How do you organize your Lilypad products?

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges Nine - 2021' started by pbrooks, Jan 28, 2021.

1. pbrooks

pbrooks I need a realtor!

Thank you so much for sharing. I am going to start filing by designer and keep a separate folder for templates. I just got a new computer. Love it but I am not looking forward to transferring everything!

2. pbrooks

Thank you so much for sharing! Good ideas.

3. pbrooks

Great ideas, thank you for sharing. I like the idea of keeping the most recent kits on my computer and everything on EHD. Also separate folder for templates and utilizing subfolders.

4. pbrooks

Thank you for sharing your ideas. I am going to start using folders for store, designer and kit.

3BluEyedBabies likes this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So many good ideas here!! I may end up using a few myself.

pbrooks likes this.
  6. pbrooks

Thank you so much for sharing! Right now I have my kits mixed all together. I am going to start organizing by store.

michelepixels likes this.
  7. pbrooks

Thank you! The first thing I am going to create a folder named Digital. Then I am going to file by store.

8. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@pbrooks Pam, I am next week setting up a new desktop computer as the one I am using now is soon going to die. I am just hanging on until the end of the month as I am taking part in MOC. I hope to keep the new computer more tidy than this one. I am going to keep most kits on EHDs and one will be constantly plugged in which will have the Stores I now am only shopping at with The Lily Pad being the main one.

pbrooks likes this.
  9. chai

chai Love to make a racket!

I also have a MAC and give all of my kit folders previews. I make use of lots of tagging and saved searches. I organize by designer only. But each designer folder is tagged with their current store. Sometimes I tag them with their primary style. For kits, I tag by colors, themes, style, topic, etc. Then when I am looking for a wedding kit with pink, I can do a quick search. I also tag word art and templates.

I have saved searches by store. I keep my Lilypad search in my left bar, so all I have to do is click on it to get all of my Lilypad designers. If a new designer joins the store, it is easy to add her by giving her a Lilypad tag. Easy Peasy!

julianz and michelepixels like this.
  10. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

@chai you have some good ideas. I never thought of using saved searches and have to confess to not really using tags (I'd forgotten about them).

I used to tag kits with Bridge when I kept everything locally.

11. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

You have me super curious. When you say "saved searches" are you referring to the frequently used tags that appear in the finder sidebar or something totally different? :heartlub

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  12. chai

chai Love to make a racket!

It's a little different. You can search by a set of tags and then save that search. For example, I search for my tag Lilypad and choose kind = folder. That gives me the folders of all of my Lilypad designers. There is an option to save the search and keep it in the left bar.

13. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

It's kind of funny how you can use something daily and not notice a feature!

For anyone that's interested, here is how to save a search. When you execute a search, you use the "save" (off to the right under the search bar) and then name your search with the pop up box. It then shows in your sidebar.

upload_2021-1-30_9-1-52.png

14. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Organised.....what’s that concept? Joking, I know what it is and it’s 100% not my laptop at the moment

pbrooks likes this.
  15. pbrooks

Thank you for sharing your ideas! I just got a new laptop. I feel the same way about organizing my new one. My old one is so disorganized. I can't remember who but someone said that they kept 3-6 months worth of supplies on their computer and the rest on EHD. I plan on doing that. Hopefully that will help!

16. pbrooks

LOL!

17. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Like many here ALL my kits are stored on external hard drives. I do
    Main folder
    Store (folder)
    Within the main folder
    Designer (next folder)
    Within the designer folder
    Name of kit ( last folder)

all layouts are with in one folder called Layouts. I have a whole system for naming my layouts so they are easy to locate. Say challenges name and dates

have more folders that are just for say
    BYOC
    (month/year)
    Monthly Media
    (month/year name of that month)
    Challenges

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    pbrooks likes this.
  18. pbrooks

Thank you for sharing your organization style! Your style is exactly what I am working on! I figure if it works for so many people here, it will work for me. LOL!

19. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Well, if you want to talk about organizing layouts...

I have one main folder titled Digital Layouts. Then I have sub-folders titled 600x600 Files, Layouts, PSP Layout Files. The PSP files are my software version of PSD or TIF files in that that files type has all separate layers in each layout before I save it as a JPG. The 600x600 files are those that I used to share in galleries but still continue to save because I use that size layout when adding a jpg to my excel files that show layouts done.

I have the same sub-folders within each of those as well with about 25 or so sub-folders. For example some are 2020 DYD (Document Your December), Book of Me, Dogs, Family, Vacations etc. The Family sub-folder has several sub-folders each pertaining to specific families.

I also have a sub-folder in my layouts folder called "To Be Uploaded". That is for all layouts that need to be uploaded for printing at Persnickety Prints. Once they have been uploaded they are moved to the folder they belong in.

I spent a lot of time last May reorganizing my layouts as I had just dumped them all and I could never see if I had a layout for photos or not. My folder structure also mirrors the actual albums that I put them in. I do albums mostly by theme but will go chronological within the album. Once I got them organized I could figure out what old photos I still needed to scrap. I also renamed some layout files at that time since they might have been named for a past challenge. Now they reflect at least the year if not also the month and date and the event. They now sort chronologically in both Picasa and Windows. Well worth the month it took me to do it.

20. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

I had a play too. Rather than choose to clutter up my sidebar, I didn't bother saving there (uncheck the box) and created a new folder for 'Scrap Searches' and gave my search a meaningful name.

SeattleSheri likes this.