Bathroom Sink

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Karen, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Lol... weird title for a thread I know, but I am planning to replace my bathroom countertop and sink in the next month or so. I currently have a green (gag) countertop and a hexagon shaped bisque sink with crumbling caulk. The drain plug is rusting out and the finish on the brass (gag) faucet is literally peeling off. It NEEDS to be replaced. I'm keeping the cabinet underneath because amazingly that is fine. We been in our house for almost 19 years now and I've hate that sink/countertop since we moved in, so now that it's falling apart I can finally justify replacing it.

All that to ask, what do I want for a countertop/sink? I only have one sink even though it's our master bathroom. What is better... a one piece sink and countertop (I feel like this would be so easy to clean) or an undermounted sink? Anything else new in the world of sinks and countertops that I should consider?

2. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I'm no help, but will be excited to see what you do.

Karen likes this.
  3. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I have 2 bathrooms with one sink pieces and countertops and I like them.

Karen likes this.
  4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i'll raise you a kitchen sink, i want a new one of those!

Anyway, for my 5cents, i somewhat regret our ensuite bathroom choice a few years back of 'square bowl' on a kitchen counter style of bathroom counter sink because i can't get my arm in to clean *behind* the sink/bowl; when it was flat to the bench (albeit i hated our maroon marble, more gag than your gag bench), i could at least clean behind the tap wear. We went for that bowl style because that meant it wouldn't hang down into the bathroom cupboard & compromise the storage space we value. We ended up with more curvy pipework under there so i don't know that we saved that much space in the end but i do love the new counter in there.

My other regret is the obvious old saying, it is so true that you get what you pay for -and we tried to renovate cheaply and found a 'deal' on a bowl sink but the enamel or porcelain or spray white paint whatever is so thin compared to our old namebrand sink; i can never get it as clean as the old one and the 'square corners' mean i can't really scrub into the corners properly and that's wear the 'i need cleaning' spots show first.

Karen likes this.
  5. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

all of my bathrooms are granite/sink in one.

Karen likes this.
  6. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

We just finished redoing our master bath counter and sink. The old counter was laminate and was lifting and peeling away. After doing a bit of research we ended up with a quartz counter top and undermount sink. I love the clean lines and haven't found any issues with cleaning so far, other than you they need to be cleaned with just soap and water. Bleach, ammonia, any of the common bathroom cleaners and even vinegar will destroy the protective sealant on the counters.

Karen likes this.
  7. Karen

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I hadn't thought of the corners of a square sink being harder to clean @bellbird and I'm glad you mentioned it because I was thinking the square would give me a bigger sink area and might be nice! I think I'll stick with round/oval.

@janedee Good to know on the cleaning of quartz too. We don't have any quartz or marble in our house (yet) and I wouldn't have thought of that. I probably would have cleaned it with the wrong thing right off the bat and ruined one! Eek!

I think I'm going to go look for ideas at Menards this weekend and see if any one particular sink/counter catches my eye. :agree

bellbird likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Random side note: I actually have a Menards now. Before I would have said "What's that?"

Also, if you have a Lowe's or Home Depot go check them out. Our Lowe's is clearancing out a bunch of last years model stuff especially the vanities with sinks included.

Karen likes this.
  9. bestcee

One of the first improvements we made when we bought our first house was to change out the kitchen sink. It made me so happy! We went with the taller faucet, and a deep two bin sink. I loved that sink.

So, I feel your pain!

Karen likes this.
  10. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

We are doing a major remodel right now. I've had both, all in one and undermount. I'm replacing with rectangle undermount because I'm doing quartz countertops in the powder and main bathroom, but my cultured marble all in one countertop/sink in the basement has been good too. It is easy to clean because there's no crevices to keep clean.

My kitchen sink is going to be a big single bowl undermount elkay quartz luxe sink. I'm so excited to not have the divider so it'll be easier to wash big pots and pans.

Karen likes this.
  11. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I've been wanting a new kitchen sink for a long time and I'm finally getting one. It's a single basin undermount Elkay quartz luxe sink and I can't wait for it to get installed.

Karen likes this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

:blahblahblahhmphi'm happy for you guys, really i am :wubb

13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

yeah, i still handwash some delicate stuff and the bigger area was a draw card too and the fact that i wouldn't really be leaning over it (b/c it was above the bench level but the raised sides and the fact that i'm short makes it a bit awkward and it's only in using it that i've found this out, i never thought of the possibility of it before we bought it & installed it obviously

Karen and bestcee like this.
  14. bestcee

Oh honey, don't worry - that was over a decade ago! I'm currently in a rental. With a sink that is gross and annoying :eyerolland the fixtures need to be rechalked and all the other issues that come with a really old house. Like, the cat can play fetch with herself because the floors are so uneven....:giggle

bellbird likes this.
  15. Karen

I actually have Lowes and Home Depot closer, but their selection is terrible. A friend of mine said the 25 minute trip to Menards is worth it to get their great selection. :agree

bestcee likes this.
  16. Karen

I am sensing the tiniest bit of sarcasm here. :rofl

bestcee likes this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Lol yep that's how I survive roll, that's how I roll

bestcee and Karen like this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Total silver lining!

bestcee likes this.
  19. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

We recently renovated all our bathrooms, so I can share what we did. After looking at EVERY example of in-stock counters and sinks at online stores and at Lowes & Home Depot and liking none of them, we ended up having custom ones made at a granite place. It was rather simple: we brought in paint, floor & cabinet samples and the rep literally brought us to the pieces that would work best, quartzite for one and quartz for the others. It was amazing how well they knew their stock! The whole process of choosing took less than 10 minutes. We chose under mount rectangular sinks, which I LOVE.

Yes, they were more expensive this way than via online or big box, but we got exactly what we needed: specs, colors, backsplashes, sinks. I'd do it this way all over again!

Karen likes this.
  20. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Wait! We’re supposed to clean the crevices???? :spin

keepscrappin likes this.