Recipe Managers

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by mrs2a50, Jan 28, 2020.

1. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Does anyone use Paprika? I've been a faithful user of Pepperplate for years, but now that they're going to charge, I'm looking at other options. Pepperplate is going to go to $33/year. Paprika is a $30 one-time fee, so I'm considering switching.

2. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Never tried any. But I did look up Paprika and it has some great features- the grocery list syncing is cool! I may have to come on board!

3. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

I started using Recipe Keeper last year, I really like it.
    It was significantly cheaper than Paprika and I was able to download a free trial version (limited number of recipes) to try it out first.

4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

clueless me, I love smoked paprika from trader joes!
    bwahahha
    [​IMG]

julianz, cfile, BevG and 3 others like this.
  5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Ohhhhhh Anne!!! Love you!

6. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I actually thought you were asking about recipes that have paprika in them. Lol

QuiltyMom likes this.
  7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@mrs2a50 I have a friend that just posted about using Paprika. She's been using it for years, and loves the meal planning and then grocery list creation . . .

I haven't ever tried it though, so I can't give you first-hand knowledge!

mrs2a50 likes this.
  8. mrs2a50

I have almost 1200 recipes in Pepperplate, so I have to come up with something!!

9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I use Plan To Eat. I checked out Paprika and a few others, but I've stuck with PTE for almost 10 years now!

There is a yearly charge, I think it's $39 but they always do a Black Friday sale of half off. There is a free, 100% no CC needed trial of 30 days.

What I like (AKA why I'm willing to pay):
    • There's a web app. It's okay. But the page itself is mobile friendly so I don't need the app (android). They also have an iOS app. I like not being forced to use an app.
    • I can export all my recipes out if I decided it's not worth the cost.
    • When I plan my meals, I can save the week meals into a plan and reuse. So, I have a few breakfasts that I can drop into my week and boom! Planned.
    • There's a rating system which is nice. Nicer to be: how many times I've planned the meal. I may not always rate a meal, but if I planned it 30 times, I must like it.
    • I can muli-tag, and category meals. This makes my heart happy. I can search by ingredient. Have something that needs to be used up? Search my recipes.
    • It creates a shopping list. You can customize this list and the ingredients based on where they are in the store. It complies this list too. So, if I have salt listed, it will tell be I need 1 Tbsp or whatever.
    • The developer cares and responds to inquiries. He recently added a freezer option so you can plan meals and stick them in your freezer. Then plan from the freezer.
    • There's a myriad of sorting options. Cuisine, course, main ingredient, tag, total time, rating, website (that the recipe was imported from), user (you can have 'friends' on the site)
    • Friends: This is not a social website. There is no menu drama. There is a Facebook group or a forum where you can find other users and request them to be your friend. All that means is you can see their recipes. This is nice for specialty diets, or when you are starting out and don't want to enter a bunch of meals. You can basically copy them.
    • Private: You can make recipes private. A menu service I'm trying out does this (CookSmarts). Also, when I import from America's Test Kitchen I like to make them private.
    • You can search for "with ingredients" "With ALL ingredients" Without ingredients. This is handy when I'm lazy and don't want to go to the store.
    • There's a Meal Planner that syncs with Google calendar (iCal feed). You can change a lot of the features in it.
    • You can queue meals so you can find them easier later.
    • You can add recipes from online sources by a bookletmark or by copying and pasting. This works well 90% of the time. There's a few sites I've had issues with, but not many.
    I'm sure there's more, but that's off the top of my head.

Dislikes:
    It takes some time to add in any recipes from your personal collection.
    I've been using it so long, my recipes are a total mishmash. I need to go in and sort them out better, delete some we don't like anymore, but as long as the search works great, it's pretty far down my list.
    I'd say payment: But, considering the amount I save when I use the list and planner, it's really not a lot, especially since I buy it at the Black Friday sale. The first year would be more, but I totally save more than $3.25/month in non wasted grocery trips.

And wow. That's a book. But I'm happy to answer any specific questions for you. What are your favorite features from Pepperplate?

corsicar and mrs2a50 like this.
  10. mrs2a50

@bestcee I think my biggest feature right now is to import from Pepperplate. I will be rocking in a corner if I have to move all my recipes manually.

Beyond that, sorting and categorizing. I haven't used the grocery list feature, but I might be willing to start

11. bestcee

Can you export from pepperplate?

12. mrs2a50

@bestcee - Separate but related - do you have a paid subscription to America's Test Kitchen?

13. mrs2a50

Paprika has already capitalized on this and has an import feature.

14. bestcee

Yes. LOL!
    Do you?

15. bestcee

16. mrs2a50

No! But I have always wondered if it was worth it!

I envision a phone call in our future ...

bestcee likes this.
  17. mrs2a50

bestcee likes this.
  18. bestcee

I go back and forth. Usually, I subscribe for a year, they give me a second year really cheap. I add a ton of recipes into Plan To Eat and tag them ATK. Then, the price goes up on my subscription to ATK so I cancel it. After 12-18 months they offer me a great deal, and I sign up again. :giggle So, I guess I don't like the high price ($72/year) but I do like less than $50. Mostly because they add a lot of the cookbooks (not all, but they are doing more lately) into the website. That means when I borrow a book from the library or see the episode on TV I can add it to PTE without manually typing it. I love being able to access cooks country and ATK, especially with the episodes available through the website.

Since I'm trying to curb my cooking subscription habit, I decided to try CookSmarts this year instead of renewing ATK. I like that it's teaching me more 'real life' cooking skills like dependencies and prep ahead work. It's also teaching me to try a few new things. I won't renew because I feel like it's more of a 'one and done' type subscription? I like most of the recipes, but since I don't eat fish/seafood, and there's at least 1 seafood dish every week, it's annoying. Now, it's teaching me to think about substitutions, which is cool, but still not something I'll keep after my year is up.

So, I'm sure next year ATK will send me a deal and I'll resign up. Because I always find worthwhile stuff there!

mrs2a50 likes this.
  19. bestcee

That's a good thought!

20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

First thought was the same as Anne's... yeah I have some paprika in my spice cabinet. :giggle

Second though... wait? You guys don't just email your recipes to yourselves and store them haphazardly in a folder in your gmail? Huh.

klee73010 and cfile like this.