JAN 27 - Paintstroke Picture

Discussion in 'MOC 2020 Challenges' started by Dalis, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

JANUARY 27: Paintstroke Picture

Welcome to Day 27 of MOC 2020!!!

I know you already may have read the title and freaked out a little, so breathe in.... breathe out....

When I think of paintrokes I think of the texture the paintbrush leaves behind in the substrate (canvas, paper, etc).

The challenge for today is to mimic the textures left behind by a brush and make them prominent in your photo, this is not a mask challenge even though as you can see in my final page I did used a mask to enhance the texture effect created by using blend modes.

MOC27BeforeAfterPic.jpg

In my example I did a few things to create that texture you see in the photo.
    1. I used some of NBK's dynamic brushes from the mini kit and blended them with some of the following blend modes: Lighter color, Screen and Overlay.
    2. I used some of NBK's Grey Paintstrokes (from the paintstroke folder) used the Soft Light blend mode. (Play with all the dark grey paintstrokes and this blend mode, it is so much fun!)
    3. All these previous layers were on top of my picture and since I was losing a bit of the clarity of my picture I added a copy of my picture on top of all these layers with a PIN LIGHT blend mode. This brought back my picture. (Play with the opacity and see if you want less picture clarity coming through.)
    4. With the addition of my PIN LIGHT layer the textures were a bit subtle, so I added more paintstrokes (paintstroke folder) from the mini kit. All the grey ones are with a SOFT LIGHT blend mode and all the white Gesso ones are with a LINEAR BURN blend.
    5. I wanted to give a more intense canvas texture look to the entire page so I used one of the papers from the mini kit and blended with COLOR BURN blend mode.
    6. Finally, I used some of NBK's mini brushes to create my own mask and mask my picture. I am using the same paper (but you don't have to) as my background as I did in the previous step.
    BLENDMODE.jpg

Here is the amazing mini kit that our fabulous Nicole of NBK's Design has put together for all of you! To know more about NBK's products are for some of the most amazing tutorials visit her YouTube Channel: NBK DESIGN TUTORIALS. (To download please click on the mini kit preview.)

nbk-MOC8.jpg

My page:

nbk-MOC8-DAY27Final.jpg

Elisa's page
    Using: Paint Design Strokes by NBK (paintstroke7, paintstroke3, & paintstroke4 in photo) & other parts of the kit on my page + Opposites Attact from NBK
    SweetByElisa.jpg

Sheri's page:
    Using: Paint Design Strokes by NBK - Canvas paper | Gesso - Paints 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (some duplicated multiple times) | Paintstroke 3, 9
    Sheri_MOC8_D27.jpg

The special rules for this challenge:

* The objective of this challenge is to use paint/gesso/paint texture and blend modes to make your photo look painted. This challenge is not just using a mask. It is to see the paint stroke texture left behind by using blend modes on your picture/pictures.

* Mimic the textures left behind by a brush and make them prominent in your main focus photo using AT LEAST 3 items from NBK's download kit. Include the name of the products used from the mini kit to create the focal photo texture.

* Your brush/gesso/paint texture should be prominent in your main focus photo.

* You must use the kit provided to create the paint texture on your photo. You MAY NOT use an ACTION, APP, or other automation to create the texture.

The general requirements:

- Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges.
    - Your page must be posted in three places:

1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    - Your page must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    KarenW, bellbird, KarenB and 2 others like this.
  2. Dalis

Questions and Clarifications will go here . . .

question - is it ok to use a photo mask just to make the edges have that painty, uneven look, as long as we're not depending on the mask to create the paint texture in the photo? Thanks!

YES! 100% yes, that's what I did in my example. After adding all that texture my example didn't seem right to me so the mask was the finishing touch!

question - I've had a time to think about how to do this in Artisan as I sit here getting everything transferred over to my new computer. I'm guessing that we'd put down a gesso or paint, add a blend effect to it, then mess with the intensity, color, opaqueness, etc. to get what we want. I'll play around with it once I've got everything up and running again.

EXACTLY, You've got this! You have all the brushes in PNG form.

question - Can you use a second smaller accent photo?

Yes, you can!

question - What are dynamic brushes?

These brushes have special features (or settings), they might rotate, they might multiply and create scattering. In addition if you are using a tablet like a wacom you can control the pressure of the brushes and it behaves kind of a real brush.

Here is a video by one of NBK's CT gals:

question: I've been playing and haven't quite figured out what to do. I can place paints on top of photo, recolor and flatten, but I'm not sure how to blend. Is there a blending function?

In the original post you will see a pulldown menu that shows where the blend modes are. You just need to make your paintstroke layer ACTIVE and then using the pull down menu you can change the blend more.

THIS PULL DOWN MENU:
    BLENDMODE.jpg

question: How do I do this in Artisan?

Jan posted this. (THANKS JAN!!!!) I'm going off memory here since I'm still installing everything, but if you right-click on the element it'll bring up a menu. Go to Effects and Add an Effect (It starts with one, so you may be able to edit that). Then choose Blend, and from there you can choose what you want to blend it with: color, paper... I think it gives you 50% blend, but if you change the slider that will change. If you go to 100% then you will loose the textures of the element, so maybe afterwares tweaking the hue/color/contrast will give you the effect you're looking for.

question: Can I use my iPad, anything other than PS/PSE and an APP to create my page?

Of course, you can use whatever program you use to digi-scrap. NOW.... you cannot use an APP that it's only purpose it's to add texture or filters to add textures to photos. You must create the paint texture on your photo using whatever software you use to digi-scrap by using pieces of the mini kit provided.

question: Do I need to use the brushes on my picture?

NOPE, but you have to use AT LEAST 3 items other items from the mini kit to create the paint texture on your photo. Modify blend modes and opacity to create the texture.

question: I can't use brushes in my software?

Don't use them. See previous answer.

cfile likes this.
  3. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

OK! Deep breath! I am hoping that this works as easily in PSE as it looks in PS.

Dalis likes this.
  4. Dalis

It is! Use your blend modes and the opacity. Have fun and keep breathing!

5. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Super fun challenge Dalis! I love playing with all of the textures.

Here is my page in the gallery:
    [​IMG]

Karen, nhudao, Trish and 9 others like this.
  6. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

Awesome challenge Dalis AND a freebie by NBK!!!! Wowsers! :banana

patsyt, Dalis and NBK-Design like this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Awesome challenge, Dalis and thanks for the mini kit from Nicole!

Dalis and NBK-Design like this.
  8. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the early post and challenge Dalis and thank you Nicole for the mini kit.

9. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

Here is my attempt. I'm a beginner at brushes and varying opacities so I hope this is OK.

[​IMG]

10. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Thank you Nicole @NBK-Design for the free mini and thank you @Dalis for hosting.
    on the photo - from the given kit, Gesso brush in white with soft light and one of the dynamic brushes in blue with multiply (reduced opacity)
    Then the photo onto the page I used a mask and one of the brushes in the given mini kit down both side of the photo.
    I painted with one of the given brushes the blue on the side of the page.
    Background paper - I used one of the papers in the given mini kit.

[​IMG]

11. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

I created an ATC for this challenge:
    From the mini-kit I used:
    1. the canvas paper,
    2. paintstroke #2 to create a mask for the photo,
    3. gesso paints3 along the left side, recolored to blend better with the photo,
    4. paintstroke #9 across the bottom with an overlay blend mode and opacity at 60%.
    The photo itself has been used twice. The top layer has a darker color blend mode at 100% opacity. The second photo layer, at 75% opacity and normal blend mode, is under the two paintstrokes, right above the BG paper. The lone walnut on the right side of the photo has been extracted and added back with no manipulation except for a drop shadow to make it stand out. To further the idea that the photo is a painting, I purposely wrote over the knit basket.

[​IMG]

Dalis, lorieh, trekmom and 4 others like this.
  12. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

Some people are so fast!!! I'm going to start now! :D

Dalis likes this.
  13. CarolynJoyce77

CarolynJoyce77 Snozberries? Who ever heard of a snozberry?!

I used one of NBK brushes on my photo and I painted parts back in so the faces were not streaked.
    [​IMG]

Dalis, trekmom and flowersgal like this.
  14. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Thanks for the breathe instructions and the fabulous freebies.

[​IMG]
    Paint strokes 5, 9 & 10 soft light, saturation
    Gesso paints: 4,5,6 soft light, linear burn
    Paper canvas color burn

Dalis and threadjungle like this.
  15. *gina*

*gina* It's all about the 3-C's

Thank you so much for this gorgeous challenge, @Dalis and for the freebie @NBK-Design
    For my photo I used paintstroke texture, paintstroke red, paintstroke paint yellow and the canvas paper for more texture - the raindrops are part of the photo

[​IMG]

wvsandy, trekmom, bjc and 2 others like this.
  16. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

Here is my edited layout. I added more gesso paints to the photo.

[​IMG]

Dalis, trekmom and NBK-Design like this.
  17. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

18. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I found they show up better on a neutral/light photo....even with blending modes (I tried most of them, soft light worked best). I used Paint stroke 3 on the left side (green), gesso paints 7 & 9 (on "photo area"), used paint stroke 7 and drops for the mask, used paint stroke 5, twice, for all over paint effect. Merged it all, duplicated for photo, duplicated again, desaturated and erased part of the top layer to bring back some color....okay, TNI. lol
    [​IMG]

bjc and NBK-Design like this.
  19. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

This’ll be interesting to figure out how to do using Artisan. Let’s all share our tips!

Dalis, tinkerbell1112, Karen and 3 others like this.
  20. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Here is mine Dalis.. thank you for a fun challenge and thank you Nicole for the lovely mini kit with wonderful paint and gesso!!

The items I used on this from the mini kit: Paper-canvas, drops 1 & 3, gesso paints 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 all gessos duplicated too (dynamic brushes & regular brushes included in mini kit were used too)
    [​IMG]

DivaMom96, trekmom, bjc and 1 other person like this.