November Scraplift Challenge

Discussion in 'November 2020 Challenges' started by cfile, Oct 27, 2020.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Wow... It is November already!! A new month brings with it a new month of challenges!

I am honored to host the Scraplift challenge this month, and thought it would be fun to scraplift our very own Polly - Jenn (jk703)! The challenge is real simple!! Check out Jenn's fun gallery here, and choose a page to scraplift. I will say, it is going to be hard to choose just one page to scraplift, as there is a multitude of gorgeous pages there!!!

As I went looking through Jenn's gallery, I found this lovely page of hers called Gram Gram. I loved the clean and simple page, allowing the photo to shine through, with minimal papers and elements.

Jenn's page:

[​IMG]
    Here is my take and scraplift:
    20201101scrapliftJenn.jpg
    Remember our monthly challenge rules:

Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then linked to the November Challenge Layouts thread so it can be tracked, and to this thread.

The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a $50 gift certificate from the Lilypad! The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month; the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).

I can't wait to see which page of Jenn's you will lift, and hope her beautiful gallery inspires you!

Lmaggs, Vrielinkie, marijke and 4 others like this.
  2. chigirl

chigirl Candy Corn junkie

fantastic gallery...I chose this page, it's so eye catching and his smile just lights up his face

[​IMG]

and my page

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    cfile likes this.
  3. Event Horizon

Event Horizon Active Member

I chose this one, as I love how she changed up the template - I didn't even realize it was one I had until I checked the credits
    [​IMG]

Here is my take:
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  4. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

I chose this one:
    [​IMG]

And this is what I made:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    cfile likes this.
  5. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

My page:
    [​IMG]
    The page I scraplifted:
    [​IMG]

trekmom and cfile like this.
  6. Mama Shades

Mama Shades Well-Known Member

I adore Jenn's style! I plan on lifting this one:
    [​IMG]

7. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

I fell in love with this one and will use it as the basis for my scraplift:
    [​IMG]

And here's my scraplift:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    cfile likes this.
  8. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

my spot I choose this layout
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    cfile likes this.
  9. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

Here is the great page I will be lifting:
    [​IMG]

and here is my page:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  10. rlucasmn

rlucasmn Headed to Craigh na Dun... and beyond

Such a fun gallery - I'll definitely be back for inspiration. I chose this one:
    [​IMG]

And here is my page. I was inspired by the layers of vellum and how in sync the color tones were.
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  11. morgyns

morgyns Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Scraplift from
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  12. jjpederson125

jjpederson125 Well-Known Member

13. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

i am thinking of lifting this one but i dont know how to do the title like this as part of the photo. is there a tutorial somwhere or what should i google to find a how to video or instructions. i tried googling but i dont think i was using the right words to describe the title as part of the photo ? thanks for any help

[​IMG]

14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hmmm, this was part of an MOC post/challenge last year, I believe. I don't see that available in the forums right now. I think for my layout, I made my title, and rasterized it. I then placed it over my blank photo spot, and merged those two layers. Then I placed my photo on top, and clipped it to the combined photo spot/word layer. Does that make any sense? I can show you my layers later tonight. (I haven't been by my home computer yet from Friday!)

cfile likes this.
  15. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

@bjc I found detailed directions from @jenn mccabe that was a part of her original MOC post... I just copied the relevant section...

Now take a look at my image below. Be mindful that the full photo is the size of the entire image. There are two visible "sections" to this photo title idea.
    • Section 1: A photo in any shape you wish. It's a rectangle in this example, but it can be a circle, square, diamond, heart, etc.
    • Section 2: The photo title which must extend from the original shape.
    [​IMG]

There are so many ways to achieve this look on your page. So do what comes naturally to you. The key is to make sure your shape and your text/title are smaller than the full size of your photo! If you are looking for a little help with step by step instructions, my suggestion is below. This method allowed me to play around with the placement of the title/text and the photo to get the best fit.
    • Add your photo to your page. Duplicate your photo so you have two copies. Your duplicate layer will be above your original layer.
    • Create a solid/filled-in shape on it's own layer underneath the original photo layer. A rectangle shape is used in the example (Section 1 above), but feel free to use any shape you wish or even a mask. Make sure your shape is smaller than the full size of the photo. About half the size is a good rule of thumb.
    • "Clip" the original photo to the shape. To do this click, on the original photo layer. Go to Layer up in the menu bar > choose Create Clipping Mask. This will "clip" or mask the photo to the shape layer.
    • Type your text for your title in your preferred font on it's own layer directly under your duplicate photo layer. Move that text to align (and touch!) one of the edges of your shape. Feel free to use fonts, alphas (they should all be on one layer to making clipping to the photo easier), large word art, or a cut-out text file for your title if you wish! Remember, the title also needs to be smaller than the full size of the photo.
    • "Clip" the duplicate photo to the text. To do this, click on the duplicate photo layer. Go to Layer up in the menu bar > choose Create Clipping Mask. This will "clip" or mask the photo to the text/title layer (Section 2 above).
    • TIP: If you try to shadow the shape layer and the text layer separately you will probably have some weird results. So, if you'd like, you can merge all the layers and then add your shadow after you merge.
    Here are some visuals! Layer order should look like this:

[​IMG]

To "clip" a photo layer to the shape layer or text layer underneath it, make sure you click on the photo layer, then go up to Layer in the menu bar and choose Create Clipping Mask. Like this:

[​IMG]

Here's what the layers look like after you "clip" them.

[​IMG]
    Here you can see how my title aligns (is touching!) one edge of my rectangle shape. I used a Cut Out file from Scrapping with Liz's New Beginnings Cut Outs instead of typing my text. You can use whatever you want for your title as long as it connected to one of the edges of the photo shape. Here is the Cut File section of the store in case you want to search for some text for your title!

[​IMG]
    These instructions are for PSE/PS but these are basic scrapping techniques that I believe most programs can handle. Should you need additional help for your program - let us know what step you are stuck on and which program you are using. We will find someone to assist you!

Here is my page for this challenge.

[​IMG]

bjc and cfile like this.
  16. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

thanks Jenn :)

bjc and jk703 like this.
  17. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

thank you for the instructions. i will use on another layout cause i wanted to scrap now so i ended up with a different scraplift but will definately be using those directions. thank you so much . here is the layout i ended up making

[​IMG]

I just re did the above layout so i could coordinate with the layout i did for the inspiration challenge. here is the redo

[​IMG]

and here is the one i scraplifted

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  18. *sylvia*

*sylvia* Well-Known Member

thank you for the challenge

my page

[​IMG]

my inspiration

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  19. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

I chose to use this layout!
    [​IMG]

This is mine!
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  20. mywisecrafts

mywisecrafts Pollywog

Great Challenge..... I will be lifting this one!!! Have my LO almost complete. I loved the layers of paper and one photo as the focal point.

[​IMG]

H
    ere’s my LO. I used LBWs features product to complete.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    cfile likes this.