Covid Vaccine

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dotcomkari, Apr 2, 2021.

1. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Who all has gotten the Covid 19 Vaccine? Have you had one shot?? both?? Which brand? Any side effects??

I had the Johnson and Johnson one shot on the 31st. I had no side effects at first.. I was actually peach doory for most of that first day. Than that night it hit me bad! Like scary bad.
    I got the chills so bad I couldn't get warm. [​IMG] Even in a sweat suit under 10 blankets with my service dog on top me of I was shaking so bad . I was seriously scared. My skin was purplish and it almost felt like I was having a mini seizure I was shaking so bad and cold. I was crying. I almost took myself to the ER. It took a few hours before finally the chills stopped and I could get some sleep.

The next morning I woke with a splitting headache![​IMG] I thought my head was going to explode (of course it was my first real long day at work too!) [​IMG] ... thankfully after a few pain killers I got the pain to stop enough that I could comfortably work throughout my day with nothing more than an annoying headache

Thankfully all my symptoms are mostly gone now.. except a dull pain where the shot was given and slight headaches here and there. I also find myself a little more worn out than normal. but that is a given..

I am grateful I recieved the shot.. and thankful that medical science is allowing me to do my part in preventing the virus.. I have personally lost a few friends and close ones due to the virus.. and with my weak immune system I am so happy that a vaccine is now available. And I would gladly take it again...

Yet I do honor the choices of others as well and I do know a few people that are totally against the vaccine

Christina W and umyesh like this.
  2. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I had the moderna. Both shots. First shot my arm ached. Second shot hit me hard. Had covid like symptoms, fever chills, headache for about two days. Feeling better now.

I hate needles like HATE them. Which is ironic since I have to give people immunizations. That being said, I never get shots. I did get this one because Covid is so dangerous and I am in contact with so many people every single day.

FYI, was on a conference call and there is a possibility that the J&J shot may require a second shot two months after the first. It is currently in efficacy trials.

SeattleSheri and LynnG like this.
  3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

My husband and I aren't eligible here in Chicago yet, but there was a site across the state that was open to all IL residents 18 and up. We were able to get appointments for the next day at 12:15 (last Sunday). We got up at 5:30 am and drove the five hours there, got our one dose J&J shots in under an hour and drove the five hours home. It was a hard day but soooo worth it! I have had almost no side effects... I was cold for about 24 hours and a little tired. My husband, on the other hand, was hit hard at about 2am after getting the shot. He was really bad (mainly chills and body aches) for about 24 hours and then has been feeling better bit by bit, every day since. So glad we got it done and it's behind us now!

My daughter (freshman in college) has had her first dose and will get her second dose Thursday. My son is still waiting to be eligible. So ready for us all to be vaccinated!

Dalis and LynnG like this.
  4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Had Pfizer.. 1st on 3/4 ... sore for 24 hours in injection spot. 2nd on 3/25 sore for 24 hours in injection spot .. I hydrated drinking water all day the day before and when I got home and I have been fine with no side affects :) Hope everyone else is ok!

LynnG likes this.
  5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I just got my second dose of Pfizer first thing this morning. So far it's the same side effect as the first dose: an achy sore arm. My husband and two of my kids (ages 19 and 17) have had the same.

LynnG likes this.
  6. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I'm on a waitlist for the AstraZeneca vaccine, and have basically put myself on a 'standby list' (they text you if they have an extra dose, and you have an hour to get to the vaccination site in order to receive the jab...).

My son got the Johnson and Johnson vaccine on Wednesday, and when he texted me ("I just got vaccinated"), I actually broke down and cried. A high school classmate of his (22 years old) had died of Covid just a few days earlier; and my beloved aunt (my mother's closest sister) died of Covid in mid-February.

The vaccine is an example of what medical research can do, when the best minds/the best facilities are determined to make life better for all of us. I'm all in when it comes to vaccination; and can't wait to get the jab...

rach3975, bestcee and LynnG like this.
  7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I had the Moderna vaccine in Jan/Feb, both of them. I didn't have so much as a sore arm with the first one. With the second one, I woke up the next morning with a bit of a sore arm, but otherwise no side-effects whatsoever.

My mom (83) had the Pfizer. She had no side effects with the first, but got pretty sick for a day or two after the second. My oldest and his wife both also had the Pfizer since they work in the medical field. They both experienced some achiness and headaches the next day.

8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I got my 1st shot on 3/9. When I made the appointment they scheduled the follow up for 4/6 since it was supposed to be Moderna (my cousin got Moderna at the same place on 3/8). I got there on 3/9 and was told I would be getting Pfizer since the only Moderna available that day would be for 2nd shots. They did not change the 2nd appointment even though Pfizer is 21 days and Moderna is 28 days from 1st to 2nd. From my reading, it appears that waiting that week is not an issue.

As for side effects, I had the sore arm about 12 hours later and the next morning. I had read to keep the arm moving so I made sure to stretch about every 30 minutes throughout the day. I also took several ibuprofen to ward off any possible headaches. Plan on doing the same thing on Tuesday.

My cousin's daughter (a 40 year old dermatologist in Orlando) got the Pfizer in December. This is what she said about it "First dose: 12 hours after injection, developed a sore arm. Resolved 12 hours later.
    Second dose: a few hours after injection, developed a sore arm; even felt sore into my armpit. Improved with Tylenol. I was able to work the next day with no issues. Resolved after 2 days.
    No fevers, chills, or flu-like symptoms. Grateful to have the opportunity to help keep me, my family, and community safe."

I just felt a weight lifted off my shoulders after the 1st shot. On Tuesday I will probably feel even more so!

rach3975 and LynnG like this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My apt is Thursday for my first shot- pfizer. Waiting to qualify felt like forever! And then there were no apts. I do feel lucky though, my state set up a one website spot to register and check for apts. I've heard in some states it's a matter of checking multiple websites and places. Our pharmacies aren't doing it, so no opportunity for wait-list here.

My husband was good on his first dose, but the second one kicked his butt for about 10 hours. He ran a fever and slept. Then he was fine and back to work. He had pzifer.

LynnG likes this.
  10. jenny

jenny jenny

My husband I still aren't eligible. For now they are focusing on seniors and healthcare workers etc. My in-laws who are 70+ are on a waiting list and expect to be called in the next week or so.

bestcee likes this.
  11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We were advised by our daughter who's a nurse to take the first available. We were holding out for the J&J but ended up getting the Moderna. That was her first choice for us (dd) then she said to get the first one that was available. So it ended up being Moderna. Neither hubby nor I had any side effects, not even a sore arm. Our SIL got the last J&J (we all go to the same doctor) and we were to go in the next day. He was pretty sick from his - felt really bad for a few days. We're going back for our second shots on the 28th and are hoping for the same non-effects as with the first one.

bestcee and LynnG like this.
  12. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

My husband and I have had both shots of the Moderna. Only had sore arms. My daughter has had her first shot; SIL got his second today. My son has an appointment; not sure about DIL. I will be so relieved when they all have their vaccines done.

On the plus side, my husband is now able to travel (safely) to AZ to spend some time with his 84-yr-old mom who he hasn't visited in person since 2019.

Donitab, bestcee and LynnG like this.
  13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I’m on the wait list at 3 different pharmacies so expect I’ll get a text in the next 2-3 wks.

LynnG likes this.
  14. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

No vaccines available yet in my part of the world. My husband's doctor asked did he want to put his name down and he said to put it at the end of the list. He is over 70 so is eligible for it.
    I am hoping it will not be mandatory for my volunteer work in Aged Care as I prefer not to receive it. It will not stop the virus from spreading if you contract it, only stops you from getting serious symptoms.

AJK likes this.
  15. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

You were on the exact same schedule as my hubby! He had a sore arm at the injection site after dose 1 and some mild muscle aches in his neck/shoulders after dose 2 for 1 day.

I have a friend of a friend who works at the CDC, apparently with the mRNA vaccines, if you're going to experience side effects on dose 2, they start around 13 hours post vaccination. Everyone I've talked to has had pretty short-lived symptoms (2 days tops). I've also read that women are more susceptible to symptoms - under the theory that it's somehow tied to estrogen (not sure if there is any validity to that).

I will be getting my second dose of Pfizer next week. I've proactively blocked the following day off my work calendar as tentative in case I have symptoms. I still have 4 hours of meetings, but it's better than 8+, lol. I personally have a strong preference for a two dose regimen. I'm the demographic that is highly susceptible to long hauler syndrome and I anecdotally believe that the more you can prime the immune system the better! With that said, I would have taken anything offered to me. With dose #1, I only had localized injection site pain that started within 24 hours and resolved within 48 hours.

I'm thankful that I'm likely over 80% protected after one dose (2+ weeks post vaccination).

jk703 and cfile like this.
  16. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Yay Re getting your second one scheduled.. glad your hubby did well.. I already have breathing issues so I really do t want anything.. I heard the same Re women but I also heard if you hydrate before and after and no Tylenol etc before you are pretty much no side effects.. I had no headache thankfully as I was concerned as I am prone to migraines..we are not around people a lot even before pandemic so I have been wiping down things and carrying wipes in my purse for years.. I just hope we can all go back to going places one day with no mask!! Hugs and be safe Sheri. Glad your hubby did well

LynnG and SeattleSheri like this.
  17. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I will be having mine....our government is using the Pfizer vaccine. As to when well I don’t know. I know I’m might be likely to be in the 2nd if not 3rd round of vaccinations as part of the rollout here due to meeting both location and high health risk criteria. 2nd group would mean any time from March til May and 3rd group would be May til July. If I have to wait til all the priority groups are done it will be from July onwards.

18. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

Had both shots. Last one a week ago. I had no problems. I am lucky.

jk703 likes this.
  19. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

The one thing I've read about women which I hope is true is that post-menopausal have fewer reactions to the shots, especially the 2nd one. The hormone theory at work! It seems that most of the people I know that have gotten it (mainly 65+) have had no or very few reactions with soreness at injection site being the most prevalent. I get soreness there just from a regular flu shot so was not surprised with that reaction. Some of the younger ones that I have heard about have had the headaches and fever for a few hours.

If I was 20 years younger, I wouldn't hesitate to get the J&J but at my age, I felt a 2-dose shot was better since there is a history of lung issues and heart issues in my family. I do have a heart issue that is controlled by medication but I'm not willing to take chances.

Thankfully Ohio has fully opened up who can get a vaccine, well, except kids. A program to vaccinate college students with the J&J vaccine is starting in the next week and they are hoping to get any who want it done before the students go home for the summer.

LynnG likes this.
  20. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm excited that the scientists are studying this so we have a definitive answer. I know there's been so much anecdotal evidence out there both ways.

IntenseMagic and SeattleSheri like this.