Get in the Picture | Document Your December 2020

Discussion in 'Document Your December 2020 Fun & Games' started by tkradtke, Nov 12, 2020.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

As the memory keepers of our families, it happens that we’re not always in the picture since we’re usually the ones taking the photos. But, we don’t always have to rely on others to make sure we’re in the photos though.

With my DSLR, I started with just propping it up and using the timer feature. We used this mainly to take posed family photos. Then a few years back I made a small equipment investment that changed everything. I started by purchasing an inexpensive tripod. I bought the Amazon Basics one and it’s perfect for what I use it for. It’s lightweight, folds up small and comes with a carrying bag. I just looked it up and I purchased mine in 2015 and have had zero issues with it. I also purchased a wireless shutter release remote compatible with my camera. The specific one I bought is not available any longer, but was purchased for less than $20.

This set-up changed everything. Set up your camera on the tripod in a place where it can capture the action and just randomly click the remote. My family loves to play with the remote as well, so it gets passed around and you never know when a candid might be taken. We also use this set up to take group photos. With my in-laws we always take a series of normal photos and crazy ones. They’re some of my favorite photos. My son loves to take charge of the remote and captures plenty for me to choose from for scrapping. Not Christmas, but here are some of the photos we captured this way at my in-laws’ anniversary celebration (my husband would call out things like “pretend to be asleep” or “look scared” so much fun!)...

[​IMG]

While I have no experience with products like this with using my phone’s camera, there looks to be several good options on Amazon. A quick search found this highly rated phone shutter release and Amazon Basics also has a phone tripod in their line as well. If you want to look at something a little more versatile to hold your phone, this Phone Stand Clip on Etsy is something I can’t live without. I have two myself and have purchased one for everyone in my family.

So, to wrap this up… timers are no additional cost and are included on your phone and/or camera. A shutter release remote and tripod is an investment, but will yield some priceless holiday photos! This holiday season, let’s all try to get in the picture!

2. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

A great reminder! For the past several years I have used the "interval timer" feature on my DSLR rather than using a remote. I must have had a faulty remote (or bad batteries?) because I would often have to reach my hand out and point it at the camera to push the remote. Not exactly the look I was going for! Now, I put the camera on the tripod and then set the camera's interval timer to take a picture every 10 seconds. We get some great candids and the posed picture we are looking for too!

HavaDrPepper and tkradtke like this.
  3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Oh! That's a great idea! And it's a feature that I didn't even know was an option! I'll have to go and look at the manual for my camera. Thanks for the tip!

plumdumpling likes this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Love this reminder! And I have the same tripod! I bought it after we moved and I couldn't find our old tripod. (Still can't, sigh.)

Anyway, I have these phone holders. I got them for DH to use while cooking since he doesn't print recipes and the angle is easily adjustable. But now you've got me thinking it would work for photos. Why didn't I think of that before?!

And now I'm off to get a phone shutter release. :) @plumdumpling I'm going to try the interval timer when we open presents. That'll give me a chance to really be present (HA, that pun wasn't on purpose) and not worry about the camera. And it sounds like both you and Tracie enjoy looking through the photos later because it's a surprise to see what was captured.

plumdumpling likes this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've had a tripod for many years. It is the best thing ever! I started using it when I had Pepper and Paige and would take their "barkday" photos. Put them on the piano bench and shoot away in continuous mode. Also used it a few times with the self-timer to take a "family" photo. Now that I have Peyton, I do the same thing. And, it gets used every July 4th to take fireworks photos from my driveway. Mine is a Targus brand but looks very much like the Amazon one.

I even have a mini tripod that I would use with my first Canon digital camera. Not sturdy enough for a DSLR but it is still useful if I don't want to pull out the big tripod with my small point and shoot cameras (I have 3 cameras).

Self-timer on cameras is wonderful as well. Mine has 3 settings: 2 sec, 10 sec or custom where you can choose the number of seconds and number of shots to take.

I'm a dinosaur... I still prefer a good camera to taking photos with a phone. My hands shake too much when using the phone as a camera.

6. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

It's like a timelapse! I bet you'll love it! Then you can watch in super speed!

Tree City likes this.
  7. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I have made more of an effort to be in the pictures the past few years. This year, I'm paranoid because I gained the Covid 19 and I'm pretty much at the heaviest I've been since I was pregnant.