Full Moon Challenge

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by HavaDrPepper, Jan 9, 2020.

1. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

A FB group I am in of some of my closest axe murdering scrapbooking friends has come up with a photography challenge for this year.

2020 has 13 full moons https://www.space.com/16830-full-moon-calendar.html with the first one being January 10th.

I love taking photos of the moon so I am definitely in on this one. Some of the girls are Australian and live close enough to have the haze from the fires so are concerned they cannot get good photos of the full moon. I told them that sometimes that adds dimension to their photos that makes it totally stand out. Another gal says all she ever gets is a small white dot on a black background. Evidently she has not heard of zoom or a tripod!

I will be doing this so if anyone would like to join me for a different type of photography challenge, please be my guest.

blueberries likes this.
  2. zinzilah

zinzilah One step at a time

My house faces East, and that means I see the sunrise, and of course the full moon rise. :) I would like to join you, missed a beautiful almost full moon yesterday by a minute or two, will face the window today to see if I catch it emerging, I like seeing the foreground when taking photos of the Moon.

3. LilachOren

LilachOren Well-Known Member

I will defiantly try to take some photos of the moon tonight , if we will be able to see it.

4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

We were at the store last night, and the moon was so huge and beautiful. My phone is not made to capture the beauty, but I may steal a photo off the web lol

AJK likes this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

We had rain last night so I couldn't see anything and my forecast for the next couple of days is rain (better than the crap north of me though). I will keep trying and if I have to end up with a photo a day or 2 later, it will work for me. Might not be the full moon but it will be close enough!

I have windows that face south that I can scan to the east and the west and I have west windows. I usually get the best photos from my porch which is the south side of the house or out of a west window as it is going down in the morning.

Funny story. Many years ago I was able to get a photo of the moon rise and the sunset at the same time. It was early November so not too cold to be outside to take the photos. Moon rise was taken 1 minute and 2 seconds before the sunset photo. Of course I did a layout!

6. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Any tips on how to take a good moon photo? We will probably have too much cloud cover, but maybe, just maybe I'll get the opportunity.

7. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

I love full moon photos but I don't have the right lens ...

8. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

I was just thinking about this last night, that I should shoot a pic of every full moon and see how my skill changes over the year. Will definitely do this tonight. Now I just need to find a quick primer on how to do it :-D

bestcee likes this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

Google is your friend... A multitude of articles pop up when I used "moon photography".

I can say from experience that having an advanced camera is not necessary. One of my best shots of the moon was taken with a Canon S3IS camera (point and shoot). I have enlarged and framed the photo and it is hanging in my house.

The most important thing is to make sure the camera is steady. Best way to do this is use a tripod. Or the shot I took above... I sat the camera on the roof of my car! This is the photo I ended up with. IMG_5689.JPG

10. zinzilah

zinzilah One step at a time

Well. it was rather splendid this evening. I was trying to cook and played cards with my daughter, keeping an eye on the window at all times. We didn't miss it! It was worth the trouble moon8489.JPG

11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This is a fabulous idea.
    I just entered the full moon into my calendar.

12. HavaDrPepper

We have had cloudy skies for 5 days, unfortunately during the whole time the moon appears to be full! I checked every night/morning and never saw it. Failure for the first one but I will try again on February 9th.

bestcee likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I didn't get to the January one. I'm aiming for 7 out of the 13. Maybe one each day of the week? I'm hoping to get more like 12, but I'm setting a realistic goal because weather and life.