No spend scrappy challenge

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jan 30, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Find an amount of time that works for you and doesn't seem overwhelming. Like, maybe you decide I can work on stash sorting for 10 minutes. Just 10 minutes. Set a timer.

I do that with Lightroom photo organizing. I tell myself 15 minutes. And if I want to keep going after 15 minutes, I'll do a few more. But if I stop at 15, that's fine. I did what I wanted. And I find that 15 minutes 5-7 days a week keeps it fresher in my mind than 2 hours once a month. So, for me, it goes faster because I don't have to remember what I was doing last time because last time was only a day or so ago. But that's what works for me. And it took a while to figure that out. I'm still working on them, but I've made a lot of progress 15 minutes at a time.

You'll find what works for you!

EHStudios likes this.
  2. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Another thing I do when I'm trying not to spend is I don't look at the newsletter or store until the sale is over. So I finally open the weekly newsletter on Monday. That way I know if there's something I should add to my wishlist but I'm not tempted to buy it right then, at full price. As for SOSN, one thing that helps me resist is to think about how much I'd actually save by buying it that day rather than during a storewide sale. Often the difference is minimal, and for me that makes it a lot easier to tell myself that it can wait on my wishlist a little while longer.

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

@bestcee has great advice. Do whatever you can while not being overwhelmed. It may take you longer but when you are done, you will feel a real sense of accomplishment and you'll know what you have!

It took me a few weeks to do it and I didn't mind spending time on it since you know... stay at home during a pandemic was happening. But it gave me more motivation to scrap when I was done because of finding kits I had forgotten about.

I've also been more prone to shopping my stash since then as well!

bestcee likes this.
  4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Great ideas. It would definitely work for New Releases but less so for SOSN as with 50% off that absorbs the exchange difference and gives me about 10-12% off.

rach3975 likes this.
  5. littlekiwi

Well I’m realising what one of my main triggers is....if I’ve had a rough day or bad news I’m more likely to go into the store, have some retail therapy and spend money. With SOSN, the sale usually starts mid afternoon Wednesday for me so I’m trying to make myself sleep on anything I want to buy and decide on Thursday morning. So far it’s kind of working a bit in the sense I do tend to edit down what I buy from like $40-50 to under $20, would be better if it was zero though.

rach3975 likes this.
  6. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I've been doing this for years with iTune gift cards ... I've never attached a credit card to my account b/c I have no self-control when it comes to buying music.

I've currently on a spending moratorium, so one of my tricks is to simply delete any store/designer emails ... I can't want what I don't see, lol!!!

rach3975 likes this.
  7. littlekiwi

Well this no spend thing is going awful.....I have zero self control it seems yet I have a tonne of stuff. I'm not necessarily being tempted by newsletters at the moment....its the darn LOD sales our designers keep offering up

8. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

@littlekiwi have you been thinking or applying for CT for some designer(s) that would increase your stash, getting brand new stash to play, allowing you save money and have fun, just an idea.

9. littlekiwi

honestly I don't feel that I am worthy of that especially next to some uber creative scrappers plus in reality I'm actually a super inconsistent scrapper....I'm a all or nothing girl

10. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Scrapbooking is an art, and art has many different ways to express itself. @littlekiwi I went thru your gallery, and I love your pages, you have to believe more in yourself girl!

littlekiwi likes this.
  11. littlekiwi

12. Cinzia

Cinzia Well-Known Member

I am a sales girl too but I didn't know about the coupons for slow scraps and chats. I will have to check this out. I have recently found the extra designer discounts for their challenges. Also the hue/challenge challenge from the MOC will help to make any stash go further. I also like the suggestion of sorting and this might feel like shopping. It might help too with what I call the "proscraptination." Sometimes to avoid marking papers I would make a deal to scrap a page and then mark 10 exams...

13. littlekiwi

@Cinzia love the term “proscraptination”, I think I suffer from that and study/assignment/job application procrastination too on a regular basis. I might just need to use your incentive methods of scrap a page then do “x” or more effectively probably the other way around

14. littlekiwi

well my no spend challenge has gone woefully so far....if I keep going the way I have done the past 3 months, I will have spent four times as much money on supplies as I did last year. Honestly seems like I have no self control....yes I know I have the Gift Cert which I'll use at NSD but I just can't seem to keep a lid on spending. I know Love our Designers didn't help me in that respect but its out of control for me (not to the point my entire budget is screwed but too high for me to be happy with)

15. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Bless you.
    The way I force myself to stick to a budget when I need to is to limit my access to funds. So when I go to a craft store I take cash instead of my cards so I don't splash out on lots of cuteness I don't immediately need, and only buy what I went there for.
    When I need to budget myself here at the Lilypad I buy myself a gift certificate at the beginning of the month. Once it's spent it's used up I can't spend again until I buy next month's budget gift certificate. Maybe you could try something like that?

bestcee, littlekiwi and keepscrappin like this.
  16. littlekiwi

Ooh that’s a great idea @Angela Toucan ...will have to think on how much to allow...the amount it should be I know I’d never stick to long term. I was thinking $40USD for the month initially but just with BYOC today I’d blow that budget pretty much (FYI, I haven’t checked out yet as I want to try and trim my cart down a bit first). I just can’t keep spending $100-120USD each week like I did in March! To stick to $40 I’d be 90% limited to SOSN I think. I might be able to stretch it to $60 a month so it’s roughly $100NZD....what kills me is I pay 30-40% extra with currency conversion.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  17. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

I love to treat my stash as a store. Something was retired last week that I had never even gotten around to using. Sooooo bad.
    I saw someone in the forum say she decided to use every kit, one at a time. I love that idea. Does it sound like fun to you? I'm in if you're in!

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  18. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

Same in Canada, the exchange is HORRIBLE! Things that seem reasonable just aren't when you add on the exchange.

19. littlekiwi

Ooh using my stash as the store....that’s a great idea. Not sure I’d be able to stick to using a single kit per layout but that could be a cool challenge.

20. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Assuming you have the room in your budget, maybe split the difference from what you routinely spend, and what you want the budget to be at? I do this with my grocery budget. I want it to be x, but it's at y, so I'm trying a spot in the middle to see if it will work. I also know that some months are higher because of sales I know come around, and others are lower - like when summer comes and produce is in season and cheap. So, I look at the bigger picture and see if it balances out.

The gift certificate idea is great! Have you considered making a note about which sales you like the best? Like, you know iNSD will have sales, so saving for that is brilliant.