Masks | Pad Patter 6.28

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 28, 2020.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I don't envy those making the decisions. It is so difficult! I will admit to being nervous about going back to school. I'm not a young'un anymore and I have students that are probably not going to keep a mask on all day and keep their fingers in every body orifice. I love them and know they need in-person instruction, but it's scary. It's hard to know what is accurate and what is not, but I guess I would rather wear masks/shields, social distance, etc and be wrong than not to follow precautions and be wrong. We have a tentative plan, but there is a large group of vocal parents wanting kids back in school 5 days a week.

KarenB and AJK like this.
  2. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have a friend who teaches AP History in a private school and fall is set up for Zoom classes but split in half. So Group A has a Zoom with teacher, then while they work (?!?!) on their assignments she will give the same lesson to Group B. Fortunately, knock on wood, these are 8th graders whose parents WILL see that they do their work and all have homes which support on line learning. But they are teenagers, young ones so all bets are off.

However, my friend says she is exhausted just thinking of the going back and forth with each group. Her husband teaches at the USNA and he at least can prerecord all his classes and then Zoom with the class later to work on what they...lol...have done with what they watched. Still kids away from home though...

My friends know how fortunate they are not to be in f2f contact with students but at the same time that's what every teacher misses the most.

SeattleSheri and IntenseMagic like this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Our plan right now is an A/B split. Two groups with 2 days of instruction in person and 2 days virtual, with Fridays being reserved for cleaning, planning, etc. Teachers will be required to be there 5 days a week. I think it will work out ok for the kids, if they will give it a chance and the parents will be a little more positive. I do get that it's difficult for parents who work. I'm fortunate that my kiddo is old enough to stay home alone. But seeing as he lives with me, he might as well be there every day lol. I'm exhausted thinking about what the rest of the summer will look like with planning and preparing with no extra pay for it. And unfortunately, we have a large group of parents who are not supportive, can't/won't help. Then there's the group that has no access to internet. I don't know, it's a mess. I've saved up 180+ sick days, maybe it's time to start using them!

SeattleSheri likes this.
  4. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

Jan - I feel for you. Ontario school boards are still working out what they are going to do. We're suspecting a two days in school - 3 days at home routine. Many people are stressed about how this will play out.

My husband has been taking my homemade fabric masks in to the office as they frequently run out of surgical masks. He wears the fabric mask under a plastic face shield. He and his coworkers have all had positive reviews.

For the sewists - here's the pattern. It's got the nosewire, and I've been making straps that go around the back of the head, which we all find way comfier than around the ear.
    Size wise: Husband wears Adult Large, my teen daughters and I all wear Adult Regular, however I cut the elastics for me at 9 inches, everyone else's at 8. (I have a large head. I'm one of those people who can't find hats that fit.) The "teen" size I think really fits tweens better. It was tight on my 12 year-old.

[​IMG]

https://sweetredpoppy.com/how-to-sew-a-fitted-fabric-mask/

Iowan and cfile like this.
  5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@IntenseMagic I heard that! Husband is really a businessman/pastor who because of 6 yrs of surgeries in prime years has had a hard time being seen as valuable by very young people who are doing the hires. So ended up with a teaching job two years ago. It was Bible, so not a problem. But last year it switched to Spanish ( we both graduated from a Language Institute and are native speaker fluent, lived in Mex & Honduras, blah blah.) His first year of teaching HS Spanish was disastrous! I taught it for 5, and tried to help him. THAT was interesting. :circles The school is private, and yes, entitlement attitude is widespread. hmph So the apathy he dealt with in person was a walk in the park THEN schools closed. With a whopping 4 day notice and NO plan. The most effective method for language acquisition is immersion with Total Physical Response. Just TRY and do that online with only 20% of your students showing up- and not consistently at that. Recipe for failure. And another thing- it is not right that the news is touting this virus like it is- it is skewed. Our state is getting a bad rap right now, but I LIVE here and I can tell you that there are only pockets of outbreak, but everyone in the state is being branded.:banned Me, I'm annoyed at the whole thing being handled in such a ridiculous manner. People die from pnuemonia, [I've had it and it was rough for 6 weeks!] flu, and other viruses but we don't wreck society and inflict outlandish requirements upon unaffected people! With the available testing, this should not be. Masks won't fix this, common sense and logical thinking with equitable action such as isolating vulnerable will. Why such a strong response from me? Because in addition to what I've already stated, we've waited since February to complete a contract for hire in TN. We were to travel there TODAY. Car was rented for us and we were waiting for arrival. Then we learned it was cancelled. WHY? Because all hires are now postponed until August. WHY? covid. WHY? Because August is a magical month??!! Oh, nobody asked if he was tested, or willing to be tested.:nuno He was just in the ER last week due to severe headaches, and NO symptoms nor concern about him having virus- it was sinusitis and it is documented!!!!! This is madness!:madness:banghead Since when do we operate on conjecture? :banned Ok. I better stop. LOL. I care about you all and do want you to be safe.

Julie @Juliestcyr it looks like you are doing a good job. Way to go seamstress!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    patsyt, IntenseMagic and Juliestcyr like this.
  6. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Amanda! You echo my thoughts pretty much exactly...CMD+J !!!!!

If this is the pattern for the WORLD, we will have to isolate every fall...running thru the rest of the year, because The virus is always going to be out there, and when we've become herd immune to it, there will be another, and another and another....... The huge majority seems to be okay with it, and I trust the Lord is in charge of even this for our greater good, but I pray for the aha moment in the flock, when they realize the next step is going to be over the cliff.

patsyt, AJK and IntenseMagic like this.
  7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I've been making them for the Million Mask Challenge - VA/MD/DC (over 350), but I don't have a favorite since I've given most of them away. I had an incredible fabric stash that I was wanting to get rid of, so it just made sense to use them for charity. I did purchase some inexpensive ones from Target, but they're hard to breathe through (they keep getting sucked into my nostrils as I breathe. Very annoying.) I hate wearing any of them because they fog up my glasses and the elastic ones get caught in my hearing aids.

LynnG likes this.
  8. QuiltyMom

I cut a disposable mask apart after it couldn't be used any longer, and they used plastic twist ties in it. That's what I'm going to try.

BevG and AJK like this.
  9. QuiltyMom

I only wear a mask when I'm inside and/or standing in line where I'm around other people. Otherwise it's off. I suffer from asthma and mask wearing makes it very hard to breathe, especially when I'm breathing in all the stuff my lungs have exhaled. But I do it because it's required. I figure wear the mask when asked, wash hands and sanitize those things that need it and I'll be okay. I've also never worn gloves. I've been on airplanes, visited the dentist and eye doctor and rheumatologist, taken daily walks to the local nature center and been around others outside without masks, been to the beach, shopped when needed, and have gone about my normal business since the whole thing has started and I've been fine. I'm considered high risk due to my asthma and other autoimmune diseases, but I refuse to be cooped up and wear a mask 24/7 (I can't tell you the amount of people who have told me to stay inside and NEVER leave until there's a vaccine. Seriously?) But I would never tell someone what they should do because it's all where people are comfortable, which is the most important thing of all.

Unfortunately, the surgical ones still fog up the glasses, even with the wire nose piece. I have a box of them that I use for working out in the yard during pollen season and I always leave my glasses off. The only way I've found to keep the glasses from fogging is to have the mask high on the nose bridge and the glasses set down as far as possible on the mask to still be able to see. It's such a pain. Someone told me to rub baby shampoo on the lenses and let it dry to keep the fogging away, but then you'd be looking through soap film. Sigh.

patsyt likes this.
  10. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Not everyone will love Sheri's brain dump, but I've done so much research on the topic and I'd love to share my findings. I mostly get my information from the medical journals and studies (these are not political views - so I would really appreciate people not taking it there). I am happy to share my sources if anyone is interested.
    • Our current best guess is that the fatality rate is around 1.5%
      • This is determined from serological studies i.e. the presence of antibodies (not country, state or county reporting) and modeling based on what we know, which means there is no inflation or under-reporting
      • Put another way ... for every 67 infections (whether they are confirmed or not), there will be 1 death
      • Based on symptomatic and asymptomatic cases
      • 50-100 times more fatal than the flu (dependent on the seasonal virulence of the flu - the flu hovers around 0.1% using the same methodology with serological studies)
      • Is far lower than the 4-5% we see in our reporting because it considers those that are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic who aren't tested
    • COVID19 is very infectious
      • Can be transmitted via aerosols (small microparticles that stay stagnant in the air after the person has left the area)
      • It will continue to penetrate new communities until it has hit every nook and cranny until herd immunity is achieved, either through infection or vaccination
      • Long term immunity is unknown - though it's not looking promising that people maintain immunity for long after infection :(
      • The flu has is R1.3 - which is to say for every person with flu, they typically infect 1.3 people, whereas if protective measures aren't taken, each person with COVID19 infects 3-6 other people
      • Whether you've been previously impacted is not a predictor of whether you will be impacted in the future, so resist the urge to throw up your flag claiming your typical routine won't get you exposed
    • As of today, at least a half a million people have died of COVID world-wide - about 135,000 deaths in the US alone
      • These are new deaths that would not have occurred but for COVID
      • For the US, this equates to enough people to fill two entire football stadiums
      • COVID is not competing with other illnesses, it's joining forces with them, so comparing them is not meaningful
      • People are far less likely to seek care for any reason right now, so this is impacting the fatality and mortality rates of other illnesses too :(
      • While the death rate may not be precise, they are still telling us this is a nasty illness
    • There is no guess work involved in what it looks like when you don't impose protocols to reduce spread - Sweden took this approach, so we know how it plays out ;) I hope other countries (including the US) learn from them
      • Very high fatality rates (deaths / infections)
      • High mortality rates (death / population)
      • Decimated economy despite not closing businesses
    Stay safe and healthy!

11. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Thanks for including pics. I may try these. I made masks for my family back in March - but did the pleated style. They are ok, but probably not as fitted as they need to be and not super comfortable.

Nemla likes this.
  12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Thanks, Sheri. I respect all your effort. Your area was really hit hard and I am certain that was impacting. I agree to disagree and will stand with the peace in my heart over the fear that is promoted. No doubt about it being a "real virus" but the "facts" have changed repeatedly as has the treatment and "mitigation". My pastor's wife is an L.P. and a close friend is a surgeon as well as having convos with husband's Dr. ; they too share our convictions. Let's see where the "facts" are in a year. Then we will know how accurate they were. As my son says "Peace Out". :agree

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    patsyt likes this.
  13. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

QuiltyMom said:
    I cut a disposable mask apart after it couldn't be used any longer, and they used plastic twist ties in it. That's what I'm going to try.

That's what I am doing - with the soft elastic too- to add to the ones I am making from silk for us to wear in the museums when we travel. Silk is excellent in that it has electrons that capture things when you breathe, and the breathability factor is the best available! That is key because I tend to hyperventilate with things on my face, and hubster has asthma like yourself.

Exactly! That is the mutual respect I referred to earlier in this thread. We are seeing that in our community and it warms my heart
    .:heartlub

QuiltyMom likes this.
  14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Masks are incredibly hot to wear when it is 90+ and humid outside. Ask me how I know....

LynnG, Nemla, patsyt and 1 other person like this.
  15. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Ok, how do you know??? lol. I was glad our trip to historic Camden was fully outdoors- cos it was 100 degrees and I can't imagine a mask then.

16. SeattleSheri

Amanda, I do appreciate your perspective as well. I think it's always good to continue to look at things from all different angles. I wish we could fast-forward a year and have that knowledge now, wouldn't that be powerful? I truly would like nothing better than to find out everything was over-stated and we could resume some normalcy! Seriously, that would be a dream come true!! :heartlub

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    KimJ, KarenB and cinderella like this.
  17. QuiltyMom

And, unfortunately, they're less effective when they get damp from humidity, sweat, and our breath. I heard of people fainting while wearing them at amusement parks. But soon this all will pass...

AJK likes this.
  18. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Love that last line. I think we forget that. My grandfather used to say that often. :D

QuiltyMom likes this.
  19. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

:bk:heartslubMay you soon have that peace!:hammock

20. SeattleSheri

Asking for a friend. Who the heck is going to amusement parks during a pandemic, lol ... sigh. Seriously though, I thought they were all closed. Even a damp mask is better than no mask. There is some pretty easy problem-solving that helps people overcome damp masks. 1. think of them like underwear ... have more than one and change when appropriate 2. avoid situations that will make you uncomfortable if you have a low tolerance ...

Tree City likes this.