2pm - Shadows 101 and 102

Discussion in 'Challenges for 24 Hour World Connectedness Event' started by norton94, Mar 31, 2020.

1. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

Have you ever wondered how to make touchable elements on your page? Shadows are definitely the answer! When you do some thinking about what's on top, where is the light coming from, how thick is the item and how high off the page is it sitting... then you can shadow realistically!

Shadowing 101 is a flat shadow. It does wonders. You can use styles to accomplish these.

Shadowing 102 offers more depth. See the difference from Peppermint's blog example? The one on the right feels much more real, right?
    [​IMG]

I'm suggesting checking out Peppermint's (One Little Bird) and Krista's (Sahlin Studio) amazing tutorials - both amazing with slight differences. These taught me so much back in the day and changed my pages for the better!​

Both of these ladies offer shadow styles to purchase too. These can simplify your basic workflow for the Shadow 101 part... for sure.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

As well as this one by Sabrina's Creations and this one by Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

As part of the retirement sale (ends today) Mommyish has these shadow styles on sale
    [​IMG]

And these Shadow Actions too
    [​IMG]

because Leah now has these newer sets:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some people noted they use Cheryl's (Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs) templates or Lynn Grieveson's Scrappable Stackables with Dynamic shading, or they have moved the cool shadowed layers into other templates to help the look
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here are some additional shadow tutorials
    Christa has this accordion frame tutorial for PS CC as well as PSE
    Farrah recently (sorry) taught the technique in a Technique Slow Scrap here
    Judie taught how to make patterned alpha shadows here
    Nicole (NBK-Design) did 4 tutorials on shadows for last weeks chat. HERE

If you decide to save some of your own shadow styles - here is a great tutorial about management of those!

Finally this is the other tutorial I mentioned during the chat for fixing photos with noise. Thank you Krista Sahlin!

Your challenge is to scrap a page with at least one item treated with a warped or dynamic shadow. Please share below :) There is no deadline - this is just for fun during our extra free time.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    amien1 likes this.
  2. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

My warped shadow is on the string. I've "lifted" it from the page slightly in a few places to make it more authentic. The rest of the page uses a combination of shadow styles from Mommyish's new set (linked in credits).

[​IMG]

norton94 likes this.
  3. justPattyAnne

justPattyAnne Active Member

norton94 likes this.
  4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

would using items from one of Lynn's Scrapable stackables count?

5. norton94

Love this Heather!

Super big thanks! I'll add this to the top post:)

For the challenge if your software permits try and do the technique - or modify to your software limitations. If you use PSE try the one Christa posted (see top post). If not then yes of course please show what you can do with the more pop of realism :)

6. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

7. norton94

Yes you nailed it!

8. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

[​IMG]
    I warped the shadows on the paper circles and word strip. Thanks for the chat and challenge! :agree

norton94 likes this.
  9. norton94

Aw what a cutie - her hair is brilliant! I love the big bg photo and the little circles and title are so perfect. Great job with the technique!

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

thank you for the chat.

I got stuck with the balance on this page, and left it for a few days. It went together nicely for me when I revisited it this afternoon.

I adjusted the shear on the shadows for the Ups and Downs title and the leaves. Other fancy shadows are from the scrapable stackable.
    [​IMG]

norton94 likes this.