Rachel Jefferies Mixed Media Challenge September 2020 - Shadows

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by ArmyGrl, Sep 2, 2020.

1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Hi! Welcome to the Rachel Jefferies Mixed Media Challenge for September. This month’s challenge is to use shadows to give the illusion of depth to your layout.

But first, let us congratulate the winners from the August Special Edition Challenge:

Rachel was touched with all of your wonderful comments and best wishes and she was blown away with your talent, creativity and the diverse range of layouts created with the same kit! She couldn't resist picking three winners seeing as so many layouts were entered for the August Challenge!

Post numbers were chosen at random to each win a $15 coupon to Rachel's shop and the winners are . .
    Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 10.27.01.png

Post 64 - @busywoman139
    Post 40 - @mmbstaley
    Post 29 - @nfenchak

Congratulations!!! Rachel will PM the coupon to each of you.

September Challenge:

This month’s challenge is to use shadows to give depth, and therefore, a more “organic” look to your layout. To qualify for this challenge, you must use shadows at two different depths or more. For example, if you were to glue or sew a “flat” item, such as a journal card or paper strip onto a background paper, the shadow will produce a dark, flat, sharp line. That dark, flat line counts as one depth. Now, if you were to add a dimensional flower to the journal card, the flower’s shadow will be softer with less defined edges. That softer shadow counts as the second depth. Keep in mind, elements close to the background paper produce hard, dark shadows with well-defined borders. Elements further away produce softer, lighter shadows with less defined borders.

There are many ways to create the illusion of depth in your layout through the use of shadows. You may create a new “shadow layer,” then use the warp tool to create different depths to the shadow. You may clip a gradient to your element to give the illusion of depth. And, you can use the burn and dodge tools to give elements added shadow and light. These are Photoshop techniques; therefore, you are not required to use them. To qualify for this challenge, use techniques compatible with your software; BUT make sure you create the illusion of depth by using shadows at two or more depths. You are also welcome to create a hybrid project. You can create different shadow depths by using dimensional tape, glue, staples or stitching which will cause your elements to be at different heights from the background paper. You can also fold up a paper or element edge causing it to produce different shadows. Folding up a paper or element edge can also be created digitally by using the burn and dodge tools.

Challenge Requirements:
    • Create a page or project using shadows at two different depths (or more).
    • Your layout must be 100% Rachel Jefferies products; 90% must be currently available in her store. You may use up to 10% retired products.
    • Upload your layout to the Rachel Jefferies Designs Gallery at TLP and list the products used in your credits.
    • For your challenge entry to be counted, you MUST upload your finished layout to this thread. Please link your thread to your gallery image as it helps us leave love on your layout (and, validate your project).
    • For your challenge entry to be counted, you MUST describe (point out) two different shadow depths (or techniques) used in your project.
    • No double dipping…your layout must be used for this challenge only, no others.
    • You must create a new layout for this challenge.
    • This challenge closes at midnight 30 September 2020 according to the timestamp on your thread post.
    Prizes:
    • One lucky artist will be randomly drawn to win a $10 coupon to Rachel Jefferies store.
    • New Release Bonus Entry! If you use one of Rachel’s products released in September 2020 (a new release, M3, BYOC and even SOSN released in September 2020) you will get a bonus entry for a chance to win a $6 coupon (should you not be the $10 winner). Please let me know if you are eligible for the $6 entry by stating “New Release Bonus Entry” when you post in the forum.
    Good luck and I look forward to your shadows!!!

Armygrl—Lisa. Over the next three months I will develop and share shadow tutorials. The first tutorial, Using Shadows to Create Depth is located here in TLPs Learning Pad.
    Picture1.png

@ajm —Aly used the warp and burn tools. (Gosh, isn’t this a stunning layout!?! Aly truly nailed the illusion of depth. Her layout looks very organic and life-like.) (AJM) I-miss-you-800.jpg

@mcurtt —Marilyn, “I used Misc Collage Bits & Bobs 1 and The Path I'm On.
    I separated the shadows on my photo, the vine, the ribbon. I used burn & dodge on my photo, the vine, the flower.
    The photo was taken in Chicago, eight days before 9/11, on 9/3/2001. The word art "Things Stopped Being Easy" rang true...”

(I especially like the added depth Marilyn added to the vine by using burn and dodge. It’s those extra touches that make Marilyn’s layouts oh-so-FABULOUS!)
    (Mcurtt) Rachel-Jefferies_2020-09_September_Challenge_Shadows_web.jpg

Rachel Jefferies—Rachel, “ I stapled down my photo mounting at the top and side and so I warped the shadow in the bottom right hand corner. I stitched down the label and the paper ribbon so kept those shadows tight around the area where they are stitched down but warped the shadows on the right-hand side where they are lifting off the page. I kept the shadows on lower layers very flat, a flower and a label and the leaf to suggest they were glued down. My flower on the right-hand side that's exposed under the warped photo mount has a deeper shadow as there is more room there for the light to hit seeing as the photo mount is lifted off the page. I warped the shadows on the tails of the loose threads.”

Credit List:
    Mixed Media Monthly May 2020 (Template which I modified a little)
    Mixed Media Monthly July and Aug 2020 (Elements)
    The Path I'm On (M3 July 2020 Add Ons - Mixed Media Artistry, Paint and Solids from the Paperie pack)
    Messy Threads 3
    Messy Marks: Dates 2019/2020

(Rachel) rjefferies-finally.jpg

Dady—Geraldine used the Step By Step bundle and separate shadows on the butterfly and leaf.

(I love the shadows under the leaves. They give Geraldine’s layout a soft and feminine touch—it looks like I can reach right through my computer screen and touch those leaves. AMAZING!)

(Dady) rjefferies-stepbystep_Challenge.jpg

@cinderella --Cindy, "I played with the shadows of various pieces, like the card, the stitched banner, the brown tag with the string and the yellow paper piece above it, and the thread and yellow paper piece on top right corner.
    I used Fear Not: Bundle and Messy Threads 3."

(See what I mean by organic? This layout does not look digital!)
    rjefferies-Fear-not-Messy-threads-3.jpg

I look forward to your layouts this month. Please post questions below and tag me @ArmyGrl

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  2. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you Lisa for this challenge and your tutorials ♥️

[​IMG]

3. ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

mcurtt, ArmyGrl and Rachel Jefferies like this.
  4. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Woot! Woot! Congrats to the August challenge winners!!!!! @busywoman139 @mmbstaley @nfenchak
    Have fun shopping, ladies. :shopping

Here is mine again, clickable to read the credits, etc.
    [​IMG]

5. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

Oh my goodness - how exciting!!!! Thank you so much @Rachel Jefferies!!!

ArmyGrl and Rachel Jefferies like this.
  6. mmbstaley

mmbstaley Well-Known Member

ArmyGrl and Rachel Jefferies like this.
  7. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

8. ArmyGrl

Hello all. I updated the challenge thread with the link to the shadow tutorial. But, in case you missed that link, here it is again: Using Shadows to Create Depth - Shadow Layers

The tutorial is posed in the Learning Pad.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    mmbstaley likes this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Congrats to all of the winners!!!

10. Cherylndesigns

I LOVE shadowing and layering to add depth and dimension to my pages. I've used several on my page. Thanks for the challenge.

[​IMG]

mcurtt and ArmyGrl like this.
  11. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

Here's mine - I used differing size, distance, and opacity of shadows for my layers - underneath the photo the shadowing is different to the cluster on the photo which is different again to the butterflies shadow.
    [​IMG]

12. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

@ArmyGrl I always love your challenges. I'll be back. I don't work in PS, mine is in Artisan 5. Ok so with the torn papers, I used a light shadow for the yellow paper, on the blue I used a heavier shadow, flattened it and then added a little more to pop it off the paper more, for the journal tags they were shadowed so they would pop up more at the edge from being stapled down. I hope this is what you were looking for as I am limited with Artisan.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    ArmyGrl likes this.
  13. ArmyGrl

My greatest "fear" with this challenge is that those who don't have Photoshop may be limited. Photoshop is so diverse and has a multitude of ways to play with shadows. I am very ignorant of other platforms and I truly hope all will be able to participate.

14. Cherylndesigns

I use PSE and did the best I could in that. Your tutorial was wonderful!

ArmyGrl likes this.
  15. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Wonderful Challenge!...Before I Started Using Photoshop...My Shadowing Work Was Pretty Bad...But I Didn't Realize It...Until I Started Looking At Other People's Layouts...& I Got Some Help With Learning How To Shadow Properly From Some Of The Technique Challenges Here...So Now Hopefully I Can Say That I Now Know How To Shadow Properly...With Diverse Methods...Using Opacity,Blending & Glows...There Are Lots Of Various Techniques That I Used Here In My Layout...Shadowing Makes All The Difference In My Layouts Now...It Has Improved Them By A Mile...I Can Create So Much More & Achieve So Many More Looks Now...

*My Layout Today Is All About Making "Peace" With Your Younger Self...Learning How To Embrace Your Past...All The Good,The Bad & The Ugly!...We Are The Sum Total Of Our Past,Present & Future Selves...But Moving Forward Into The Future Requires You To Make Peace With Your Past Mistakes...And Hopefully Learn From Them...Heal & Move Forward...In A More Positive Way...So You Can Open Up Your Heart & Mind To More Of Life's Possibilities!...And Perhaps...Embrace A More Hopeful! & Positive Outlook Moving Forward Into The Future...The Green Leaves Loosely Represent Your Wings...To Fly Forward Into The Future...& The Arms In The Middle Look Like They Are Attempting To Holding Hands...So As To Embrace The Past With The Present...And Attempt To Move Forward Into The Future...With A Brighter Outlook For All The Possibilities That The Future May Hold...

*Everything In My Layout Is All Rachel's Except The Photos & The WA:I'll Find My Way:Created Using A PSE Font*

*For My Embracing The Past By Moving Forward Layout:

*Step By Step-Rachel Jefferies
    *We Are All Connected-Rachel Jefferies

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  16. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    I have smaller darker shadows on the papers, photos and sequins and lighter and fuzzier shadows in the flowers, foliage and butterfly so it looks like they are standing away from the background.

17. mmbstaley

mmbstaley Well-Known Member

The paper bits, flowers, leaves and the little butterfly have different shadows to reflect their size and relation to the background paper. I have to admit that Rachel Jefferies did most of the really great shadowing work on the page - I always love when digital pieces come with things like that already done!
    “New Release Bonus Entry”
    [​IMG]

18. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Fabulous tutorial and ideas Lisa!

Here’s a video tutorial by Cheryl of Fiddle-Dee-Dee designs that shows PSE users how to separate the shadow to its own layer so they can customize it. HTH

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    ArmyGrl likes this.
  19. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the interesting tutorials

[​IMG]

mcurtt, flowersgal and ArmyGrl like this.
  20. ArmyGrl

Yea! Thank you for the share.

keepscrappin likes this.