.4% said they did not plan to get the vaccine ... 89.2% have either already received the vaccine (or are partially vaccinated waiting for another dose) or are eager to get it when they qualify and/or can find an appt. The demographic of the group is mostly educated, professional women, so I don't necessarily think it represents the US population as a whole.

7. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

So far I'm registered but don't have an appointment yet. DH has his appointment but not until May 4th. We're definitely lacking in the vaccine department around here!

8. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

My husband got his first Pfizer vaccine 8 days ago. His arm was sore and he took a long nap that afternoon. As for symptoms, that was it. I did ride with him and waited in the car while he went in to get vaccinated. I saw one lady dancing in the parking lot when her husband came out and heard numerous people cheering. I told my husband about it when he came out and noted that it's the ONLY time I have ever seen people so excited about getting a shot!

I am scheduled to get my first vaccine on Tuesday. I am both really excited and nervous. I really really hate needles (though I am tons better than I used to be) and I have had some weird reactions to medications and things used in surgeries in the past. Regardless, I am grateful to finally be starting the process of being vaccinated.

rach3975, jk703 and LynnG like this.
  9. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I am sorry you felt so ill @dotcomkari .
    I will get mine on WED Astra Zenica I think ( we can not choose here , only opt out if we do not want it) Tony had both shots of Pfizer, and felt no ill effects.
    If everyone ( or mostly everyone ) agrees we should have herd immunity here by end of summer ,since we are such a small country. I am nervous, but determined.
    Especially since they just extended the partial lockdown by 2 more weeks !

rach3975 and Karen like this.
  10. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I just scheduled an appointment to get the first dose of Moderna on Wednesday. Fingers crossed all goes well!

rach3975 and Karen like this.
  11. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

My son in California tm'd last night that he'd just gotten the J&J vaccine ... one "stick" and he's done. His wife is getting her second does of Pfizer/Moderna today.

My 25 y.o. grandson is still convinced that the vaccine will make him sterile ... <sigh>

12. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I got mine last week Tuesday, my second dose of Pfizer. It was a doozy. I felt fine for the first 6 hours, and then I got sore and a headache. I napped. Next morning on Wednesday, still really sore and tender to touch, a whopping headache, and lethargy. Stayed home, and napped most of the day away. Woke up the following day (Thursday), felt human, and as day progressed, like myself. It was not horrible, but I do suggest you just go to sleep. lol! I'm am thrilled to have gotten it.

I'm not ready for my kids to have it yet (12/16). I'd like a little more time for testing to be done. I know they will get it, but I've always delayed our shots and spaced them out.

bestcee and Karen like this.
  13. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Same here, Jan. I am not confident with a "vaccine" that is being given in "emergency status". I had the virus, and it is not a big deal unless you have preexisting conditions- as is true with any virus. I have also been staying on top of many doctors who have studied vaccines for DECADES, who say that it is jESPECIALLY since when I went to the ER for side stomach pain and they tried to tell me I had "double pneumonia" with NO symptoms ( I've had pneumonia and know what it is like- those symptoms NEVER developed!) and then forced me to be tested. They were so rude and refused to explain or discuss. It was such a bad experience, I wished I had stayed home. As it was, I experienced a panic attack- ( didn't know what one was before that!) and wet my pants right there in the exam room:imok- I've never been so humiliated nor wrongly diagnosed in my life! They separated me from my husband and made me walk through the entire ER wing out to the garage! :D Like I was a criminal or something!! It was horrid.
    They claimed I tested positive. Okay, then what is the treatment? For both "diagnoses" ( Dr. didn't come near me the entire visit- even BEFORE being tested!) I asked, Ok, you say I have double pneumonia? What is the treatment? " "Go home and take Motrin." was the response. Are you serious?? :eyeroll All this confirmed my gut response to all of this since last year. I won't be a guinea pig for those who claim to be knowledgeable yet truly don't know. I sincerely pray that NO ONE who has been vaccinated has any long lasting issues, including those in my family.:pray:pray:pray

I am more confident in God's design of our DNA and immune systems to heal from viruses than an unproven and untested "vaccine" which is being so widely promoted. The virus is a Trojan Horse.
    I know my view is not "popular" but I am accustomed to that.
    :crazy3
    My husband and I will not be vaccinated. That said, peace and health to each one of you!!!:heartslub

Pachimac, A-M and QuiltyMom like this.
  14. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. What a pain. I'm lucky to have a good doctor. Hang in there - remember you're not alone!

15. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Thanks, Jan! I do have a really good Dr., he takes over 30 minutes to talk, answer questions each visit. That was the ER - because the side pain was sharp and chronic- not a "tummy ache" as they said -where I expected professional treatment. But that place has gone downhill the past 2 years. I won't go there again. LOL!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  16. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I live in Northern VA, outside Washington, DC. The school superintendent shared data on our region this week. I can't remember whether it was just my county or the entire Northern VA region, but more than 90% of people in the area have been vaccinated or plan to be vaccinated. In addition, more than 90% of the teachers in our county (school system of 190,000 so thousands of teachers) have already been vaccinated.

LynnG and SeattleSheri like this.
  17. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

That's really phenomenal! As of today, 38% of residents in the county I live in have at least one dose (74% for those 65+). I haven't seen any data for our area that breaks it down by occupational demographics.

This article was published in our local paper earlier this month comparing the willingness of people to get vaccinated in the top 15 metro areas in the US (the quoted percentages don't include those who have already been vaccinated, so not the full picture, but are directionally accurate).
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...to-no-1-for-willingness-to-get-covid-vaccine/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    rach3975 and LynnG like this.
  18. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

In my county, 29.38% of people have received at least one dose of the vaccine, for a total of 50,079 people, and 17.88% of people in my county are fully vaccinated, for a total of 30,476 people. The numbers are increasing daily, so it's making me hopeful for our future.

LynnG likes this.
  19. HavaDrPepper

Ohio has been great about sharing information since the beginning. I've been a nerd tracking some of it the whole time. In September they started putting up school information and for a system with around 3000 students there have been 86 student cases and 29 staff cases from going in person from the first day of school. Many city schools in Ohio chose to do remote and the state's stance was to get all students back to in person by March 1st so they had the districts sign a contract that if they got their employees vaccinated through a state program, they would open schools. Only 1 district didn't sign because of building issues (couldn't social distance or do other upgrades needed). Some schools tried to go back on that contract but the governor called them out in press conferences! The state did accept a hybrid model (3 days in, 2 days out) but preferred the 5 days in. Last I saw less than 1% of the students in the state were on remote school all the time.

But by doing the school employees, it was harder for the first groups to get vaccines in February since a portion of the allotted doses for the state were diverted. School employees could choose not to get the vaccines if they wanted. The state opened to all adults age 18+ the end of March and 35% of the 11.7M population has had vaccines started. Almost 23% have been completed. My county of around 45,000 has 27% started and 20% completed. My county also didn't get the first vaccines until a week after vaccines were first available in the state (Dec 14th, my county Dec 21st). Around 57% of the 60+ population in my county has been fully vaccinated (including me). 67% of that population has started the process.

An interesting statistic is that 38% of the vaccines started in the state are Female, 31% are Male and the rest unknown. But that goes along with the gender metric of positive cases in the state... 53% Female, 46% Male.

rach3975 and LynnG like this.
  20. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

To those grieving the loss of a loved one due to covid-19 I am so sorry. To those who are dealing with its complications (either as a patient or a caregiver), I'm sorry.

Covid-19 is a big deal, and it can kill you regardless of preexisting conditions. If it doesn't kill you, then you could become a long hauler and suffer debilitating symptoms for months, with no end in sight, even for those who initially experienced mild symptoms. Thankfully the vaccine is providing some hope.

Please, whatever your personal opinions, don't spread false information. It could kill someone.