Netflix show recommendations

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, Mar 19, 2021.

1. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Hey ladies (and possible gent)!!! I need Netflix recommendations. I watch a lot of true crime documentaries and based on analytics all my top recommendations make me look like some weirdo. All the nurder ( nerd + murder) show in the 90+ Percentile matches are making my hubby give me weird side glances when he actually starts looking through Netflix. I also like BBC shows too and my favorite is Sherlock. I have watched Broadchurch but that show is also pretty dark. My sister recommended supernatural and two episodes in, I am like meh. Maybe because it’s dated?!? I don’t know. Should I give it a few more episodes? Help a gal out!! Started Schitts creek with hubby and he was unimpressed. I have held off watching it in case he wants to watch it again. Maybe I should just watch that on my own?!?
    I also have access to Disney plus and Hulu.

***edited to add we have prime too but clearly I never watch it since I didn't think of it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  2. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I was also very unimpressed with Schitz Creek! I couldn't even get through the first episode before I had to leave the room.

My favorite latest series has been Endeavour. I believe it's on Netflix (oops - sorry! It's on Amazon). A very good crime/drama BBC show. I also started watching Designated Survivor but for some reason never finished it out.

I also liked Repair Shop (also on Netflix), but then I adore making and fixing things. It is very fascinating! Call the Midwife is also very good. If you're into tacos, try the Taco Chronicles!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    weaselwatchr likes this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

DH didn't like Schitt's Creek either, but I think it takes a couple eps to really get going. I ended up loving it so much that I didn't ask DH to try again: I wanted to binge without waiting for him to be free to watch with me lol.

Anyway, show recs:
    Last Tango in Halifax
    New Girl
    Community
    Rake (the Australian version)
    The Magicians (<<<<this is the most action-y and murder-y and dark show I can handle during the pandemic)

Do you have Amazon Prime? I liked Truth Seekers (I did NOT watch the one on Netflix)

weaselwatchr and keepscrappin like this.
  4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

We have netflix, slingtv, amazon prime, disney+, paramount+, and then the free ones: abc, cw

I can't keep straight which streaming service the shows are on, but I'll try with a few of my favs!

disney+
    black beauty
    aladdin - live action one with Will Smith as the Genie
    mulan - live action
    clouds
    national treasure
    mandalorian
    the falcon and the winter soldier (new today) on my to watchlist.
    wanda vision - the first two episodes are iffy, but once you get through those it picks up
    safety - on my to watchlist
    cheaper by the dozen 1 & 2
    soul

netflix
    man with a plan - funny
    good witch
    virgin river
    sweet magnolias
    away
    legacies - (it's a vampire diaries and originals spin off, newer season on cw app)
    money heist
    dolly parton's heart strings
    enola holmes
    finding ohana - on my to watchlist
    private practice - spin off from grey's anatomy
    fate the winx saga
    the crown - on my to watchlist

paramount+ (formerly cbs all access) - can watch somethings for free without a subscription.
    magnum pi
    Macgyver
    bull
    ncis
    the neighborhood - just started watching with hubby, it's funny!

Amazon prime video
    knives out - silly crime/mystery - soooo good
    numb3rs
    covert affairs
    veronica mars
    jack ryan

that's all i can think of right now. hth!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    FarrahJobling likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We've been watching Call The Midwife. We love it!

6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Netflix: the crown, outlander, heartland in addition to what Kayla @keepscrappin mentioned

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I think Schitts Creek gets better as it goes on.

But... it isn't a TV show, but I assume you have listened to the Crime Junkies podcast? I LOVE Ashley and Britt.

As for television, lately we haven't watched too much. But if you're into crime shows, we did enjoy Killing Eve on hulu. It's a little bizarre, but we wound up liking it and are caught up on it currently. We also started Falcon and the Winter Solider today and really liked the first episode.

carrie1977 likes this.
  8. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

We've been enjoying the crime series Bosch on Prime recently. Its based on the Michael Connelly novels.
    Also Line of Duty on Netflix a British crime series.

9. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

me too. i just watch an episode here and there bc no one else in my house will tolerate it though. it is taking me a long time - i'm on season 6 now, but i started this last year, lol!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  10. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

You didn't say you had Prime - but we recently binged Tell Me Your Secrets and thought that was very good. Also loved The Wilds.

The new season of The Handmaids Tale comes out very soon on Hulu.

On Netflix - recently loved The Queen's Gambit and Bridgerton.

FarrahJobling likes this.
  11. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I watch TV with my husband in the evenings so we usually go with something he will like as well. BOSCH (mentioned above) was good. We just finished JUSTIFIED (which reminds me of a modern day Clint Eastwood). It is a show about a Deputy Marshall in the south. There is a lot of deaths/killings and you wonder how there is anyone left in their county, but it was good and my husband was wanting another season. I don't know what service carries it as we got it from the library.

CALL THE MIDWIFE is good (my husband doesn't like it)

12. weaselwatchr

We have amazon too! I will have to check out Endeavor.

13. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

you made me LOL with the nurder and re the recommendations being all about crime shows...I'm the SAME!!

Netflix in Brazil is different from other countries, but recently I finished Modern Family and Jane the Virgin, on the comedy line.

I started how I met your mother, I'm not crazy about it but I'm on season 4.

14. weaselwatchr

Adding some of these to my list, thanks.

Tree City likes this.
  15. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Honestly, I didn't think my hubby would like it, but he does. It gets pretty intense at times. We pretty much like anything that BBC produces, though. We DO have Prime, but can't get it to work for some reason. I need to get on Amazon and see why it's not working. It hasn't worked since we moved here.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  16. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

My Netflix list is the same lots and lots of True Crime Documentaries. I loved Supernatural, stick with it if you like that genre as it does get really good. But apart from those other shows I have been watching are:

Netflix Currently Watching, New Girl, Modern Family, Sinner, Virgin River, Lucifer, Superstore, Sweet Magnolias, Once Upon a Time

Other shows currently binge watching Fringe, Dexter, (seen all episodes before but rewatching), New Amsterdam, Grey's Anatomy, Station 19, 9-1-1, 911 Lonestar, Prodigal Son,

Some other shows I have loved and finished watching are some of these are on Netflix here in UK and some I have seen on Prime but have to pay for.
    White Collar, Younger, How to Get Away with Murder, Scandal, Warehouse 13, Suits, Haven, Criminal Minds, Bones, Scorpion, Eureka, The Night Shift,

17. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I'm a true crime junkie also...I typically watch something related to true crime and I listen to way too many podcasts (I can give you a list if you'd like). I'm basically a detective.

[​IMG]

I recently started watching Behind Her Eyes...pretty good so far.