Question-Windows 10 viewing "folder" images

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by LynnZant, Feb 18, 2020.

1. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

I can no longer look at a folder and see the jpeg preview image named "folder." It's there on a few folders, but not many. I'm a visual scrapper and can't even choose a template because I can no longer see inside each folder. I've checked, and the "Always show icons, never thumbnails" and "Always show menus" boxes are unchecked as per all the tips on the web. What am I missing?

2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Has your computer done a windows update recently? maybe something changed with that if an update has occurred

3. bbachand

bbachand Well-Known Member

@LynnZant I'm not sure if this will help but look at the bottom right corner of your screen while in your folder and there will be two little squares that allow you to see either information about the files or large thumbnails. I wish I knew how to always designate large thumbnails all the time, but I don't. Maybe someone else can help with that.

edit: After rereading your post, I'm not sure this is what you're looking for. I am also interested in the answer to your question.

4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Doesn't work for me so I never keep the folder images anymore and honestly, it didn't work in previous versions either. It has always been hit or miss for me. I also haven't used Windows explorer to find things for many years because of it.

bestcee likes this.
  5. LynnZant

@bbachand The bottom button didn't change anything. @littlekiwi I'm not sure if there was an update that changed it or not. I just finished putting my files on my new machine from data recovery two Fridays ago. It's been a bit overwhelming for me, so maybe it was like that from the start. But, I do know that "folder" images worked fine on my Windows 7 machine.

6. LynnZant

@HavaDrPepper Is there something better I should be using to view my stash?

7. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@LynnZant - can you post a screen shot for us so we can see what you're seeing so we can better help? You can use the upload a file button below in the reply.

8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I have a process since I hate looking at the manilla folders, lol!

Here's the original post: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/folder-view.52585/

My posts within that thread:
    Not sure if these will come through.
    The image just in case.
    [​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  9. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I'm on Windows 10 and mine still work fine. It shows as an open folder with most of the folder.jpg image showing. I'm assuming that's what you are expecting?

I did a little googling and found one forum discussion that said some programs (like Windows Media Player) will auto-hide folder.jpg files. I've never run into that and I don't know why in the world they would do that, but if you compare properties of the folder.jpg in one that is displaying properly and one that isn't, are they different? Is the one that's not working hidden?

I also found something about the thumbnail or icon cache getting corrupted. Maybe one of these would help?
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5655-clear-reset-thumbnail-cache-windows-10-a.html
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5645-rebuild-icon-cache-windows-10-a.html

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

The program I use instead is no longer available so it wouldn't be of any use to you. It is Picasa formerly from Google but they did away with it several years ago. I've guarded the program installation file (have it backed up in several places) so that I can always have it for my scrapping needs. I've looked at some other programs but haven't found anything that works like Picasa that suits the way I scrap and that includes Adobe Bridge.

11. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Just a thought, I had to go and see if my kit were inside another folder. when extracting, some times it will be
    kit elements inside a folder that is name of kit. I now use EXTRACT now little thing I downloaded. I store my paper folders inside the elements. If I can see the elements, it helps.
    I confuse myself rereading this, but maybe it will help?

12. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@jk703 Jenn, I followed your instructions last year and I really like doing that with all my kits. I am on Windows 7 and after one update my icons disappeared so I had to do them all again. But the icon images were still in the folders so I had to just to do the go to "properties" - customise - change icon

@LynnZant Sorry to say Lynn, you may have to do them again too like I had to.

jk703 likes this.
  13. LynnZant

Windows 7 seemed to just recognize any jpeg titled "folder" as the image to display. Icons are something I'll have to research and learn about. Anyway, here is my screen shot. . .or not. I don't see an "upload a file" button @keepscrappin .
    I'll have to come back to this tomorrow when I have a bit more energy.

jk703 likes this.
  14. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@LynnZant Have you tried resetting to default. I find these instructions when I did a google search with your problem:

Restore File Explorer Options to default
    Your File Explorer settings are usually the cause for this problem, but few users claim that you can fix it by resetting these settings to default.

This is rather simple and you can do it by following these steps:

1. Open File Explorer Options. For detailed instructions on how to do that, check Solution 1.
    2. When File Explorer Options window opens, click on Restore Defaults button.
      [​IMG]
    3. Navigate to View tab and click on Restore Defaults button. Now click on Apply and OK to save changes.
      [​IMG]
    After resetting File Explorer Options to default settings, the problem should be resolved completely

keepscrappin likes this.
  15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yeah, that hasn't worked for me for years. I haven't tried lately. I'm working on organizing my stash in ACDSee, but I know many don't want an additional program. I like being able to tag a kit with a theme. I've also done Jenn's way above and it works well! Just takes some time.

jk703 likes this.
  16. LynnZant

Thanks @A-M but it didn't work. I get support with the cloud package that I bought from Microsoft, so I should take advantage of it and call if I get time today. It's just weird how some folders show and some don't even from the same designer, so it's now how they are creating their previews. If Microsoft doesn't have an answer, I might have to go Jenn's route and make icons. Oh, that's gonna take forever!

Thanks everyone!

LoveItScrapIt and jk703 like this.
  17. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

In the meantime, you could have a separate file explorer window and just do a search of folder.jpg from whichever folder you need to find something in. You'd have to navigate to the folder rather than just click through though.

18. jk703

To make the task less daunting, do it in spurts. Any new products you buy, and then do 3 more folders. Then follow that or just put 15 minutes aside to do a few folders a day.

Be warned, if you move the file or change it, the icon will revert, but you will have the icon saved in that folder, so you can easily change it again.

bestcee and A-M like this.
  19. LynnZant

@fruitysuet Thanks, Suzzane! I didn't think of that. I will have to do that.
    @jk703 I love how your icons look, Jenn, but to do it for 500GB of folders. . .
    I did some research to no avail; however, you said something Jenn that got me thinking. I did rename the folder that contains all my scrap supplies when it finished going to the cloud (that took nine days), so I wondered if things got corrupt when I renamed it because I'm pretty sure it worked before. (Things are a little blurry after my hard drive failed.) I read somewhere about someone wanting to rename folder.jpg to .folder.jpg for whatever reason, so I tried it. It didn't work, but when I changed it back to regular folder.jpg it then showed up as a preview. I might have to do that for all my folders and NEVER EVER move or rename them again. lol

20. jk703

Oh boy. I am not sure about that. But it does seem to revert to that yucky manila folder. I hope you find an easier way, and if you do, please share, lol!