Drinking Straws | Pad Patter 1.3

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jan 3, 2021.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Today is National Drinking Straw Day! The patent for the drinking straw was granted on this day in 1888.
    [​IMG]

I used to have one of those soda shop kind of dispensers on my kitchen counter full of plastic straws. The kids always love the bendy ones! But a couple of years ago I decided I should be a little more eco-friendly and bought a bunch of metal straws and a few silicone ones as well. I don't use them all the time, just sporadically. Most of the time I just drink straight from whatever cup/glass I'm using. I really dislike the metal ones in my thermal cups (like Yeti) because the metal on metal sound drives me nuts. I've looked at the silicone pieces that you can get to put on them, but haven't tried it yet. I guess I just don't use them enough to bother. I'm also considering getting some glass ones to try.

Do you use straws regularly? Do you have a favorite kind?

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I don't use straws often, usually only fast food ones if I get a shake/drink or at a restaurant because I never want to drink off the actual cup. lol

IntenseMagic, keepscrappin and KimJ like this.
  3. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Like Kiana, about the only time I use a straw is at a restaurant or for takeout. Since the former isn't happening right now, and usually when we get takeout I don't get a drink, that happens pretty rarely these days. I can't remember the last time I bought straws. We are very slowly working our way through a random box of them that we have had forever. I don't even know where it came from since they are straight, and when I did buy them I bought bendy straws.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I have a metal one I think packed away with my eco cutlery set (I’ve been buying bits and pieces over the years for when I finally do move out of home but all of that is boxed up at the moment).

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

We don't use straws at home... and honestly I want to be eco friendly and even use a reusable one for restaurants, but the idea of getting the inside of the straw actually clean grosses me out. :giggle My kids used to have those spiral straws and they loved using them, but I just hated thinking about how stuff would get stuck in there.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I don't use straws at home but do have a box I've had forever. Came in handy after my oral surgery in November. I couldn't feel my mouth to know if I had the glass close enough to drink so I used a straw. No spilled drinks on me that way :)

I totally understand the eco friendly thing but I can say that I hate drinking out of the biodegradable ones. I couldn't even finish a drink using one this past summer at an outdoor location when I met with my insurance agent. It actually made the lemonade taste horrible.

IntenseMagic and keepscrappin like this.
  7. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Yes, I use them. My favorites come from QT (Quick Trip convenience) store. [​IMG] QT.JPG
    They are large, extra sturdy and longer than most. They last a long time and yes, I do wash them out after each use, nothing builds up in them that way. It helps keep teeth in better condition, and my family's genes are weak regarding tooth enamel. So YEA for Straw Day!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I don't generally use straws, but I do have a straw dispenser with paper straws that's part of my coffee/hot cocoa bar. I love the idea of the glass straw that's reusable, in that you can see when it is clean. I don't like the feel of the metal straw.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. zinzilah

zinzilah One step at a time

I guess growing up in Soviet Union (no straws of any kind) meant that I have never been tempted, or rather when I was (as a small child) it was take a bread stick, bite both ends off, drink whatever and finish eating now softened slightly soggy bread ;) The most eco straw ever, right?

bestcee and honeyandcheese like this.
  10. IntenseMagic

Oh yeah, most definitely don't want to put my mouth on those cups lol

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

I had one of those random boxes forever, too! My kids used them when they were little, but not so much as they got older.

KimJ likes this.
  12. IntenseMagic

That's such a great idea to buy things here and there, planning for the future!

13. IntenseMagic

That's another issue I have with the metal straws...even though I clean them with the little brush really well, I still can't see if there's anything stuck in there :/ That's one of the reasons I thought about getting some glass ones, but they I'm not sure they'd be very practical to carry around for eating out lol

Karen likes this.
  14. IntenseMagic

I don't like the biodegradable or paper straws at all!!

15. IntenseMagic

I would like to have some longer ones. Most of the cups I use them with are really tall.

16. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I have a "thing" about plastic straws....I refuse to use them myself. I use metal at home in my brumate cup and the metal on metal doesn't bother me....and if I'm out, I do without a straw and even refuse it before someone puts it in my drink or on the table (since it'd go in the trash)....but, so many of the special needs people I work with need them (the metal or silicon don't work)....

My other big "thing" I have is plastic applicators.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. IntenseMagic

I'm not a fan of the metal straw feeling either...that and the whole not being able to see inside thing.

18. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I carry silicone straws in my purse all the time. I come home and put them right in the dishwasher so I know they are clean. I'm also one of those people that refuses straws if I am out and about.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  19. IntenseMagic

Have you tried the glass ones? I'm really curious if they break easily or not.
    And yes, I've had a few of my special needs students over the years that needed them. I have a big collection at work.

FarrahJobling likes this.
  20. IntenseMagic

I was looking at the ones with the carrying case while I was looking at the glass ones. I might need to try something like that!

FarrahJobling likes this.