Bookmobile | Pad Patter 4.7

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Apr 7, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Today is National Bookmobile Day. I had a bookmobile as a kid in one of the towns we lived in. Bellfountain Oregon. I loved the librarian who drove it. She totally understood my love of reading and encouraged it by saving new books for me. She would set some aside for me to check out and see if I wanted to take them home.

A bookmobile is our name for a moving library. Basically, a bus that has a mini library inside instead of seats.

I hadn't seen a bookmobile in years, but we have one here. It goes out to the neighboring towns from our library. My son noticed it the other day and asked about it, which of course led me to tell him about my experience. (Note to self: Scrap that!)

So, have you ever had a Bookmobile? Do you have one now? Or do you have a regular library? Or something else?

[​IMG]

2. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember there being a bookmobile in the summers when I was a kid. We have a county library at the end of our street ... well there's a small neighborhood park, then the library ... so about two blocks from my house. It's one of the smaller libraries, but it's always had what my kids/GK needed. I no longer borrow real books, instead I borrow eBooks online to read on my Nook.

bestcee likes this.
  3. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

we had one when I was a child. We lived far out from the towns. Now I live in a large town we have access to static libraries. Although not at the moment. Libraries have been closed for over a year now due to Lockdown.

bestcee likes this.
  4. catgoddess

catgoddess Well-Known Member

I've never seen one myself, but we live about 30 mins outside of the city, so it would be wonderful to see one in our community.

bestcee likes this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Ohio has a lot of libraries that are run by the county. Mine is that way and the main branch is located here in town since it is the county seat. In fact, the library is right across from the courthouse and one block from the county administration building (and in the 1950's my church was located at this location so I always say my parents were married at the library and I was baptized there as well!) The county has 5 branch locations in some of the other towns in the county and people can request books from any of these locations to pick up at the location closest to you.

There was a bookmobile at one time and I found this on the library website on the history page: "In their efforts to continually improve library services to county residents, the library purchased their first bookmobile in 1952 and had designated stops around the county during the summer. In 1990, Outreach services were implemented and the bookmobile was used to provide these services. The library purchased the third bookmobile named the "County Explorer" in 1994. Due to decline in use, the bookmobile was sold on April 11, 2012."

They expanded into digital services long before COVID. I've been using my Kindle through the library for about 8 to 10 years. And, the state of Ohio has now implemented a program where residents can get free at-home COVID tests! My library is included in this (but hopefully I won't need this service since being vaccinated).

My local library has a long and interesting history.

bestcee likes this.
  6. bestcee

That's nice! Do you borrow through the library? Or other sites?

7. bestcee

Ours goes out that far. I wonder what it would take to get one in your area?

8. bestcee

Our library has reopened. But they also did curbside pickup when they were closed! It was awesome. I missed browsing, but munchkin has cost me a lot of money (happily!) in books the last year! I needed him to be able to borrow some.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  9. bestcee

Is this not common? Most of the places I've lived have county-run libraries. The size just depends on the county size. Like Las Vegas was huge! Bartholomew is small. Although, now that I think about it - Utah is weird. It was Salt Lake County library, but also Orem city and Provo city - despite them being the same county...

10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Some places have city libraries. Actually one town in my county (the 2nd largest) has their own city run library and are not a part of the county system. Probably goes back to the fact they wanted to be the county seat 160 years ago and my town got the honor... we are located in the middle of the county so it made sense. That town has been sour about it even to this day.

Our library is open but still has the drive-thru/curbside pickup available. They have their catalog online so people can reserve books that way. They do close for 1 hour in the middle of the day to do cleaning.

I get my ebooks through the Ohio Digital Library which is a digital consortium of 179 Ohio libraries. Overdrive is how I get the books. We now have Hoopla available too as long as you register using your library card. I haven't used them. And, they now have a partnership with LinkedIn Learning/Lynda.com. Haven't used it yet either.

bestcee likes this.
  11. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I borrow them from my county's library system using Overdrive ... there's also a "Libby" app we can use on your phone/tablet, but I prefer to read on my "E-ink" (b&w) Nook so I haven't downloaded the Libby app.

I can also borrow audiobooks online.

bestcee likes this.
  12. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

I don't ever remember a bookmobile although, of course, I have heard of them. I guess I grew up in larger cities so there were always libraries around. Now, I also download ebooks from our local library network West Texas Digital Consortium. So much easier and no late fines, they just come collect the book themselves, sometimes while I'm still reading it and that is lots of fun - not! But still, no late fee.

bestcee likes this.
  13. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have no experience with a bookmobile but I have heard of them and love the idea. I love libraries in general.

We have a great library system in the Fredericksburg, Virginia area with several branches. I love that I can request books on their website and then go pick them up. And they became like a second home as we've done so very many homeschool activities and performances there. One has full size stage theater. They closed at the beginning of the pandemic but soon offered curbside pickup and now they offering short appointments for visiting the library.

14. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Our area school district sponsors a bookmobile. You get two free books at each visit. There are books for all ages; sometimes I find something, but the kids always do. :)

bestcee likes this.
  15. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh my goodness, that was SO exciting - when the Bookmobile came around! My favorite memories were of going to the downtown public library and when the bookmobiles started - what a thrill!! always loved smelling the books.

CindyRitter and bestcee like this.
  16. CindyRitter

CindyRitter Creativity is not something I have or do, it is pa

I absolutely loved the bookmobile as a kid! It was one of the highlights of my week when I got to choose new books, Actually it still is! I have really missed being able to browse at the library during the COVID-19 restrictions. I will be really glad when things are back to normal and I can wander through the library touching books again!

bestcee likes this.
  17. bestcee

I keep my Kindle paperwhite on airplane mode except when I've actively downloading books. The library collects them, but it stays on my Kindle until I go online again. Now, I do the airplane mode to save battery, but it's a nice benefit!

Donitab likes this.
  18. bestcee

I can go to the library, but I feel bad touching books because we are supposed to put them on the shelves to be quarantined if you touch but don't take. Sigh.

CindyRitter likes this.
  19. bestcee

To keep? Or just borrow?

20. bestcee

This is awesome! I've watched a free different design and Adobe classes through the library Lynda - Linked in.