Air fryer suggestions?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by michele hillam, Aug 18, 2020.

1. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I am looking at an air fryer but not sure about which one to get (just me and my husband). I usually don’t like the results when they say “baked” egg rolls and they turn out chewy (from my regular oven). Do they really give better results without the deep frying? Anyone have some good recipes that they have had success with?

2. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

It is just my husband and I at home and we have a Philips Air Fryer. It is not a large one.
    I do our potato chips/wedges in it and that is the only way I cook them now... they come out just how we like - soft in the center crisp on the outside and you only use a drizzle of oil on them.
    We do not own a microwave oven so the Airfryer is my go to for heating up things - it is great.
    I do not have any recipes to share as I just use it like a griller or frypan at times... cook our thin sausages in it - cook small lamb chops.

3. michele hillam

Sounds delicious! Thanks!

4. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

We have the COSORI Air Fryer, Max XL 5.8-Quart, 1700-Watt Electric Hot Air Fryer Oven Oilless Cooker With Deluxe Temperature Knob Control, Nonstick Basket from Amazon. We have used it for bacon, bratwursts, hamburgers, zucchini, yellow squash, frozen sweet potato fries, chicken wings, etc. I hope you find one you like!

5. umyesh

Mine definitely crisps better than our regular oven because the basket leaves room for air to circulate.

cfile likes this.
  6. michele hillam

Thank you, it sounds like you use it often!

umyesh likes this.
  7. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I have a Ninja for just two of us and I love it! Honestly I use it most for cooking the dog's chicken breasts but I used it for chicken last night and salmon tonight. It gets things much crisper than the oven and keeps my stove top less greasy with less pan frying.

cfile likes this.
  8. umyesh

Every day! Unless I don't feel like cleaning it haha

michele hillam likes this.
  9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

It is just the 2 of us and we have a Ninja Foodie Grill that does Air Frying, smokeless indoor grilling, baking and roasting... We got it in January.. the Airfryer is fantastic... the crispness in the air fryer is perfect.. we use it all the time.. lumpia (like egg rolls) come out crisp and delicious, onion rings are wonderful and the grilling is superb.. the food remains moist.. you can take a chicken breast frozen to cooked in about 20 minutes and the meat is so juicy! (we got tired of buying BBQ's) .. I have not tried the baking or roasting feature yet, but will in the near future. The Ninja Foodie Grill was a little more expensive, but it does everything and we feel it was worth the price... we use it at least 3 - 4 times a week!! It cleans easily.. you can put the parts in the dishwasher, but I don't.. I hand wash it and the clean up is super easy... about 2 minutes :)

10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

ok. We have one... and I don't like the air fryer itself. So, because of that, I don't use it. DH will for wings and such. They turn out good, crispy and tasty. I'm always mixed up about temp/timing and should look for recipes, so I struggle with this and would need recipes.

As to why I don't like it... It's not how the air fryer cooks, it's the darn shelves it came with. I would suggest to get the ones that have a basket rather than the shelves. I understand the clean up is easier. I'm so wanting to sell mine and get a basket one! :giggle

cfile likes this.
  11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Wait... you can make bacon in an air fryer. I'm intrigued!!!

umyesh likes this.
  12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Get the biggest one your budget fits. Ours is on the smaller size and it is a pain having to do multiple batches to cook enough food for 4 people.

13. umyesh

Ours can only fit six slices or so but I love not having grease splatter all over the stovetop. It does get pretty smoky though. To cook a lot I use the oven and a huge baking sheet.

Karen likes this.
  14. umyesh

This is the worst part about an air fryer!

15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That's how I do mine to... in the oven. That one was a game changer when I learned you could do it that way without splatters everywhere and the whole package at once. But if just one person wanted a little bacon, that could be nice in an air fryer! My oldest would probably make bacon every day if that was an option. :giggle

cfile and umyesh like this.
  16. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

We bake our bacon too! lol! So yum. My fav is the peppered bacon!

Karen likes this.
  17. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

If you have an Instant Pot (or equivalent), you can buy an air fryer attachment on Amazon to convert it into one.

18. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I have a couple of them and I think the biggest issue is the cleaning! Look for one easier to clean. I really want the Cuisinart one that is a mini oven with one of the options being an air fryer, but I don't have the budget right now. LOL!!!

jk703 likes this.
  19. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

REALLY? I haven't heard of this!

20. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.