Thanksgiving | What is your plan?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jk703, Nov 11, 2020.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Just asking around....

I'm in a conundrum with Thanksgiving. We have family coming from out of town. I see my parents periodically - like every 2-3 weeks. We are adding my uncle and his family. 1 from MA, 2 from NYC, and 3 from CA.

I am in the camp where we do try to keep our "social bubble" smaller... but we do go out and about, with masks and try to keep our distance. (TBH, distance is different for many, just like how masks are being worn). I just worry that I do my part, no questioning others or treat them differently.) You do you mantra...

in the last 6 months, we have traveled to PA, NY and even a theme park. My parents are also keeping a smaller bubble but they are out and about also, though not as far reaching as us. The other thing is - my kids go to school hybrid, and DH and I are still working out of the house. DH works for Verizon, and is in peoples homes and such. So, our bubble really isn't that small.

So, with out of town family, I suggested everyone get tested a couple days before we meet up for Thanksgiving. There will be 12 of us in total. Just as a precaution....

Do you think I'm overstepping?

Or...

What are your plans for Thanksgiving?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I will be in my own bubble. I'm having dental surgery next week and will be on a soft food diet so won't be able to eat any of the goodies anyways. And, since I'm having surgery, I want to stay away from people while I'm healing. And, the state of Ohio is having a horrible explosion of cases right now with my county being one of the worst. The governor is doing a statewide address to discuss what is happening in the state. Big question is will there be any sort of lockdowns that could impact the holiday.

bestcee and Cherylndesigns like this.
  3. jk703

Oh man, hoping your surgery goes well. Tooth and mouth pain are the worst for me to handle.

4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Well, I've been living with the situation of having no teeth at all for over 2 years. Dentures have not worked out for me so this is the beginning of the "end" and if all goes as planned, I will be able to eat normally by next summer.

Donitab and jk703 like this.
  5. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

@HavaDrPepper Good luck on the surgery, but yay to be "eat normally" by next Summer! woot woot!

If you are hosting I don't see how it should be overstepping to ask people to get tested.

We are going to a hockey tournament, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. So we will travel on Thanksgiving and have nowhere to eat!

6. jk703

I suggested it to my Mom... we are at her house. Waiting to see what she says to my testing question! It only benefits us all.... we shall see! *shrug*

Yay for Hockey... but maybe a restaurant might have a Turkey Day deal? Fingers crossed!

Dalis likes this.
  7. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

There's just six of us - Dh and me, son and daughter-in-law, daughter and son-in-law. Everyone with a job is working from home. We're gathering here at our house the Sunday before Thanksgiving. We have a huge family room that has a table & chairs. I have 2 card tables & chairs also. Each couple will have their own table to eat at. If the kids decide to do any games, they can mask up, sanitize their hands, and use the big table upstairs.

jk703 likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I don't think you are overstepping at all!
    It's usually just us at Thanksgiving and I make grazing food so when the kids have a break from going everywhere else they need to go, they can stop by here.

jk703 likes this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I hope your surgery goes well. I've had my share of dental surgeries/problems so I'll be sending special healing vibes to you. :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We're planning on having Thanksgiving dinner at our house. We don't have much room, but DH is cooking, so he got to call where we're eating. It will just be our oldest DD, SIL, and one of the grands. Not sure if SIL's brother and his wife are coming or not. Braden and Alyssa are flying back to Florida to be the other side of the family. Our typical holiday. Nobody else can afford the price-gouged Thanksgiving airline prices. :(

jk703 likes this.
  11. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Cases are going up here so they're asking that we don't mix households, but we are in the middle of a major kitchen, laundry, bathroom remodel so I won't have a way to cook or host Thanksgiving this year and we're hoping that someone in my husband's family will invite us to eat with them. Otherwise, we'll have to get it catered or skip it until the kitchen gets finished. They started the cabinet install today, but the countertops are 2-3 weeks out after they can come template them. Plus my appliances are still not here... DARN covid! I've been cooking in the instant pot and crockpot in a makeshift kitchen in the basement.

jk703 likes this.
  12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Normally my sister family comes to our house for the weekend and then my parents come over (they live 8 miles away) on Saturday to eat and hang out. This year, my parents aren't going anywhere because they have lots of health issues and are worried about covid. Then my county is exploding with cases right now and so is my sister's.... so we aren't doing anything at all. It stinks. To make it still be fun, my hubby suggested we do something a little fancier and have surf and turf (steak and lobster). Now I'm excited for that part... but I sure will miss seeing my sister and her family.

My MIL had surgery the day after the election, so she stayed with us at first and then my SIL and her son came to stay with her for a few days. We were supposed to do a thanksgiving meal with them last weekend, but then my youngest son got contact traced from a kid at school, so that was canceled too. We ended up just making the turkey and eating just the four of us and it was actually really nice.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't think you're overstepping to ask people to get tested. I guess it'll just be up to everyone coming whether they feel it's necessary and some might just not do it. So you'll just have to decide if you're okay with that. Around here it's taking so long to get results back that it would be hard to figure out how far in advance to even get tested to be sure to have results in time for a gathering. Blargh!

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Nope - not overstepping - this is the way things are right now. If they don't like it then they don't have to come. Sad but true - but it is for EVERYONE.

We have a coach SIL and with Covid, they started football season late so we are traveling to his house so he can go to football practice early on Thanksgiving. Thankfully, the other SIL was able to get his schedule switched around so we will will all travel 4-5 hours for our turkey. With a nurse, pharmacist, and two high school teachers, it will be a miracle if no one brings Covid, but I'm not giving up my kids and grandkids. We just try to be careful.
    My son in CA. will come home the week before Christmas so he won't be with us on Thanksgiving.

But I guess we need to pray for a Covid let-up for the holidays.

Cherylndesigns and jk703 like this.
  14. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

It's your home. Do what you feel most comfortable with. ;)

We'll be having Thanksgiving at my moms as normal (3 families together). We all live in the same town and see each other regularly. The covid numbers in our county are all staying pretty low.

jk703 likes this.
  15. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Besides one friend whom I've seen outside 3 or 4 times since March, the only people I'm spending time with are my parents, my sister, my BIL, and my nephew. They are the only people we spend holidays with, too, so our Thanksgiving (and every celebration we've had since March) will be the same as it always is. We'll have lunch together and then go back to our own houses.

My parents are retired, my sister and BIL and I are all working from home, and my kids are virtually schooling so we are all as safe as we can be. My aunt, who is also local, may attend and she does work outside the home but she works nights in a school (so there's no one else there when she's working) and lives alone so I feel like she's pretty safe, too. The only "wild card" is my nephew who is attending school in-person + goes to visit his father some weekends and his biological mother other weekends but I obviously don't have control over that and just have to pray/hope for the best.

jk703 likes this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

We are staying home and having just the three of us. Utah (immediate family) is horrible right now, and DH can't afford to be off work for two weeks if he was contact traced. Since he's an rn, we tend to weigh the community benefit/cost of having him out for two weeks differently than our friends and family.
    When we have visited family this year, we always assume the risk of the worst outbreak place that everyone is from. Idk if that makes sense, and I'm not sure how to explain better?
    Anyway. I have cousins and family close by, but the nature of their jobs, our current spread/hospital fullness, and some ages makes us uncomfortable meeting up with them this year.
    I don't think you are wrong to ask people to be tested. But I think you should decide how to handle it if they refuse. Or if they don't get results back in time. Would that change your plans?

jk703 likes this.
  17. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I don't think you're out of line asking everyone to be tested, especially after seeing this graph today (it lets you put in your gathering size and the calculates the likelihood of someone being COVID positive at your gathering). My kids will both test before leaving campus, but their schools constantly remind us that the test is just a snapshot of that particular time, so to continue to use other precautions as they may have been exposed prior to the test but not positive yet or could have been exposed after the test.

Our Thanksgiving will be small this year. Just the four of us. Both kids are coming home as their in-person classes end that week. They are both coming from hot spot states that will carry quarantine restrictions once they're in Chicago... so it really can only be just the four of us. I'm a little concerned about the exposure coming from my kids, but my son is in an off campus apartment and has a pretty tight bubble of friends he's been with since March. My daughter is more of a wildcard as she's in the dorms. She's being super cautious, but it's still not perfect given how closely she lives with other people (thankfully she lives on the nursing floor and they're all pretty cautious). I texted the kids last night if they wanted the traditional turkey dinner or something else and they've been busy texting back and forth about what they would like to make. We're just going to make the most of it and enjoy our laid back time together this Thanksgiving!

keepscrappin and jk703 like this.
  18. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I'm skipping the extended family gatherings for T'giving and Christmas this year and staying home with my DD and her three children. The older two no longer live here, but they visit often and are part of our bubble. Pretty sure I ticked my sister off when I told her I wasn't coming, but she'll either get over it or not.

She leans towards the "COVID isn't that bad", while I'm of the "better safe than sorry" mindset esp. since I work with our 92 y.o. father. Dad has said he's not going either. I did invite him to pop in and eat with us, but he decided he'd just rather me bring him a plate.

Rene, I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery is uneventful.

jk703 likes this.
  19. jk703

My mom texted back that she will bring it up to my uncle that is flying in from Cali.... It's spiking big here, but not like it was in March... It but it is on it's way to getting higher. We have lowered the curve a lot though I think even more restrictions are coming....

I think I have to weigh my parent's decision over mine. I know we are being safer than most and we are all out of the house. They are out of the house too. I am comfortable in most places. If my mom is comfortable with everyone coming, then so be it. I am a little concerned for them, not the rest of us who are younger. I can't dictate her choice.

I at least put it out there, and in case she was uncomfortable bringing it up, she can blame me, lol!

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

@tkradtke Thanks for the chart... While it's not bad (10-13%), adding people and where they are coming from changes it a bit, but also settles my nerves that it's not as high as I thought.

20. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

@jk703 I've been doing a lot of reading about how to do the holidays as safely as possible since we're going to try to see my parents and my in-laws at Christmas (my mother is a special high risk on top of her age). And so many sites reference air flow as key. I read one article about how to utilize your garage to hold your gathering as with the door up, it would allow for a lot of air exchange while still being protected. So just increasing air flow in the space you're in could help lower the risk as well. I found the info below on the University of Chicago Medical site and it has some good tips...

Q: What precautions do I need to take if I’m hosting an in-person holiday celebration?

A: If you’re going to be together without masks or social distance — and everyone hasn’t quarantined and limited their travel beforehand — then you’re putting everyone at risk. If you’re not sure your brother is really going to quarantine the way he says he’s going to, you can take some additional precautions: Have really good ventilation and air flow in the house and spend time in the largest room you can as opposed to smaller, confined spaces. Crank up the heat, open the windows and put the best filter you can in your HVAC system. An even better option is to socialize and eat a holiday meal outside. Whether you’re inside or out, keep people as far apart as possible and do that as much possible. Wear masks whenever you can. Make sure everyone washes their hands before they eat and have some hand sanitizer at the table if you’re using shared serving utensils or holding hands for prayer. Most of all, remember: If you really want to be protecting Grandma, the best choice may be not inviting her at all.

SeattleSheri and keepscrappin like this.