Interview Ideas ♥

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges Nine - 2021' started by AnneofAlamo, Jan 23, 2021.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

The January 23 - Interview About The Past challenge is indeed challenging. I have known about it for a little bit, and been ruminating about the interview. Sometimes, the making of the page stands in the way of the getting the memory.
    I want to give some ideas and tips for interviewing.

First lets go back 5 years:

Frozen came out!
    Questions to ask?
    How many characters can you name in the movie?
    Can you sing the song?

and are you more Anna or Elsa?

Before interviewing someone, they are already hesitant, so having questions first is important.
    If you choose a big event, in the news or their lives. Start by just talking about the moment, then ask:

• Where were you when this happened?
    • How did it affect your life?
    • How did you feel about it?
    Sometimes, if you make it more casual, ask if they will help you learn more about the event they remember. Begin searching for it on the internet. The words that come out, in conversation can help you ask questions with more of a personal level.

Ten years ago:

Facebook became available to everyone around the world.
    Nintendo Wii came out

Some more dates that may help spark interview questions:

April 29, 2011: 3 billion people tune in to watch Britain's Prince William marry college sweetheart Kate Middleton in a ceremony at Westminster Cathedral in London
    October 13, 2010: 33 miners are rescued after spending 69 days trapped in a Chilean copper mine.

Some more close to home interview questions:

Remember first day of school?
    What did you wear? Who was your best friend?
    Did we walk to school, how did you get there?

Favorite present 5, 6, 7 years ago for birthday, or Christmas

or maybe a vacation or adventure you went on together.

I haven't even begun yet, I am not sure my heart wants to go back 5 years ago. I am gonna go thru my photo files of 5, 6, years or more, and see if I can find an event that I can talk to my boys or husband about, that is joyful.

I would love to have you fill this thread with your ideas?

G.J., Karen, HeatherB and 2 others like this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I ended up interviewing my husband about his memories of the births of our children (now 19, 17, and 14) but I had a few other ideas first: when my friend and I met, our early walking days (we walk together weekly), and, from scrolling through the challenge thread, I considered the fabulous idea of reminiscing with my husband about our honeymoon.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

As life changes, my husband and I have been talking about when we bought our first house - more than 5 years ago; or when he was in school and when we went to school together.

I've also thought about 9/11. It was such a big day in my life and my husband but happened before my son, and my brother was only 3, so he doesn't really remember life before.

I've also thought about asking my mom about Halloween when I was a kid. I remember it being one way, but I'm sure she remembers it another way. To me: She was magical and able to sew 3 costumes in no time flat. But I'm sure if I ask her, I'll learn she stayed up late sewing, and worked on it while we were at school.

4. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

@bestcee My mother did the same thing! Actually, she made a lot of the clothes that I wore! I remember one Halloween outfit that she made me. It was supposed to be a pilgrim outfit. Black to the floor with a white apron and collar. There was even a hat to wear with it. I was so proud of that outfit....until everyone started asking me why I had dressed like a nun! LOL! It's funny now but it wasn't back then! I ended up wearing it again in a play right before Thanksgiving!

But that would be a good interview. Finding out how Halloween has changed from one generation to another. Or from one region of the country to another. One could even view Christmas in that way as well. or ask about family traditions.

bestcee likes this.
  5. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@AnneofAlamo Thankyou Anne for starting this thread. I am still stuck so this will possibly be a challenge I will need to skip.

6. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

This is a tough challenge and I am not one to go asking folks to allow me to interview them. But we are on the 23rd day of the month and I will NOT allow myself to give up this far into the month. I will rise....even if I have to interview the CAT.

AmandaJ, threadjungle, Saar and 6 others like this.
  7. A-M

I would do a pet interview but we do not have a pet.

8. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I am thinking a fun phone call to a friend or relative and just chat, and ask questions, nonchalantly may be a good way to attempt this.
    I am also availing myself, anyone wants to PM me questions about any event, I will gladly answer questions ♥

Angela Toucan and Ferdy like this.
  9. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

What about a neighbors pet? Or the neighbor about their pet?

10. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

I am all for these as well! I am up to answering questions too!

11. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Interview another TLP member about scrapbooking five years ago (I'm happy to be interviewed along with Anne!). What program were you using? What site was your favorite? Who was your favorite designer?i Did you do MOC five years ago? What was your experience?

threadjungle likes this.
  12. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Think about questions you want to answer or reflect on yourself, then pick someone else to interview who has said they're willing in this thread. If you don't care to keep the random person's answers on your page, you can keep a copy with just your answers for yourself.

13. michelepixels

I love journaling challenges and don't find them hard. If anyone wants to interview me about anything, just send me a message.

14. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I confess that this challenge will be the hardest part for me. I'm with my fiance for less than 5 years, I don't have kids, my mom passed away...I'll need to use someone's ideas, for sure!!

15. Ferdy

umyesh and michelepixels like this.
  16. A-M

@AnneofAlamo @Carla @umyesh
    Thankyou for the offers to be interviewed but isn't the criteria for the challenge that it is to be an event you both shared in real life?

17. michelepixels

I don't think you have to know the person or have shared the event in real life.

18. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

Does it have to be 5 years or more or does it just have to be in the past, like last year or last month?

Answering my own question! Yes, at least 5 years ago.

Ferdy likes this.
  19. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

I went back and re-read the challenge. It doesn't need to be even someone that you shared an event with. Just someone about a past event. Maybe your friend went to a concert that you could not attend. Ask questions about the concert. Or it could be a family reunion that you were not able to attend.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Ferdy likes this.
  20. Ferdy

I think I'll do that thing of just start a conversation with a friend and then use the answers, without having a real interview!

I love the concert idea, @Carla !

Carla likes this.