Masks | Pad Patter 6.28

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 28, 2020.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Everyone having a good weekend?? Raining and kind of dreary today, so I've been doing some surfing around. It looks like we are going to be going back to school on an A/B schedule, with different groups of kids coming on different days. At least that's where it seems to stand right now. I also believe that we will have to wear masks of some kind. I have a mask, but it's not all that comfortable and don't think I could wear it all day long. I'd like to have some different ones to change it up. So, what I'm wondering is...if you are wearing a mask, have you found a really good one?

bellbird likes this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh geez I think they're going to be around for a long time. i hate them! I have chosen to stay in (except for my dog walks around the block two or three times a day) since March 13th to NOT have to wear one! We finally got some N95's and they're not too bad. Of course, I've only had one on to "try it out". It's so hot where I live anyway that they're just going to add to the joy. I'm going to have to break down and go out and will have to wear one. UGH

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I got some from Gap and Old Navy that I like. They shrunk in the dryer but not horribly. DH's mom made us masks, but they tie, which is a PITA for the kids (don't stay on well) and for DH and me (we wear glasses; the thick handmade bias tape doesn't play well with glasses). The ON and Gap have elastic around the ears; to make it more comforatable, DH crocheted these ear savers: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mask-mates-ear-savers

ETA: This probably isn't a solution for school, so you and I can't do it at work, but I like a bandana mask. I like how it's longer, which I feel is better--my breath goes down towards my sternum instead of to the sides of my face (like a regular mask), where other people may be standing. Not that fashion should be the main goal of a mask, but Nancy Pelosi has had some pretty scarf masks. I keep meaning to go through my scarves so I have pretty options for when I finally leave the house lol!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

The masks I wear at work are insane... n95 (true, not the Kn95 or other knockoffs) with a level 1 or 2 surgical mask OVER top that gets changed out after each patient (to keep my n95 clean, since we have to reuse them due to no availability to purchase- even for dental supply companies! I'm actually down to just one left... not sure what I'm going to do after next week (it'll be the 5th week I've used it & supposedly not good after that, but who knows these days with so much conflicting information out there.)) So just wearing a level 1 surgical mask around town is a breeze for me. I guess it's just what you're used to...

I have worn the level 1 surgical mask everywhere in public & make my kids wear them too. I figure if they are used to wearing them throughout the summer, hopefully by school time it wont be as big of a deal as a lot of parents are making it. I also have an asthmatic son- and he breaths just fine in his mask. :eyeroll

5. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I raided my quilting stash to make dh and I the fitted style of mask with a wire nose insert and elastic and find them more comfortable and better fitting than the folded style. DD made some that tied in the back but they take much longer to put on and take off.

Juliestcyr and IntenseMagic like this.
  6. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I don't work and I don't use public transportation anymore, so I only wear a mask while shopping. In my country the situation isn't really bad thanks to early lockdow. I have made one for me, one for DH and one for DD just for fun (she's 4, toddlers don't wear masks at school, only their teachers). My sewing skills are rusty and I prefer scrapping over sewing, so I only have one. I always have time to wash and iron it between shopping trips. I don't know if it protects me and the others or not, but it's "fun" walking around in disguise! I made this page, and my personal journaling reads: Here I am, ready to go grocery shopping. Or rob a bank!
    [​IMG]

7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I found an old square bandana and followed the instructions on Colin Hanks (Tom Hanks son) IG to make a mask in the beginning. Because it was folded and several layers think, I had problems breathing. I used it when I didn't use the fun fur scarf I wear with my coat all winter long.

I have a college friend that is a seamstress on the side and she showed a photo of herself in a mask when she went back to work the beginning of May (when offices could open in Ohio). I casually told her I'd pay for her to make me one. Without saying a word to me, she sent me one and won't take payment! It's pretty and has my favorite color of purple in it. But, as with any mask, I have problems breathing and the problem of the eyeglasses.

I don't go out often but since I live alone, I do have to make the grocery runs. I have been going in the early morning to the smaller local grocery instead of Wal-Mart and it isn't as busy. I do wear my mask. I was in there Friday (forgot milk at Wal-Mart the day before) and I was the only customer. I still wore my mask. I do go to Wal-Mart about every 2.5 to 3 weeks to get those items I can't get at the grocery. I still go earlier in the day when it isn't as busy but I learned a couple weeks ago to avoid it on Friday mornings. Way too many moms with small kids and no masks for my liking.

Other than a doctor appointment last week and the grocery, I pretty much stay home except for walks with the dog in the neighborhood... although some gal yesterday that I was passing on my walk (no sidewalks so on street) wouldn't hold her dog back and she came right with it wanting to talk. Ummmm.... no. #1 I'm allergic to all things poodle which is what she had and #2 doesn't she know what social distancing is? I told her I was allergic to her dog and got out of there fast as I could. Today I saw her about 20 feet into a yard across the street with her dog talking to the lady that lives there who was trying to mow and she was right up into the lady's face.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

IMG_20200504_211700.jpg 11613711926371a-1000x1136.jpg IMG_20200523_113433.jpg I have sewn some, ( lots of patterns on the internet ), The ones with the middle seam are by far the most comfortable to wear. I also have a face visor, not pretty, but far more comfortable to wear , especially in shops , because the masks can make your glasses steam up if worn a bit to high on the nose, and that is so annoying if you are trying to read lables or sell by dates. The visor only protects others, no you so much....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

I hate them, too, but I guess I'm going to have to get used to them. I have worn one the 2 or 3 times I've been to WalMart, but always rip it off as soon as I hit the parking lot.

AJK and Cherylndesigns like this.
  10. IntenseMagic

I was looking at Gap and Old Navy today and wondering if they were good ones! Thanks for that!! I really like the scarf-like ones that you can wear around your neck and pull up if you need to. I have a couple of those in my Amazon saved list. There are some really pretty ones. My only concern with those is that I do not like stuff around my neck lol. I don't even like to wear shirts will collars because I don't like the feeling. I might get one and try it to see if it bugs me all day.

kimingvtx and Tree City like this.
  11. IntenseMagic

I feel for you guys that have to wear those all day every day. My kiddo is a lot better about wearing his than I am about wearing mine and he fusses if I don't have it on. I can totally see the kids making them in to a fashion statement lol. The negativity that I'm seeing from some parents is really kind of bothering me. I feel like we set the tone for how the kids are going to feel going back and if we present it in a positive light, they will be more positive about it.

bestcee, bellbird and amien1 like this.
  12. IntenseMagic

That's so cool. I wish I had sewing skills or at least a machine to try. I definitely need the nose insert. The one I have does not have it and it pokes me in the eyes.

13. IntenseMagic

Oooh that is so pretty!! I love it!! DS and I had to go in to the bank last week and I commented how funny it felt to walk in to a bank with a mask on lol.

cinderella likes this.
  14. IntenseMagic

So nice of your friend to do that!! I try to time my grocery runs when there are very few people there. I go to the my local store as well and it's always far less crowded than WalMart. Every time we get in the car, my son asks if I have my mask. He says "We don't want to make 'Aunt Judy'" sick or die." We don't really have an "Aunt Judy", it's just his term for everyone older that we might come in contact with. :giggle

bellbird likes this.
  15. IntenseMagic

Right now is when I really wish I had a sewing machine! When I was looking around today, I was wondering if they would make us wear the face shields instead of masks. They haven't really said anything yet. I can imagine that having your glasses always fogging up would be super annoying!!

Nemla likes this.
  16. Nemla

Jan, Don't get any that you have to keep pulling up, like the scarf type, If you keep having to touch your nose/ mouth cover, that also means you are touching your face. Once the mask is on, leave it, on and of increases your risk significantly, because unless you wear gloves, and keep changing them , you can pass the virus directly to your nose/ eyes.

julianz likes this.
  17. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Lucky you!! We have not been allowed inside a bank in months. As you can guess the drive lines take forever to get through now. You can go inside if you make an appointment.

AJK likes this.
  18. IntenseMagic

Ours opened like 2 weeks ago, I think. All Chance wanted for his birthday last week was money and to go to the bank and open an account with a debit card, so I was glad they had opened.

19. Nemla

Ditto here, very few branches are open. The ones that are open do not allow masks, it has to be a face shield .

cinderella likes this.
  20. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I made each of us masks for those store trips, etc. However, DD has to wear one all the time when she goes back to college. The only exceptions are the cafeteria and dorm rooms. So we went fabric shopping yesterday so that she can have a different mask for each day. We got 7 different fabrics in lovely and fun patterns.

Mine are the fitted, seam down the middle ones, with a pocket for a filter. I am using the inside filter from vacuum bags as they are close to the N95 in filtration. I have a bunch and no longer have a vacuum that uses them. However, for her school masks we decided to just use the interfacing as a filter. She will wash them each day.

I got some plastic coated electrical wire for the wire over the nose. We have not tried it yet to see how it feels, but it is certainly stiff enough. Another option would be using several strands of floral wire, twisted together. I want something plastic coated because my current one is not and it rusted when I washed the mask. My current one is below.

IMG_20200414_130220_664.jpg

Memaw2Wm, IntenseMagic and Nemla like this.